Vikings in and Around Sheffield

Apparently the Vikings weren't big on building around here but great at the gab, so apart from the odd cross and marker stones not much to see...

But language wise a lot of our words are apparently of Viking origin .

Both, law,wrong, ill, crooked, club, knife, slaughter... to name but a few...

A local-ism that we use to "pluralise" like "shoon" for "shoes" or "troon" for "trews" is also a Norse suffix.

Queen is also a Norse word

We brits love to associate ourselves with the vikings while over here in scandinavia the people very rarely mention them , its allmost as if they are embarrassed .Theres rune stones and burial mounds all over this area and no one seems to show the slightest bit of interest!

Strange that...

Anybody else noticed we live in a city named after a river that runs north.........mmmmm

Edited by grinder

There's deep viking roots in and around Sheffield. The village Styrup for instance and the Styring Family are direct decendants of Styrbjorn, one of the head pillagers

Last week I went up to Onesacre which I read was a Viking Settlement.

The old Hall is worth seeing if you have an interest in Tudor buildings.

The one building I was interested in was the old barn opposite the Hall.

Unfortunately some scroat has decided to help himself to the stone shingles on the roof

It is criminal to think this cruck structure has survived for 700 years more or less intact and now it is being wrecked.

Unhappy Days! PopT

There's deep viking roots in and around Sheffield. The village Styrup for instance and the Styring Family are direct decendants of Styrbjorn, one of the head pillagers

And the more recent pillager Wiggy Scargill.:gag:

Does the Viking Mythology fascinate anyone here?

Hi Nicky

I am interested in Viking Mythology but I do find it very hard to take it all in.

Why do you ask?

PopT

Why did the other thread about this get locked straight off? :huh: Is it a forbidden subject or something?

I am very fascinated with Lord of the Rings and that in parts , rather mostly is based on Viking Mythology.. Now that I am working on my dissertation which focusses mainly on Vikings and York,UK ...I have realized that all the heritage centres in Europe and UK deal mainly with the civiliged world of the Vikings, that is their dweelings, their occupation, lifestyle after invasion in various parts of the word but there no centres or museums which reflect on the origins of the Vikings that is from the time they evolved. How was their life then? The various ages ...Would it not be a good idea if there was some kind of a visitor attraction which reflected on this part of the Vikings?

Why did the other thread about this get locked straight off? :huh: Is it a forbidden subject or something?
I have no idea... i have trying to get people's opinion on this n also trying to collect people's perception of York and its association with Vikings solely for the purpose of my dissertation... and I have been facing constant problem with this. I had pasted an url requesting for participants for my survey and probably its being treated as spam... i have no clue ... anyways, all the entries are anonymous

The reason your other thread was closed is that we always close student research threads, and ask members to contact you by PM. We do this because we had an awful lot of students signing up purely to glean information for their project, and these types of threads add very little value to the forum. We found that the posters weren't generally interested in debating the issues and often would never be seen again.

I hope this clears the matter up, if you have any further questions, please contact the Helpdesk via the "Help and Contact Us" link.