Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

Had a great day at the new "Learning Zone" yesterday. (For those not familiar, it is built on the site of the houses on Wordsworth, between Deerlands Ave and Buchanan Rd - the old 49 bus stop) Part of a team arranging a few social events for The Cross throughout the summer. They have my book in the library, although it was out when I tried to find it. The area in front of thee building is called "Chaucer Square"

Anyone remember the original Wordsworth Tavern?when was it knocked down and re-built?

Anyone remember the original Wordsworth Tavern?when was it knocked down and re-built?

The old Tavern was a small flat roofed building with the entrance on Wordsworth. Great place for "Penny-for-the-Guy". Not sure exactly but it was rebuilt about 66/67.

I started at Newboulds,then Gillotts who made the best bread of them all, then i finished up at Fletchers for a few years.

You seem to have done a lot of 'loafing' around :hihi:

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 15:20 ----------

Yes, there was an off licence counter round the back which sold hot pork pies

Fond memories of the cross... did anyone attend Chaucer, I used to teach there for 20 years.

My brother Brian Marshall went there and my cousin Pamela Green was Head Girl

I remember my mom telling me to go and get dad from the tavern every weekend after a dinner time session and bring him home in time for tea. He once had an altercation (scuffle) outside and in later years after a visit to the Northern General he was told he had a small fracture to his skull but never had any side effects. Unfortunatly he died at a relatively young age due to pneumonicosis after working down the coal mines.The "new tavern was my local from 1969 untill i moved in 1974 to another part of Sheffield.I went back a few times but things change and people move on so it felt totaly different. Old names : Kenny Wright ,Joe Dempsey,Pat Deakin, plus many more

The old Tavern was a small flat roofed building with the entrance on Wordsworth. Great place for "Penny-for-the-Guy". Not sure exactly but it was rebuilt about 66/67.

about right , methinks it was '68

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 19:24 ----------

My brother Brian Marshall went there and my cousin Pamela Green was Head Girl

Hi Keith not seen you on here for a while , hope you are well

Old names : Kenny Wright ,Joe Dempsey,Pat Deakin, plus many more

Kenny was a nice kid. :)

Joe was a bully.:gag:

Yes Kenny was a nice guy,He was to be my best man but became ill just before the wedding and I had to get a replacement pretty sharp.He was my drinking mate for a few years, after many nights going to the top rank with no joy (girl wise) we said that if we had no luck that saturday it would be our last visit I met my wife that night and after 39 years the rest is history.

yes Joe(not with us now) could be a bully and a scrounger, I remember lending him 50p which bought 4 pints in the Tavern and he dodged me for 2 weeks untill he came in one giro day and I shouted acroos the pub Where's my money? to which he threw it at me and said he would not lend off me ever again RESULT!!

Still on the Cross, love it here. It's been my home for nearly 30 years.

Where's my money? to which he threw it at me and said he would not lend off me ever again RESULT!!

Reminds me of Tony Ball! He would borrow half-a-quid then start an argument if you asked for it back. I only made the mistake once....

Too right I had forgot about T B and his antics we put up with him for a couple of months then bailed out, I saw him walking near Hilsborough corner only last week (obviously on his own) he looked even bigger than he did back then.

My brother Alan used to run Colley youth club football team, Glen Thorpe Colin Gregory,Ralph Hill, Dennis Moore, and more players and followers some names i struggle to remember