Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

Best night I ever had in Colley was seeing Bobby Knutt at his peak (1974 ish)

It was one of those nights when you laugh so much your jaw hurts all next day. Around the same time, Charlie Williams and Marti Caine were both class acts who played there regularly. Resident musicians were Don & Jean. Jean was a big lady, in every sense of the word, and Don was like Jimmy Clitheroe.

I remember when Wally Beer's dad was arrested for breaking into the one-armed bandit. Three months later he was on the committee! Corrupt? You do the math

PS: Saw Jimmy Clitheroe at The Lyceum in panto ('64 I guess). Brilliant!!

Jimmy would go in the Adelphi pub at lunch time , he bought me a couple of pints when I was laid of the building site due to bad weather , good bloke.

Yes Walter is my uncle he is in wheelchair now I played golf with him every Sunday at my grandads on the garden we also took him fishing and he was a good fisherman

Yes remember Walt good mate of my dad john wragg(big john) as kids me and my brother knew there were something different but to us Walt were just Walt. Always used to come to our partys Christmas eve,last time I saw Walt he told me about him and my dad going to town boozing and missing last bus home so he said my dad carried all the way home back to cross.

During the late 40's I lived in Masters Rd. We used to go camping but I can't fix in my mind where we used to go. I think we used to walk up Matchbox Lane (probably got the name wrong. We used to walk by a railway line, the camp spot was by a stream, one side of the stream was wooded, the other side was a slope with huge boulders on it. It's a long shot but can anyone be more specific as to the location? As far as I remember we didn't use any public transport.

no railway line up saltbox. jane.

The railway is just the other side of the hill from saltbox.Are the big rocks the crags? not that far from jawbone,the stream I haven't a clue.Have a look on google earth janner and see if it rings any bells.I used to do the same walk as you describe and loved it up there.It would have been 20 yrs after your walks round grenoside.

I lived on Remington avenue right outside volley school gates.(but for some reason went to yew lane school.).next door lived the gunn family.the other side David and jean whittam. Been trying to find David Whitman for years .mates at school were George Rodgers.roger cannon.Rod pettifer. Dave fisher.Ian roach.

Thank you all for the help, I will Google Earth a good looking at. It was while thinking of those days , I remembered for my 15th birthday I asked all my relatives for money instead of gifts. My dream came true, I had enough money to buy a sheath knife, it was about 10" long, including hilt which was made with rings of leather. We used to rough it, we built bivouacs instead of using tents.

There is a Rod Petifer who used to work at Paper Mill in Wharncliffe Side who is now retired and lives in Oughtibridge.

The railway is just the other side of the hill from saltbox.Are the big rocks the crags? not that far from jawbone,the stream I haven't a clue.Have a look on google earth janner and see if it rings any bells.I used to do the same walk as you describe and loved it up there.It would have been 20 yrs after your walks round grenoside.

Grenoside seems to be where we camped, it looks right except no stream, it was 70 yrs ago, maybe the stream has ceased to exist. The stream was about 6ft wide ,probably 1ft deep, with a good flow. We used to drink water straight from the stream, AND I AM STILL HERE!

When I was a kid, there used to be a stream that would exit Grenoside woods, just opposite the pub. There was a trough with an iron cup on a chain from which we used to drink the water.

When I was a kid, there used to be a stream that would exit Grenoside woods, just opposite the pub. There was a trough with an iron cup on a chain from which we used to drink the water.

Thanks for that, the old memory was correct, it would be nice to be back there then.