Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

Could it be eight feet wide?

It isn't though. I measured it.

I'm just intrigued coz "Gennell" was a general name for these walkways, but we had "The Eightfoot" and it was a universally used name. Even Mrs Eaton off Fulmere Cres called it The Eightfoot, and she didn't like nicknames.

Perhaps Barry Pollard knows....

I noticed in this week,s retro a letter from Barrie Pollard from Australia late of Wordsworth Avenue saying hallo to his friends. Would this be a relative of Raymond?

Gotta be hasn't it?

Lois Pollard. MMmmmmm!

I lived on the steelhouses - but does anybody remember a lad getting knocked down on Holgate Ave in the early 60s. I seem to remember he was on a bicycle or a scooter and coming down the hill on to the ave he ran under a truck????

I can only have been very young and would like to try and find out if I'm recalling correctly.

I'm just intrigued coz "Gennell" was a general name for these walkways, but we had "The Eightfoot" and it was a universally used name. Even Mrs Eaton off Fulmere Cres called it The Eightfoot, and she didn't like nicknames.

Could it be that Kenny Goodison only took eight paces from Fulmere cres to Wordsworth Ave (wiv dem long legs it couldnt av bin much more) just a thought

the gennel off chaucer to knutton to the beagle was never known as the eightfoot,,it was the gennel from fulmere cres to wordsworth is the eightfoot,,my aunt lives directly across from it and she has lived there from the 60's,,there is a woman next to the eightfoot called "blanket on the ground" she was named that by everybody there as she sang the song all the time,,i will find out her name but im sure "the blanket" still lives there:)

we have the word gennel here but why in corrie do they call it the ginnle??? any ideas guys cos i dont have a clue

we have the word gennel here but why in corrie do they call it the ginnle??? any ideas guys cos i dont have a clue

In Chesterfield, they call it a 'jitty' - its just local dialect stuff

the gennel off chaucer to knutton to the beagle was never known as the eightfoot,,

Sorry to disagree, but having lived on Knutton Cres for over twenty years it was always known as the eight foot.

Everyone knew where to go if the arrangements were "meet you at the bottom of the eightfoot".

the gennel off chaucer to knutton to the beagle was never known as the eightfoot,,it was the gennel from fulmere cres to wordsworth is the eightfoot,,my aunt lives directly across from it and she has lived there from the 60's,,there is a woman next to the eightfoot called "blanket on the ground" she was named that by everybody there as she sang the song all the time,,i will find out her name but im sure "the blanket" still lives there:)

dungraftin is right,always known as eightfoot.The lady's name,Mrs Brown,she was a dinner lady at Mansel school,1960's.

Hi from Oz, does anyone remember Joe Dams who lived on Halifax Road in the 50`s first house to the left from Deersland had three brothers, went to foxhill then Meynell, left in 55. Also, Eric Clews, Tom and David Fox, Roland Nailor all of Deersland Mount.

I used to lived at 87 Mansel Cres,93,was alway know as (THE NURSE'S HOUSE),I used to play football by the school,useing your nan's driveway as one goal and the school gates as the other.Your nan never complained,but Mr Cattermole was alway telling us (Melvin&Hayden Ellis,Roy Mann & my brothers to move away.My mum also work as a dinner lady with Mrs Ellis&Mrs Cattermole.

Hi I live at number 85 Mansel Crescent next door to Brian cobb are u any relation.

But the distance between train lines is called the fourfoot, but it actually measures four feet, eight and a half inches.

By the way, what did it actually measure when you did it.