Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

Pete Howe is alive + well,saw him at the bus stop on Wordsworth Ave nr Herries Rd on Sunday 12th.

Thanks for that, I will keep a lookout for him. I hope he is well.

cycle speedway is alive and kicking

I was born on Wordsworth Avenue in 1950, I had lots of great freinds from around the area and from my two schools,St Thomas Mores and St Peters.I could write a book about the times we all shared as kids and teenagers at Colley youth club and Mansell youth club. I have lived in different parts of the country since then but now live in Ecclesfield approx 1 mile from my birthplace. I was filling my car at the petrol next to our house last week.Whilst i was filling up something flew past my head and hit the car wash window. I looked around and saw about ten youths, [scumbags] across the road at thhe top end of the bungalows. As i was looking they threw another stone and hit a mans car on the air pump. He shouted across at them, they ran across the road towards him, he dropped the airline jumped in his car and sped off, with these scumbags throwing stones at his car.I actually left me car half filled, got in the car and locked the doors until they were out of site. I am ashamed to say that I was scared stiff. I went in to pay, the girl on duty had phoned for the Police but said they never show up.

What a horrible shame, 30 years ago my brother and his mates would have given them a pasting. Sadly, it appears they have no fear of reprisal from the Police, Parents or anyone else. I loved where I grew up and find it so sad the way it has changed. Even Mick Smith must be glad to get away.

Cycle speedway is alive and kicking.

is roger tordoff still alive and kicking, i heard he retired from teaching when clowne college was taken over by chesterfield.
roger is very much alive he still lives on greaves road in ecclesfield

I was born on Wordsworth Avenue in 1950, I had lots of great freinds from around the area and from my two schools,St Thomas Mores and St Peters.I could write a book about the times we all shared as kids and teenagers at Colley youth club and Mansell youth club. I have lived in different parts of the country since then but now live in Ecclesfield approx 1 mile from my birthplace. I was filling my car at the petrol next to our house last week.Whilst i was filling up something flew past my head and hit the car wash window. I looked around and saw about ten youths, [scumbags] across the road at thhe top end of the bungalows. As i was looking they threw another stone and hit a mans car on the air pump. He shouted across at them, they ran across the road towards him, he dropped the airline jumped in his car and sped off, with these scumbags throwing stones at his car.I actually left me car half filled, got in the car and locked the doors until they were out of site. I am ashamed to say that I was scared stiff. I went in to pay, the girl on duty had phoned for the Police but said they never show up.

What a horrible shame, 30 years ago my brother and his mates would have given them a pasting. Sadly, it appears they have no fear of reprisal from the Police, Parents or anyone else. I loved where I grew up and find it so sad the way it has changed. Even Mick Smith must be glad to get away.

Cycle speedway is alive and kicking.

i dont blame you,,nowadays you cant do nothing,even the police hands are tied,, my mum and dad lived on mansel in the flat roof malthouses but when next door came empty kids was smashing windows and basicly causing havoc,my dad phoned police so many times but they never came out,,oh they did the next bloody day to appoligise,, what is the point in that and we all wonder why parson cross estate is a dump now,,its because kids have been allowed to vandalise the estate,,e-g,, the gutted out houses on deerlands,, im now 37 and as anyone can say on here we was not all perfect kids in parson cross,,knocking and running and maybe hedge hopping but not sheer vandalism like now,, we respected the estate we lived on so why now do kids think they can wreck it,, eventually my parents got out of the war zone and got a great house in ecclesfield village,,but its sad that parson cross is getting unrecognisable especially since nearly every malthouse on mansel is now demolished,including my old house which i was born in :(

roger is very much alive he still lives on greaves road in ecclesfield

eyup MH01, you just got there before me. also roger is involved with ECCLEFIELD CONSERVATION GROUP who hold monthly meetings in the stocks pub. they do a lot of good work around the village keeping it clean, tidy and presentable.

I lived on Masters Rd 1947-52, it was a great place to live, we youngsters used to meet in the Circle, we played games, chatted to the girls, went to the Youth Club, very fond memories. Now I read things that I don't understand, what went wrong?

I lived on Masters Rd 1947-52, it was a great place to live, we youngsters used to meet in the Circle, we played games, chatted to the girls, went to the Youth Club, very fond memories. Now I read things that I don't understand, what went wrong?

i would not know where to start

I was born on Deerlands Mount in 64 the only boy in the family and also the youngest. I have 4 sisters. Iris, Barbara, Joan and Lindy. We moved to Heeley when i was quite young but i still have some memories and my sister Joan returned to live there for a while about 20 years ago. I haven't been through there for about three years now but it was already being demolished then and looked quite sad. I now live near Brighton but love this forum as it is the only way i can keep up with what is happening.

Anybody remember a guy who used to walk the estate staring at a pen (60s and 70s) always had a long black raincoat on even in the summer and another bloke who used to wear a big flat cap (mad Al?)who would talk to us kids but was obviously not a full shilling .Got a feeling they both lived somewhere near the Parson Cross Hotel but you would see them all over the estate .

And the disabled Wednesdayite who used to have that strange cycle/wheelchair ,lived near the ritz i think ,what happened to these characters ?

Anybody remember a guy who used to walk the estate staring at a pen (60s and 70s) always had a long black raincoat on even in the summer and another bloke who used to wear a big flat cap (mad Al?)who would talk to us kids but was obviously not a full shilling .Got a feeling they both lived somewhere near the Parson Cross Hotel but you would see them all over the estate .

And the disabled Wednesdayite who used to have that strange cycle/wheelchair ,lived near the ritz i think ,what happened to these characters ?

I remember the character in the wheelchair you mention. His name was Edwin I believe and used to see him outside the Ritz on Saturday afternoons when we went to the matinees. Dont know much more or what happened to him though

yep the bloke in the wheelchair/bike was called Eddie and us Wednesdayites

as kids pushed him all the way up Halifax Road . Cant remember the other two but I do remember one we called Sam the tramp (it was those rowdy kids from Knutton cres named him that) who used to tidy up peoples gardens for cash he would have some right competition now.Does anyone remember the cardboard slides and "Tarzan swing" down "Littlewoods"?

yep the bloke in the wheelchair/bike was called Eddie and us Wednesdayites

as kids pushed him all the way up Halifax Road . Cant remember the other two but I do remember one we called Sam the tramp (it was those rowdy kids from Knutton cres named him that) who used to tidy up peoples gardens for cash he would have some right competition now.Does anyone remember the cardboard slides and "Tarzan swing" down "Littlewoods"?

i remember sam the tramp well,he was called eddie bedstead,, he used to go in the papershop on chaucer and ask my mum for stale bread,, he seemed happy enough,, i remember when one of the mallinders off fulmere was robbing his veg out of his garden,, sam gave him a right pasting for it,,when he dropped dead on buchannon shops and the council was clearing out the house, speculation was there was loades of sams money behind the bath panel,, but i guess no-one really knew if that was true