Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

used to know the oldest lad in the newell family,remember he was in the army and didnt like going back when on leave,m.p used to come and fetch him.believe one of his young brothers was killed on motorbike at the island bottom of chaucer

CLICK THE RITZ CINEMA

CLICK THE RITZ CINEMA

Has The Ritz Cinema (Parson Cross) been demolished yet ?

(Built on a site previously occupied by farm buildings known as Toad Hole. Cinema opened 6th December 1937- Cinema closed 9th November 1966)

Has anyone got any photos ?

My wife was telling me something about the ritz roof so we drove past on saturday the 2nd .It has now been demolished ,the ritz is no more.its been derelict for years ,im suprised its not been pulled down long ago.I bet they build flats on it now.

Hi Rabitter,

The eldest lad is Pete Newell lives in Stanington now.We were in the Army together served in the Y&L Pete left the Army in 1967. The name of his brother was Mike.

Anyone remember the Newell family lived on Chaucer Rd about three houses down from the Wragg family.

Did you know the wragg family well? My dad john wragg passed away in summer last year

My wife Pat know the Family very well she used to visit them regular when she was younger she know your Grandma and Grandad and also your aunts and uncles.

Edited by 7684
Add more text

Just got the Star on my kindle fire, now can read it every day from afar, and best of all for a Yorkshire Man ,it's FREE

Anyone remember the Newell family lived on Chaucer Rd about three houses down from the Wragg family.

I knew the two younger brothers, Brian and Andy, both very good footballers. They had a nephew who lived with 'em for a while called Roy Bona, who was older than his Uncle Andy!

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 17:56 ----------

For all those who wanted fotos of The Ritz during it's demolition, I've posted a few onto my "Flickr" page and made them available for Public Viewing!

Enjoy!! :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bushbaby387/

My wife is Andy and Brian's sister, Roy as you say is there nephew.Andy was offered a trial with Sheffield United the manager or boss of the blades at that time went to there house to ask him to attend trials but he refused.

joan

you must have been the first class in ,it had only just opened in 51 i think

hi i went to yewlane in 1951

My late sister Muriel must have started Yew Lane as soon as it first opened too. :)

My wife is Andy and Brian's sister, Roy as you say is there nephew.Andy was offered a trial with Sheffield United the manager or boss of the blades at that time went to there house to ask him to attend trials but he refused.

Yeah, Andy was a bit spesh. Him and John Denby were the two best footballers on The Cross from that age group, although they rarely played together which was a bit of shame!

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 14:23 ----------

I came across this letter in the Sheffield Archives a few days ago

Rowdy Behaviour

To, Chief Inspector Codina, Ecclesfield Police,

From, The Clerk, JH Oliver, Ecclesfield Parish Council, Miners’ Welfare Hall, Chapeltown.

“I am directed by the Parish Council to ask you if you can do anything to put a stop to the rowdy behaviour of children, many of them teenagers, round the shops in Margetson Crescent, Parson Cross Estate”

It was dated January 1954!! Plus ca Change!!:gag:

Edited by Bushbaby