Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

The first school in Parson Cross was opened in 1630.

Is that Parson Cross School, on Parson Cross RD @ Wadsley Bridge? If so, that area was known as Parson Cross before the current estate was built and was the source of the name.

Not sure where the name comes from in that instance though.

Fan-Tastic!!

You don't get slogans like that today

We uses to use their shop doorway to do the "Harry Worth"

(If you don't know what that means ask your mum or dad)

Yeah im old enough to remember Harry Worth:(

I can even remember when the betting shop was a chemist.

Yeah im old enough to remember Harry Worth:(

I can even remember when the betting shop was a chemist.

The Chemist's has gone?

oh dear what a shame !!!!!Tigerman beat you to it .........
sorry i dont know what you mean you beat me i have not been in competition against you.

sorry i dont know what you mean you beat me i have not been in competition against you.

Tony, you got post number 2000! (Top right corner of each comment) Not a competition, just a little bit of fun.

:razz:

you've completely missed the point !!

you've completely missed the point !!

whats going on??? i thought the p.x forum was for discussions,,not a boxing match. i thought it was a forum for our memories past and present on the forum for all to share and not for people scoring points off eachother. sad to read :(

Is that Parson Cross School, on Parson Cross RD @ Wadsley Bridge? If so, that area was known as Parson Cross before the current estate was built and was the source of the name.

Not sure where the name comes from in that instance though.

You are the historian not me !.

i lived in Parson Cross in the fourties and the fifties when you could leave your doors open and neighbours were friends and helped each other. Nowadays people will steal your door rather than close it, thank god I moved away. In see that many properties have been knocked down to create open spaces, more needs to be knocked down unless Bushbaby moves back to his roots and does another book about how to regenerate his roots.

The first school in Parson Cross was opened in 1630.

Is that Parson Cross School, on Parson Cross Rd @ Wadsley Bridge?

If so, that area was known as Parson Cross before the current estate was built and was the source of the name.

It can't be Parson Cross School - not with that 1630 date.

Parson Cross School was built some 200 years later, in 1829, as "Hannah Rawson School for Girls, (121) Halifax Road, Sheffield."

The Grade II listed building still bears a plaque above the door with the inscription:

"This school for girls was built at the sole expense of Miss Hannah Rawson of Wardsend. Endowed with £10 per annum. A.D. 1829".

Agreed though that Parson Cross did start life as a very small area "on'tuther side o' Halifax Rooad." Long ago, that area also contained a cricket ground.

In around 1858, a Government licence was granted to store gunpowder on Southey Green Road "At Toadhole in the hamlet of Southey." The magazines were only a couple of hundred yards from the School itself and Toadhole (Ritz) school kids certainly had to walk past them. I understand that Toadhole Magazines didn't close until about 1930.

Health and Safety Executive must have been pretty slack back in them days !

"This school for girls was built at the sole expense of Miss Hannah Rawson of Wardsend. Endowed with £10 per annum. A.D. 1829".

would this be the same "RAWSON " for whom Rawson's Infants School was named in Ecclesfield Village ?

"This school for girls was built at the sole expense of Miss Hannah Rawson of Wardsend. Endowed with £10 per annum. A.D. 1829."

Would this be the same "RAWSON " for whom Rawson's Infants School was named in Ecclesfield Village ?

It would appear likely but I couldn't confirm that.