Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

So it seems that the prefab was put up in '52/53, then the main building was erected about 56? Is that about right?

I think so, I went to Yew Lane about 1954 because I left in 1958 and aren't you there 4 yrs? My elder sister attended Yew Lane before me, so 1952 should be about right, I've forgot what do we want to know this for anyway? :)

I remember one evening in The Beagle when there had been a break-in the previous night, sometime around 1971/72 I guess.

Joe Williams was wiping glasses, explaining what had happened to a couple of ladies who were stood at the bar. He mentioned how the burglar had got in though a toilet window, and that one of the one-armed bandits had had its cash reservoir removed. Half way through his story, Alf Beer, who was sat a few tables away, interrupted him and said that the M.O sounded suspiciously like that of his own son, Wally.

Five minutes later Joe was on the phone to Hammerton Rd, and a few hours later Wally was picked up in Colley Club, arrested and charged

Thanks Dad!!!

I remember Wally getting done for that didnt know his dad had shopped him.

I was once talking to Wally in the bookies on Margetson a few years later His dad walked in and set about Wally, apparently the five pence pieces he had been betting with had come out of their gas meter.

His dad walked in and set about Wally...

Mind you his dad, Alf, was just as bad, as the one-armed bandits at Colley WMC can testify. Something about apples not falling very far from trees...

I remember one evening in The Beagle when there had been a break-in the previous night, sometime around 1971/72 I guess.

Joe Williams was wiping glasses, explaining what had happened to a couple of ladies who were stood at the bar. He mentioned how the burglar had got in though a toilet window, and that one of the one-armed bandits had had its cash reservoir removed. Half way through his story, Alf Beer, who was sat a few tables away, interrupted him and said that the M.O sounded suspiciously like that of his own son, Wally.

Five minutes later Joe was on the phone to Hammerton Rd, and a few hours later Wally was picked up in Colley Club, arrested and charged

Thanks Dad!!!

There's a couple of names I'd forgotten - whatever happened to them!

There's a couple of names I'd forgotten - whatever happened to them!

I think Wally's sister married Pete Ashmore. They were running "The Gate" (Wadsley Bridge) at one point - maybe 15 years ago

I think Wally's sister married Pete Ashmore. They were running "The Gate" (Wadsley Bridge) at one point - maybe 15 years ago

Not seen Pete Ashmore in years either. Is the Gate still open?

Is the Gate still open?

I wouldn't have thought so. It sometimes felt like it was shut even when it was open!!

It was always lively during pea-season though :)

Hi Kath hope your well.The Gate and Travellers are to be demolished very soon. A Sainsburys is to be built on site. Penny.xx

Hi Kath hope your well.The Gate and Travellers are to be demolished very soon. A Sainsburys is to be built on site. Penny.xx

Bugger!!!!

:(

Bugger!!!!

Heres another bugger Steve just been told by Pete Atkin that Ray Beer died

on Monday

Heres another bugger Steve just been told by Pete Atkin that Ray Beer died

on Monday

Ouch!! RIP Wally

sorry to hear about wally ,wondered why i hadnt see him about

for a few weeks.