Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi Lakerman

have been talking to my father in law about this mystery name he lived on botham st 40s to 60s he says no one he knows,knows the true origins of the name but the old landlord Herbert Hemsman who had the pub through the war to late 50s 60s ? used to say when the pub was being built someone asked the builders the name, and he shouted down "who can tell" .apparently it stuck.could be an old folk legend who can tell ha ha. My father in laws name is Hanwell if anybody knows him.:help::huh::loopy:

This is the best that anyone has come up with so far!!!!

Hi all, I've found an interesting book, about the Hillside. It's called Colvers Yard, and the names of some of the people who lived there,when it was I don't know. Starting at the back of Cottams SablesIs No. 1 Inches, 2 Ingles, 3 Cope (he Drew the map) 4 Harold (Don't know if its surname or Christian name) 5 Rhodes, 6 James, 7 Seamans( underneath no. 7 is wrote Miss Harrison's Cycle shop. and the beer-off is called Bower'sshop. The book is called It Were Loverly, and is about Mrs. Florence Harrold (Auntie Foll), she died in 1991 I think. Can any of you remember her.
Hi Gemini, remember Mrs Herrold she had two daughters, Molly & Dinna, Dinna married Norman Eggitt off Skelwith Rd.

Hi Minniej,

I think I have drawn a blank with this. I have traced the history of the building back to the 1880's, when it was probably first built. It was a shop and beerhouse for many years ,but no mention of any name until 1937 when it states in the kelly's directory of Sheffield that the resident of 33 Botham Street was Herbert Hensman and the premises as a public house by the name of "who can tell".

Thanks anyway for your reply.

Herbert Hensmans wife was called Ginny and she use to put on Black Pudding and Pie and Pea nights in the best room, I suppose to entice the ladies out who might have a glass a two or a stout along with that. My dad played in the games league for them, where they played Crib, Darts and Dominoes at home and away in other Boozers. Thanks -lakerman - for researching, i'm surprised the building goes back as far as it does, I knew it was a pub prior to WW2 though, which certainly fits in with my knowledge of the 'Ooker'.

Hi everyone, I am not a regular contibutor to this thread but I asked a question a while ago and I still have not found the answer. Can anyone please help?

I would like to know how the public House called "Who Can Tell" got it's name.

It was situated at 33 Botham Street and it closed in 1974.

I have just phoned my Auntie, who is nearly 90 years old and has a better memory than me. She told me that even when she first started going in the pub in the early 40's even then no-one knew how it got it's name.

A couple of other things she talked about was, the Petre St Huts, and how one of them was so big they used to hold a dance in it once a month.

Another was how she knew a family on Chambers Lane, and both the sons were away fighting in the war, one in Italy and the other in Burma. The sons came home on leave together and they found out that their mother had sold their bed as she didnt expect them to come back. They made their mother sleep on the sofa for the rest of their leave.

Why does the minority want to spoil it for the majority? I don't always know what or who all the chit chat is about but I enjoy reading it or I ask the rest of my family who's who. It's not rocket science if you're not interested don't click on n keep your critisisms to yourself!!!![/quote :thumbsup::thumbsup:well said....

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query regarding the "Who Can Tell".

I will keep trying and if I do find anything out, I will leave a note on here.

Hi Gemini, remember Mrs Herrold she had two daughters, Molly & Dinna, Dinna married Norman Eggitt off Skelwith Rd.

Hi ya, Gemini. Was speaking to Molly, not so long ago. She's married and lives in Brinsworth, hasnt changed at all, recognised her straight away. Fothers

Hi ya, Gemini. Was speaking to Molly, not so long ago. She's married and lives in Brinsworth, hasnt changed at all, recognised her straight away. Fothers
Hi Fothers, would you be Dennis by any chance?

hi dors did you ever know of a clee street or some thing like that off alfred road??? susan (sheilas sis)x

Hi Susan. Just for the record, it was called Clay Street. Mindless bit of useless information, dont you think?

Hi all, was talking in the Railway last night, and from what was said it seems that the it won't be long before the Sheffield Arms shuts down, that will be another local institution gone.

Hi all, was talking in the Railway last night, and from what was said it seems that the it won't be long before the Sheffield Arms shuts down, that will be another local institution gone.

morning george,that's sad news like you said another institution gone.one of my locals just been sold to auction The Hallcar sold for £52,000 unbelieveable .Sheila