Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

This is my first post but I have read most of the thread and cant believe that its now 1.30 in the morning. Gosh, the memories of my childhood have come flooding back. Names and places and shops which have all made me smile.What wonderful things Ive read which I can totally relate to, from Davisons & Langtons to Sheldons chippy and the fair near Colley park. Bushbabys comments ar v familiar and resonant of my era because you grew up with my brother and the names of his friends keep being repeated on here. Like bushbaby our family was a large one and I am the youngest of the Senior clan.My mum is still alive and is 87-she lives independantly and is still as marvellous as ever.She put up with some rubbish from my dad who often frequented the Colley club and Tavern-staggering back inebriated especially on Saturday afternoons for his Roasted beef and roast potatoes mum had cooked. I dont know which of the Bushs you are Im thinking Michael perhaps?? my mum and sister Linda have seen John on numerous occasions and he stopped me once in Morrisons saying that "I had got to be one of the Seniors!". Its lovely to hear so many nice memories from childhood and remembering fondly the characters-I remember Maureen Fox-her mum was Mrs Ganley who came in Corbidges newsagents where I worked at weekends. My best mate was Janice Lee whos mum was the infamous Mrs Lee who worked in the chippy. She was lovely and couldnt half chat.Look forward to reading more of the history of Parson Cross. Also- as for Clevelands garage and the "brainwave" of the thoroughfare between Chaucer and Wordsworth I still bear the scar on my face of that bloody slab that nearly killed me whilst playing in those derelict garages!!

I dont know which of the Bushs you are Im thinking Michael perhaps?? !!

Stephen - a year older than your Steven.

Are you Tracey?

My wife lived on Mansel Crescent when I first met her in 1959: as you say, it's nowhere near as good now PX5.

Hi Bushbaby-yes I am Tracey. I saw the picture last year i the Star and our Steve is def on there-I also think our Linda is too although she saw it and didnt think it was her! Mum was going to write into the Star about it and decided not to.Mum definitely recognised the kids on it and has it in her house now. She always speaks very highly of you all and is appreciative of you sending your best wishes. She is a gem-she truly is! I remember your mum really well too-often beavering away at the top of Mr Cannons garden.I can remember your dad who seemed to be a very quiet gentleman. All my brothers and sisters are alive and well except for as you will be well aware of Wendy and you will most likely remember more about her than I did. Steve lives near my mum on Longley and busy being a very hands on Grandad to his 5 grandchildren! He looks the same but is the image of my dad even down to the bald head!! (he wud hate me for that lol!)

All my brothers and sisters are alive and well except for as you will be well aware of Wendy and you will most likely remember more about her than I did.

Yeah, I remember Wendy well. Lovely girl. We'll have a chat about her sometime. I'll try to get to see Steve when I'm next over that end of town

We're all agreed it is your Linda BTW

i lived on the cross moving from spilsby to milrow cres, i remember the big blue van that had everything on it going down deerlands ave!!!!!

i lived on the cross moving from spilsby to milrow cres, i remember the big blue van that had everything on it going down deerlands ave!!!!!

are you talking about alfs food van,, im sure he lived on deerlands avenue near to deerlands mount but also do you remember the fletchers vans on the cross,, they always came on chaucer and sold food from back of van but i wonder if alfs van still about and if so, i guess it must be a relative doing it now

Fletchers retail vans were a common site on The Cross (and all over Sheffield I guess) up until the early seventies. It was a special treat to get your hands on a custard or a bilberry charlotte. They really were very tasty and it was easy to see why Fletchers became a national institution. BTW. Do we know if Rolf's murel was destroyed in the fire?

Fletchers retail vans were a common site on The Cross (and all over Sheffield I guess) up until the early seventies. It was a special treat to get your hands on a custard or a bilberry charlotte. They really were very tasty and it was easy to see why Fletchers became a national institution. BTW. Do we know if Rolf's murel was destroyed in the fire?

who was rolf :confused: but i do remember the fletchers vans well but i was born in 72,, they must have finished the rounds altogether around 79 to 80 ish

Edited by Richard PX5

who was rolf :

Rolf Harris's murel, from Pond's Forge Baths, was bought by Paul Fletcher and put into the Bakehouse on Claywheels Lane, when the swimming pool closed down. I guess it must have been fire-damaged on that fateful day (you could see the smoke from Norfolk Park flats on the tram) but it would be nice to know for sure

Rolf Harris's murel, from Pond's Forge Baths, was bought by Paul Fletcher and put into the Bakehouse on Claywheels Lane, when the swimming pool closed down. I guess it must have been fire-damaged on that fateful day (you could see the smoke from Norfolk Park flats on the tram) but it would be nice to know for sure

i remember the murel now but it was at sheaf valley baths what got demolished but it may have gone over to ponds forge when it opened up but i am not sure,,we was at glynn webbs on kilner way when te fire broke out,, they closed all the roads and resients in the local area told to keep windows closed due to toxic chemicals but was a coincidence when northern foods who owned fletchers just put clay wheels site up for sale just before the fire,,was it an insurance job????