Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

Anty maureen remembers its well,she started laughing about this story.Uncle Mick and my Dad worked away alot.

ha ha,,i cant believe she remembers,,im going back 30 years now-tell her i said hello

Hi again Forumers. Been feeling nostalgic lately and wondering what happened to old friends from Parson Cross. Johnny Briggs and Meryl Wroe from Holgate Avenue (Adlington Road end) and Heather Barrie from the other end. Also would love to hear from/about John Bennett and Anne Grayson, who both lived on Turie Crescent. I'm talking about the mid-60's, which strangely enough is the age we all are, now. Any information would be gratefully received. :)

Edited by Twinnie1
spelling mistake!

Hi again Forumers. Been feeling nostalgic lately and wondering what happened to old friends from Parson Cross. Johnny Briggs and Meryl Wroe from Holgate Avenue (Adlington Road end) and Heather Barrie from the other end. Also would love to hear from/about John Bennett and Anne Grayson, who both lived on Turie Crescent. I'm talking about the mid-60's, which strangely enough is the age we all are, now. Any information would be gratefully received. :)

if you message bushbaby i reacon he will know as he is brilliant on here on the p x forum

I see its (The Wordsworth Tavern) re-opened, it's being managed by an Ex Colley school lad, he's off the Cross, Mark Snowden & his wife Pam.

Great Advert - Monday 7 January 2013:

A LANDLADY has vowed not to be driven out of her Sheffield pub after a mass brawl broke out inside.

Police are now investigating after up to 50 people were involved in the fight at the Wordsworth Tavern, Wordsworth Avenue, Parson Cross.

Landlady Pam Smith, aged 47, who only took over at the pub three weeks earlier, said an 18-year-old started the trouble by forcing open the lounge door, which was locked, after he was told he was not allowed inside.

Mrs Smith said some of his friends joined him and violence erupted inside with chairs and tables thrown at customers and fights breaking out all over the pub.

The landlady said she was knocked to the floor three times during the disturbance and the men’s toilet was like a ‘blood bath’ after the fight ended.

Mrs Smith, who has worked in pubs since she was 18, said she had never seen such a large-scale fight in a bar before.

She suspects it could be linked to her barring some men who were trying to deal drugs in her pub.

One man was arrested at the scene, but the incident, which happened at about 12.20am on New Year’s Day, was captured on CCTV cameras – and police officers are now examining the footage to identify all those involved.

Mrs Smith said; “I took over on December 7 and in the run up to Christmas I barred a few drug dealers, so I don’t know if this trouble is the repercussions of that.

“When I took over at the pub I knew it was going to be challenging, but I will not tolerate drug dealing on my premises and I am determined to turn the place around and put it at the heart of the community.”

Mrs Smith said the disturbance was frightening, but she will not let it drive her out.

“There was fighting everywhere,” she said. “There were people throwing chairs and stools, tables were knocked over, I got knocked down three times and then it spilled outside. It was frightening but I want it known that it won’t drive me out.

“I spent New Year’s Day cleaning up the place – the men’s toilets was like a blood bath. The only thing left standing at the end of the night was the Christmas tree, everything else was knocked over, but we are up and running as normal again now and hope that will be the last of the trouble, because I am here to stay and I want it known drug dealers will never be welcome.”

Mrs Smith has spoken to South Yorkshire Police about the incident and agreed to serve drinks in plastic glasses as a safety measure.

Coun Gill Furniss, Sheffield Council Labour member for Southey ward, said: “It’s such a shame about the fight as the pub had only just reopened.

“I will be speaking to police officers to find out what happened and what is being done to ensure it doesn’t happen again.”

A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: “Police are investigating reports that up to 50 people were seen fighting at a public house in Parson Cross on New Year’s Day.

“Police attended the scene at 12.20am and one person has been detained.

“Further inquiries are ongoing.”

Great Advert - Monday 7 January 2013:

A LANDLADY has vowed not to be driven out of her Sheffield pub after a mass brawl broke out inside.

Police are now investigating after up to 50 people were involved in the fight at the Wordsworth Tavern, Wordsworth Avenue, Parson Cross.

