Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

hi I lived with my Grand parents about 1957...58 , my grand mother was Mrs Alice blearse at no 160 doe royd cresent , and was well know knitting dress making and wallpaper hanging. Grandad was blind . but found is way round the lump, allways wore a rain coat white stick eye shade, they had lived there be fore the war.

they must have know my grandparents Foster - lived 140 Doe Royd Crescent. they also lived there from about 1937 - they moved to 117 Doe Royd Crescent in about 1960

they must have know my grandparents Foster - lived 140 Doe Royd Crescent. they also lived there from about 1937 - they moved to 117 Doe Royd Crescent in about 1960

Doe Royd Lane is the oldest street on The Cross, and in fact predates The Cross by a number of years

Doe Royd Lane is the oldest street on The Cross, and in fact predates The Cross by a number of years

so basicly as the oldest street was it one of the first to have houses built on it,,:confused:

so basicly as the oldest street was it one of the first to have houses built on it,,:confused:

I guess it must have been. Maps from the early 1900s show it simply as a thoroughfare from Wadsley Bridge through to who knows where.

I think the first houses to be built were where the Ritz is now towards Wadsley Bridge (Southey Green Rd). But I could check this out.

Whats up everyone gone away or what. Can anyone tell me what the Toy Shop on Margetson was called. Can remember buying a Boomerang from there in 1965. I used to play with it on waste land were Colley Club is now. There was no Church on the other side either. Would the shop have been where the betting shop is now. Thanks Penny.

Was it called Baileys or Caddishes? The church was opened in 1969, not sure what year Colley WMC opened - 66/67?

Whats up everyone gone away or what. Can anyone tell me what the Toy Shop on Margetson was called..

Baileys.

Famous for little plastic rockets that had a cap fitted in the nose, and boomerangs that didn't come back.

Baileys.

Famous for little plastic rockets that had a cap fitted in the nose, and boomerangs that didn't come back.

that was smiths hardware not baileys they was the fruit and veg shop and sold jublies and sweets like cola cubes and other sweets and it smelt of boiling beetroot which they sold still warm.

that was smiths hardware not baileys they was the fruit and veg shop and sold jublies and sweets like cola cubes and other sweets and it smelt of boiling beetroot which they sold still warm.

Yep, you're absolutely right Tony.