Vikings in and Around Sheffield

old tup,

If you're serious, no, it was Stamford Bridge near York.:):suspect:

If you're joking, I apologise and crawl back under my stone.;)

Xenia,one of the largest battles in English history you refer to at Tinsley,correct me if I,m wrong but wasn,t it fought by Harold who then had to march his army south to Hastings to confront William of Normandy!.No wonder they lost they must have been knackered as they went into battle almost straight away with unlucky Harold catching the arrow in his eye!.This is the story I heard on an interesting BBC history program a while ago!.

I think you're confusing the contested sites of Brunanburh in 937 and Harold's epic march and battles in 1066.

It was a large battle, yes, but not fought by Harold II Godwinson (king in 1066 who speed-marched/rode an army 250m and fought at Stamford Bridge against a huge Viking army, slaying 90% of them near York sept 25th 1066 then speeding south to face William's Breton/French/Norman army at Hastings 3wks later)

In 937 King Athelstan, a grandson of King Alfred, raised a huge Wessex/Mercian army and marched north to fight a huge Dublin Norse/Scottish coalition (battlesite unknown), possibly 10-18,000 each side.

In a fierce battle, Athelstan prevailed in a costly slaughter.

I was told that the Birley Stone, on Jawbone Hill dates back to the Romans. Does any one know if this is true? I suspect it has nothing to do with the Romans.