Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

I lived on Holgate Crescent from around 1946 to 1962 when I got married. I used to go to Colley Secondary School till 1955.

I knew Brian and Ena well from Beagle in late 70`s early 80s .The original ladies hairdresses was owned by mother of a lad I was at school with cant rememeber her first name but surname was Anderson

I think her name was Sylvia or Sybil but not 100% sure

Sylvia was the lady at Plummers.

I once wagged school and hid in Fogg's cubby hole, the one half way down the alley where he kept the returns. All I had to keep me going was 5 Park Drive tipped and a bottle of mandacola. Mind you, I slept well

Sybil was about right I think

I remember "Penti's" on Deerlands Mount. Used to cut hair in his kitchen in the early 60's. Don't recall Ena though..

ena and brian hatfield owned the hairdressers on chaucer called fashion le flair. they originally lived on fulmere road before they moved above the shop. they had a son called wayne who is same age as me and they still live above the shop now but i think its called sun seekers now,,unfortunatly brian passed away a few years now but before they moved over the shop they was renting out the flat , there was a bloke called pete who lived in the flat,,my older brother knocked about with him, he was known as " plonker pete " a jack of all trades,,odd job man who would do owt for half ounce of bacca but was useless at everything he did :hihi:

Edited by Richard PX5
forgot to put a word in

Sad news about Brian I didnt know, The Beagle in the late 70`s early 80s was a great place where young uns like me at the time mixed and chatted with with the older ones, partially cos our parents used the same pub, we`d get in early and then give up the seats as the old ones came in later a great atmosphere with very little trouble . Brian was a few years older than us but we alwaysgot along and he was always one to see people enjoying themselves .Sad news indeed .

I lived on Holgate Crescent from around 1946 to 1962 when I got married. I used to go to Colley Secondary School till 1955.

Is Glenys your sister in law? I think you and Christine Curtis once got me drunk in the Railway pub in the 90`s..........started in the Tavern,then went down the Bridge.......Thats if you are who i think you are.

Sad news about Brian I didnt know, The Beagle in the late 70`s early 80s was a great place where young uns like me at the time mixed and chatted with with the older ones, partially cos our parents used the same pub, we`d get in early and then give up the seats as the old ones came in later a great atmosphere with very little trouble . Brian was a few years older than us but we alwaysgot along and he was always one to see people enjoying themselves .Sad news indeed .

yes its very sad news about brian. i speak to wayne on facebook but did not ask about how brian died as did not to want to cause any upset. i knew ena very well but did not really know brian. do you remember sylvia and tony mould. they was in the beagle all the time back in the 70's 80's and 90's. they lived on fulmere crescent. they was always in the best side not the games room. after bernard left im sure it was jack (jonh) who took over the beagle. i always remember that the beer in the best side was more expensive than the games room by about a couple of pennies. i always remember my dad went into the best side for a pint as games room bar was busy and got charged the full price. dad had an arguement with jack about it as a regular customer there (7 nights a week) jack would not give him the price of the beer from the games room but jack was a stubborn bugger but i always got on with him. i always remember christine moore and josie behind the bar. jack's famous saying at closing was " get your beer off and f**k off. brilliant times in the beagle :hihi:

jack's famous saying at closing was " get your beer off and f**k off. brilliant times in the beagle :hihi:

Great to know that The Beagle carried on the tradition after I'd taken the King's Shilling. In the early seventies it was quite simply the best place to be and we had some wonderful times in there.

When I went back last year, to Smicker's 50th, the atmosphere was still the same. I spent the evening with the Eyre twins, Sue Martin (Bungi's wife) and a few others, and supped about a gallon and half.

Glorious!!

:headbang:

Great to know that The Beagle carried on the tradition after I'd taken the King's Shilling. In the early seventies it was quite simply the best place to be and we had some wonderful times in there.

When I went back last year, to Smicker's 50th, the atmosphere was still the same. I spent the evening with the Eyre twins, Sue Martin (Bungi's wife) and a few others, and supped about a gallon and half.

Glorious!!

:

headbang:[/QUOT

Looks like i missed a great night in the beagle-as i was born in 72 then i would not know many people there but to listen to some of the stories about parson cross would have been great

Glorious!!

I agree, a great night Steve but a pity Bungi and a few others didn't come, it would have been great to meet up with them all again after all these years!

I agree, a great night Steve but a pity Bungi and a few others didn't come, it would have been great to meet up with them all again after all these years!

Meeting you again was the highlight Kath

:love: