Anyone here from Attercliffe? (Part 2)

Hi Tangerine

I am David Johnson and we are the ones who lived at 41 Titterton street the one on the corner. I remember all the games we used to play including Kick Can. Run around the Lump (along your bit of Titterton Street down the gennel in the middle and back along Worksop Road finishing up the hiil back at Titterton Street). Others who used to play with were David Wade, Kenneth Sidaway, Marjorie (his siter) Jacqualine Parker, Julie Hatward, Anne, Derek Capes the Graysons, etc, etc. Mum did have the newsagents on Wrksop Road until she died in 1981 and Dad just never opened it again.

Are you David Johnson the triple jumper? and did you have the newsagents on Worthing Road?

Yep the same one although I would say that it was more of a news van than a newsagents. I remember how cold it was during the winter at the corner of Worthing Road, but met some lovely and facinating people (good old Attercliffe characters) and have some very funny and interesting stories to tell

Yes, its good to wander on to these pages when ya get a bit of spare time.... wanderin down Memory Lane or Titterton Street really!! Whenever I come on here, youve not long since been gone Brooksy!! Keep it up.... and I think I been around on here nearly as long as you...

Hi to Tangerine. coudn't help myself commenting on Titerton Street. I was actually born on Titerton Street in 1950, don't know what number but we moved to Pitsmoor when i was only 3 months old so can't remember anything about it. My dads parents lived across the road, can't remember the name of the street but they were called Johnson (i assume because that was my dads name, but you never know in those days. he married my mum (Elsie) whose maiden name was Sheperd she was a divorcee and her family lived down the cliff as well, again i can't remember which road.

Les Johnson

Don,t know if i have the right era for you but it,s interesting to see those street names cropping up on here.

Hi David johnson. I think you are probably related to me, If i am correct then your dads name would be Clem, he and my dad were brothers.

Let me know if i have the correct david Johnson but all your info on the paper shop seems to ring bells.

Les Johnson

Hi Tangerine. I was born on Titerton Street in 1950, but we moved to Pitsmoor when i was 3 months old, Frippa aka David johnson is my cousin.

My mothers name was Elsie Sheperd a divorcee with a son Graham, my dad was Les Johnson

(needless to say i was named after him) I just wondered if you (or anybody else on this board) new either of my parents if you are of that era. I have been trying to piece together who my mother was married to 1st time around (Grahams father) unfotunately neither of them are alive now and never spoke of things when they were alive.

Regards Les Johnson

Hi Les

My dad was Clem Johnson and Mum Joan. I know that dad had 5 brothers plus 2 I think sisters. The ones I know of are Florence and Nora who lived in Oaks Green with Brother Mark and wife Hannah living 2 houses away. Both of them never married. Another brother Joseph died in the 1st WW at the Somme aged 17 (I still have his commendation), I also remember visiting Les and George when I was young. I lived with Dad and grandma at Titterton street. Other relatives in the area were cousin Anne, Julie who both lived on the other end of the street. The Johnson family in Attercliffe apparentely goes back to the 14th century. The vicar Robert De berry told me this when he organised the centenary of the Attercliffe Church (behind William and Glyn's bank) in 1981. All the birth, death and marriage certificates adtibng back to 1860s have a variety of Attercliffe addresses e.g. Worksop Road, Chippingham Street, Britnall Street, Oakes Green, etc. I hope this helps

David

Thanks David, good to know that long time relatives are still around.

Do you still live in the Attercliffe area ?

Les Johnson

No moved to London in 1984 as no jobs in Sheffield thanks to Thacher. I can if you wish contact someone who may be able to answer your query re your dad's first wife if you want

David

Hi David. Any information on my parents before i or my sisters were born would be brilliant as we are trying to piece together our familyls history.

I noticed you put in your message "my dads 1st wife" now i know my mother was a divorcee, but did my dad have a previous marriage as well ? or was that a typing error on your part.

If you could contact who ever you know that could fill in some gaps that would be good.

Hope you are keeping well and look forward to hearing from you.

I also have a private email address if you wanted to use that, as follows

[email protected]

Regards Les

Does any-one have any potographs of Fearnehough Street or the TEN HOUSES.

I used to live at 11 Fearnehough Street

Jackie Palmer

Does any-one have any potographs of Fearnehough Street or the TEN HOUSES.

I used to live at 11 Fearnehough Street

Jackie Palmer

Hello Jackie

I don't have any photos of Fearnehough Street, my grandma used to live on there, but I think I went to school with you. I used to live on Cottingham Street, Ann Whiteley