Did you ever live in Parson Cross? (Part 2)

Cocked this one up - see next one.

Edited by Bonj

I lived on Milnrow Road (6) from 1958 to 1977 and have only fond memories of the area. The cycle speedway track was behind our house - we used to play footy in the centre of it.

My blind granddad used to come up from St Dunstans in Brighton and stay for a couple of weeks each summer and I had to take him on to the Tavern every dinner time and get his dinner ready for when he came back. Someone always brought him back but I never knew who.

I haven't been back since my Mum and Dad moved to Walkley about 15 years ago so its interesting to read these posts and find out what's happening. Bushbaby especially - I think we kicked a ball around on the odd occasion.

Did anyone play “Bullroar” like we did? (I think it probably had dfferent names in different eras)

It was usually played in the build up to Bonfire Night, especially on those evenings devoted to mischief.

Basically, one had to tightly pack the bottom opening of the largest drainpipe of a house, with newspaper, and set fire to it. As the heated air drafted up the pipe, it caused a howling sound (hence “Bullroar”) which resonated through the building and brought neighbours out to investigate.

The long autumn evenings would just fly by….

Did anyone play “Bullroar” like we did? (I think it probably had dfferent names in different eras)

It was usually played in the build up to Bonfire Night, especially on those evenings devoted to mischief.

Basically, one had to tightly pack the bottom opening of the largest drainpipe of a house, with newspaper, and set fire to it. As the heated air drafted up the pipe, it caused a howling sound (hence “Bullroar”) which resonated through the building and brought neighbours out to investigate.

The long autumn evenings would just fly by….

never tried tht one but sounded excellent :hihi:

we used to tie fishing line on door knockers when it was dark, hide behind privvet and pull it,, it was so funny when people came to door and no-one there, also the old one,,put dog s**t in newspaper, set it alight on doorsteps and knock, 9/10 times people would stamp it out,,yuk,,so bad, oh so harmless fun when we was kids

Boni I grow up on Milnrow Rd but I lived in that middle section opposite a corn field that they later built flats on, I lived there 1946 - 1965

are they knocking the shops down on chaucer road? does anyone know?

we used to tie fishing line on door knockers when it was dark, hide behind privvet and pull it,, it was so funny when people came to door and no-one there, also the old one,,put dog s**t in newspaper, set it alight on doorsteps and knock, 9/10 times people would stamp it out,,yuk,,so bad, oh so harmless fun when we was kids

:nono: you bad lad :hihi:

Hi Joto,

I remember the flats being built, and I used to play in that cornfield - cut my knee pretty badly on some glass there and had to have nine stitches in it.

I see you're in Canada these days, the girl (my niece) on the front cover of my book lives in Calgary, took the picture when she came back for a wedding out in Hathersage.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gullstory.weebly.com

:nono: you bad lad :hihi:

not all bad just finding stuff to amuse us as lads:hihi:

are they knocking the shops down on chaucer road? does anyone know?

we lived 2 doors away from shops and as far as i know they ar not demolishing them,, as buchannon shops are coming down the golden palace is buying out lung fung on chaucer

I haven't been back since my Mum and Dad moved to Walkley about 15 years ago so its interesting to read these posts and find out what's happening. Bushbaby especially - I think we kicked a ball around on the odd occasion.

Yeah, I'm quite sure I know you. Your nickname, "Bonj" is a kind of spoonerism I think, and like me, you went to grammar (albeit a different one). Great to hear from you - I'm sure you've got a few good stories hidden away....

If you look back, you'll find my memories of our mutual friend Ian Whittaker somewhere - and I think you knew him quite a bit better than I did.