Landlady Pam Smith, aged 47, who only took over at the pub three weeks earlier, said an 18-year-old started the trouble by forcing open the lounge door, which was locked, after he was told he was not allowed inside.

Mrs Smith said some of his friends joined him and violence erupted inside with chairs and tables thrown at customers and fights breaking out all over the pub.

The landlady said she was knocked to the floor three times during the disturbance and the men’s toilet was like a ‘blood bath’ after the fight ended.

Mrs Smith, who has worked in pubs since she was 18, said she had never seen such a large-scale fight in a bar before.

She suspects it could be linked to her barring some men who were trying to deal drugs in her pub.

One man was arrested at the scene, but the incident, which happened at about 12.20am on New Year’s Day, was captured on CCTV cameras – and police officers are now examining the footage to identify all those involved.

Mrs Smith said; “I took over on December 7 and in the run up to Christmas I barred a few drug dealers, so I don’t know if this trouble is the repercussions of that.

“When I took over at the pub I knew it was going to be challenging, but I will not tolerate drug dealing on my premises and I am determined to turn the place around and put it at the heart of the community.”

Mrs Smith said the disturbance was frightening, but she will not let it drive her out.

“There was fighting everywhere,” she said. “There were people throwing chairs and stools, tables were knocked over, I got knocked down three times and then it spilled outside. It was frightening but I want it known that it won’t drive me out.

“I spent New Year’s Day cleaning up the place – the men’s toilets was like a blood bath. The only thing left standing at the end of the night was the Christmas tree, everything else was knocked over, but we are up and running as normal again now and hope that will be the last of the trouble, because I am here to stay and I want it known drug dealers will never be welcome.”

Mrs Smith has spoken to South Yorkshire Police about the incident and agreed to serve drinks in plastic glasses as a safety measure.

Coun Gill Furniss, Sheffield Council Labour member for Southey ward, said: “It’s such a shame about the fight as the pub had only just reopened.

“I will be speaking to police officers to find out what happened and what is being done to ensure it doesn’t happen again.”

A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: “Police are investigating reports that up to 50 people were seen fighting at a public house in Parson Cross on New Year’s Day.

“Police attended the scene at 12.20am and one person has been detained.

“Further inquiries are ongoing.”

good on you for not letting these thugs drive you out of the tavern-you have proved you are no pushover and lets hope that this trouble has not scared the local genuine punters away from the tavern-we dont need anymore pubs closing down-pubs these days need the heart of the community to keep the local pub open

if you message bushbaby i reacon he will know as he is brilliant on here on the p x forum

Sadly not this time. I don't know any of these.

But I do remember Elaine Brown on Deerlands Close:love:

went to school with Meryl , not seen her since '63 when I left Ecco Grammar .

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 20:13 ----------

Don't remember John Bennett or Anne Grayson , but remember Stephen (Stinker ) Reading , live at 28 Turie crescent , heather Barrie sounds familiar My wife would know her from Colley School I think

if its the same john bennett im thinking of then im afraid he died several years ago from cancer, he wouldve been around his mid 60s

The ASDA is now very much the epicentre of The Cross, with the new library just across the road (on top of Nellie Webster's Nan's house!)

The SOAR Works building behind Margo shops is very interesting. they have a team of people trying very hard to engage the residents and turn the area into a positive place! It also houses a number of Art Studios. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Living on Buchanan Rd is like being in the countryside.

I guess things have to change Richard.

Old Mr and Mrs Bloomer.....they exchanged with Nellie and Dennis Webster.

Good for you pam we had the parson cross for 16 years no way were druggies allowed in they tried but no chance we had a good set of lads who looked after there local they liked to bring there wifes and girlfriends in and have a good time which they did and so did we chris would turn in his grave if saw the cross now keep it up pam dont let the scum bags get you down good luck

Sadly not this time. I don't know any of these.

But I do remember Elaine Brown on Deerlands Close:love:

that name rings a bell.Did she have a younger brother called Norman?

CLICK THE RITZ CINEMA

CLICK THE RITZ CINEMA

Has The Ritz Cinema (Parson Cross) been demolished yet ?

(Built on a site previously occupied by farm buildings known as Toad Hole. Cinema opened 6th December 1937- Cinema closed 9th November 1966)

Has anyone got any photos ?