Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

Kellys lived on the left looking up the hill from Wheata Brewits live opposite on the corner , Hills lived opposite at 1 Wheata , never Knew of a blind man on the corner , and I lived there from '47 till '65

Dad lived there till a couple of years ago 50 + years in the same house

i knew a blind bloke called booth who lived on rokeby.

Mick Fox ,Dave DuffyPat Smythe John White,Ray Ransome? "Gary "Billy" Cotton? and is that Bob Odams as manager

That's not the team he was referring to; I'll send a link to the 1966 foto shortly

Bush baby saw somewhere you had photos of the Mansel v Tommy Moores final in 66 .I know or think I know you`ve put photos in Retro in the Star any chance you`d be putting those in

I've put it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/bushbaby387/

I only have Thommy More's

if you want Mansell, go to the central library and look through the Green'Uns for May 1966 (the week after wednesday lost at wembley). Sounds laborious but it's actually fun :cool:

May well do that ,our kid was in the Mansel side and took a whack on the back of the head with a stick at the end off one of you rough tommy moors types ;)

Did any of the names i suggested for your Parson cross photo ring any bells

May well do that ,our kid was in the Mansel side and took a whack on the back of the head with a stick at the end off one of you rough tommy moors types ;)

Did any of the names i suggested for your Parson cross photo ring any bells

They sure did

Who was your brother? I can remember Roger Waldron, Kevin Hill, ?? Dixon, John Spencer, Sparky (Steve Parkin?), Bogey (Hogan?)

I didn't do it!:suspect:

My brothers, Jim, Bob and Glyn Jackson and my sister, Marilyn lived on the cross about the time if Gee or ruwerin, (50s and early 60s) I wonder if anyone can remember any of them.

My brothers, Jim, Bob and Glyn Jackson and my sister, Marilyn lived on the cross about the time if Gee or ruwerin,.

They're probably a bit older than me, but I'll ask my brothers...

They're probably a bit older than me, but I'll ask my brothers...

Ta for that. They all left shortly after I was born so it`d be interesting to find out what they were like when they were kids.

Ta for that. They all left shortly after I was born so it`d be interesting to find out what they were like when they were kids.

Well, if they were Parson Cross kids then they would have been right out of the top drawer

:hihi:

I know my family were the first ones in on Holgate avenue after the house was built and Im not sure if my oldest brother was born on the cross but I know the others were. I can remember my dad telling me about things that went off in the war and how theres a patch on the side of the house where it was damaged by a German bomb that was way off target and had to be repaired.

He also told me about a dogfight between a Hurricaine or Spitfire and a Me 109 over the cross and described how the Brit herded the German over to the area where no houses had been biult (at this point he pointed over towards Barnsley road and the Colley area) and said that once over the countryside the Brit `Let the bugger have all barrels!` and the ME went down in that area.

He also told me that one summer evening after work, when there was talk of a German invasion that he was sitting on the front doorstep of number 90, having a quiet cig and letting his dinner settle, when a load of heavily camoflagued troops all stood up at once in the field where the flats are now....

My dad thought they were Germans and in fine family tradition he squealed like a girl and instantly surrendered!

Turned out they were the home guard practising.

They sure did

Who was your brother? I can remember Roger Waldron, Kevin Hill, ?? Dixon, John Spencer, Sparky (Steve Parkin?), Bogey (Hogan?)

I didn't do it!:suspect:

He was Tash. Bob Ashford ,sweet left foot if I remember correctly ,he had trials and was accepeted at Hillsboro but refused to sign because he didnt like Macanery who was in charge of the kids at the time .Still alive and kicking at Elsecar

I used to see Sparky and Kevin Hill at the Lane(pubs around) until a couple of years back .Fenner (John Spencer)passed away a good 20 odd years back and it was Trevor Dixon the name your looking for

He was Tash. Bob Ashford ,sweet left foot if I remember correctly ,he had trials and was accepeted at Hillsboro but refused to sign because he didnt like Macanery who was in charge of the kids at the time

I knew Tash well - we were paper boys together (see my "Gee'or Ruwerin Blog")

Are you two or three years younger? Ginger hair? Used to be a big Roxy Music fan?

I think you lived next door to Dodo