Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

Blockhead by name and nature. Your name Richard by any chance? ********:loopy:

:clap::clap::clap:

Well said Lynblu. I was born on the cross and loved the short time i was there.I then moved to Low Edges which was another council estate but still had the same friendly people. As i said in a previous post i think his name is Richard Head!

What a Carte Blanche/snobbish attitude. Parson Cross is not all bad, yes I agree there are the low life on the estate, but Parson Cross is not unique in having its share. As for council tenants (spelling), what's your downer on them? I actually own my own home (no mortgage) but I was brought up in a council house & it's never done me any harm. I was born & brought up in Attercliffe & I'm proud of the fact, loved every moment & will always remain very close to friends & neighbours from 'down there'. We moved to Parson Cross in 72, close to where my maternal grandparents lived & my mum originated from. I still live (albeit in a different house) in the area & I love it. Fantastic friends/neighbours & I can't see me ever moving. It really riles me when the 'let's knock Parson Cross' brigade start spouting off & as for knocking council tenants .......... I'd best sign off now :rant:

well said lyn,, what a negative attitude he has,, so why the difference between council tenants and private,, most houses on parson cross are council compared with such as grenoside, so just because we lived in a council house does not make council tenants bad people,, parson cross may not be up there with snobby estates but i loved living on parson cross and i know its gone down hill over the last few years with demolition work,ect,, but it can only get better in years to come,,,,hang in there cross:banana:

does anyone remember the big stone cross on St Pauls church getting struck by lightening and having to be taken down cos it was dangerous, and then replaced with the wooden one. i also remember Pete Herring from Wordsworth ave climbing up the tower onto the old stone cross, under cover of darkness ofcourse.

Yes I remember it well. It landed in the Rookers' garden next door but one from us. I lived at #583, my family name is Marshall. When they erected the new wooden cross, my picture was on the front of the Star as I was one of a bunch of kids sat on the wall watching the crane operate.

i saw jimmy clithero at "the lyceum" in the 50's also went to see ruby murray and eddie calvert [the man with the golden trumpet] there too, all of them were brilliant, as for the fruit n veg man with the horse and cart, i remember my dad and mr titman across the road from us bidding against each other for the bucket of horse sh*t. happy days.

The fruit n veg man was my Great Uncle Charlie - My Mum's uncle.

My Uncle Len, Mum's brother, was also in the fruit and veg trade he had a shop at Sheffiled Lane Top.

I remember the family drama when Uncle Charlie's horse died, it was a bit like that episode in Steptoe and Son.

PS csidesue- I sent you a PM

I was born in Parson cross, moved to heeley when I was around 2 I think

I was born in Parson cross, moved to heeley when I was around 2 I think

I was born on Parson Cross in the 1940s, then it was a friendly area when people helped each other and you could go out and leave your house unlocked.

thankfully I moved away in the 1960s and would not wish to move back there for love nor money.

Passing through the area it now seems to resemble Beiruit or similar, problems with drugs and other things. I feel sory for the decent people who still have to live there.

I was born on Parson Cross in the 1940s, then it was a friendly area when people helped each other and you could go out and leave your house unlocked.

thankfully I moved away in the 1960s and would not wish to move back there for love nor money.

Passing through the area it now seems to resemble Beiruit or similar, problems with drugs and other things. I feel sory for the decent people who still have to live there.

No different to umpteen other estates up & down the country, yes there are the undesirables same as anywhere else. My brother's a builder & has worked building some beautiful houses in areas where you would assume trouble & vandalism doesn't exist. Wrong, as fast as the windows are put in, bricks are hurled through the glass & vandalism is rife. The World was a different place in the 60s, times have changed & (I hasten to add I don't for one minute think they're changing for the better) we have to change with them.............

Yes I remember it well. It landed in the Rookers' garden next door but one from us. I lived at #583, my family name is Marshall. When they erected the new wooden cross, my picture was on the front of the Star as I was one of a bunch of kids sat on the wall watching the crane operate.

I think your memory is playing tricks , as the cross never actually fell off the tower , it certainly cracked and twisted , but was held fast by it's re-enforcing steel rods

are you Brian Marshall ? if so ,

I married your god parents daughter who lived at 585

Edited by disleydog

I think your memory is playing tricks , as the cross never actually fell off the tower , it certainly cracked and twisted , but was held fast by it's re-enforcing steel rods

are you Brian Marshall ? if so ,

I married your god parents daughter who lived at 585

You know I could have sworn blind that the cross fell right off. I think it may have been a remark from someone who said 'it would have landed in Rookers garden' that stuck in my mind.

I'm Keith, Brian is my brother - seven years younger. I remember Albert being in our house when Brian was being born upstairs. My folks and the Millwards must have lived next door to each other for around fifty years!

Say 'hello' to Anita if she remembers me. I will always have fond memories of Uncle Albert in his garden and dear old Auntie Dot. Robert too was a good mate.

Cheers, nice to hear from you.

I heared it fell off and smashed the vicars mini!

Its odd how these legends start isnt it?

I heared it fell off and smashed the vicars mini!

Its odd how these legends start isnt it?

It certainly is.

I am fairly sure the vicar never wore a mini....