Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Thanks for that cat. I remember her now. Thank goodness someone remembers the council yard, I thought I was imaging it, I do remember Trevor Green taking me to se a dead cat, full of magots, in there. Yes Jean I remember Josephine Harris, she was of school for quite a while, and she used to have funny turns!, because of the head injuries she had. Another name that springs to mind is Pat Byne. Gwen's dad taught my dad to drive and we were great friends for quite a while then we lost touch, I think her mum died. I did see the photo, I got moved up a class in the 3rd year for some reason.

who remembers the pattern shop on carlisle street going up in flames? what year was it? a night to remember! I know it was a Sunday!

hiya Hazel finally got to the bottom of the mystery of the firebug.cannot divulge on here though some of our fellow grimey wallers know.it was straight from the horses mouth at the reunion.i may whisper in your lughole at the next reunion.:hihi:

hi terry that is definitely the corner shop on petre st and botham st but im convinced that linda was right about the one on hunsley/grimesthorpe corner susan x

hiya sis,confused which shop you think it is that the old couple are stood outside.i think its top of hunsley st you know the one you used to steal sweets from.:nono::nono:

hiya sis,confused which shop you think it is that the old couple are stood outside.i think its top of hunsley st you know the one you used to steal sweets from.:nono::nono:

it sure is sis, :blush: straight opposite dads pigeon cote and for the other grimey wallers who dunt no where that is its just above grimesthorpe road methodist church:thumbsup:ps put u a message on attercliffe libs club page lol

Edited by susan 827
missed off ending

I wonder if you Grimethorpians(?) might be interested in these extracts from the log books of Grimesthorpe School.

Oct 1876 I have had complaints from several people of the nasty filthy words which our children wrote on the walls

Apr 1877 Annoyed by one of the parents today, a woman called Weston. Her language was the opposite of polite.

May 1877 On consulting the record of punishments I find the same boys figure over and over again.

Jan 1878 I had two parents this week complaining about teachers. I found their complaints were without foundation.

Jun 1878 Temperature 90 degrees in school today.

Jun 1879 The boys mother began abusing me so I left her the walls and door for an audience

Dec 1879 A very great snowstorm, the ice is more attractive than school.

Jun 1880 Mr Giddings away. He has the face ache.

Mar 1886 Attendance low through sickness, mostly caused by hunger.

Apr 1889 3 absentees, two are ill and one is dead.

And finally, can you imagine it.

Feb 1964 Police visited the school today in an attempt to find the owner of a book found by the school buildings.

I have only quoted a few brief extracts from the books which cover 1875 to 1893 and 1949 to 1969.

If anyone would like a fuller copy of the extracts I made I am willing to send it. There are quite a few names of pupils and teachers.

I wonder if you Grimethorpians(?) might be interested in these extracts from the log books of Grimesthorpe School.

Oct 1876 I have had complaints from several people of the nasty filthy words which our children wrote on the walls

Apr 1877 Annoyed by one of the parents today, a woman called Weston. Her language was the opposite of polite.

May 1877 On consulting the record of punishments I find the same boys figure over and over again.

Jan 1878 I had two parents this week complaining about teachers. I found their complaints were without foundation.

Jun 1879 The boys mother began abusing me so I left her the walls and door for an audience

Feb 1964 Police visited the school today in an attempt to find the owner of a book found by the school buildings.

I have only quoted a few brief extracts from the books which cover 1875 to 1893 and 1949 to 1969.

If anyone would like a fuller copy of the extracts I made I am willing to send it. There are quite a few names of pupils and teachers.

What interesting reading. I like the one Jun 1879. What a sad reflection of the times when children are off school because of hunger Mar.1886. I would love to see the reports from 1952 to 1956 when I was there. Maybe I would know some of the names. Keep us posted. :thumbsup: I'd love to know what the book was that was found in Feb 1964.

Edited by DOMMI
after thought

Perhaps it was one of yours Dommi! There are several references to illnesses such as smallpox, scarlet fever, typhus, measles. One thing that stands out is how often the school was closed for public occasions like visits from foreign royalty, Churchill's funeral and several local events like Grimesthorpe Feast and the Flower Show.

I will reply to your pm shortly.

I would love to have a fuller copy of it. It sounds fascinating. I will send you a PM.

Dors.

Edited by Dors
Deletion

Just to add to my post re the Grimesthorpe log books. If anyone would like a copy please send me your email address and I will send one to you asap.

Just to add to my post re the Grimesthorpe log books. If anyone would like a copy please send me your email address and I will send one to you asap.

hi mini

i would also like to buy your book

Well as you can all guess, I just had to pm minimo regarding the Grimesthorpe School log.

I have just been reading the document she emailed me and thought I would share this little bit with you all

Jul 1963 Retirement of Deputy Head Miss Anne Hanson after forty

years of service in Grimesthorpe School. She was

presented with gifts, including a nest of coffee

tables and a stainless steel tea service.

Miss Hanson has been mentioned quite a few times in Part 1 of our thread so I thought this would be interesting to everyone.

thank you minimo for a very interesting read. :thumbsup:

Weer Did All t’Watter Come From.

Anyone who lived in or near Grimesthorpe knows t’Dyke. We paddled in it, threw bricks into it and most of us lads stood on the wall and peed in it. It gave us endless hours of fun and pleasure, be it a mere trickle or a raging torrent after a downpour.

For anyone reading this and is unfamiliar with Grimesthorpe, The Dyke is a brook that surfaces and runs for a few hundred yards through the vale of Grimesthorpe before disappearing again.

A dyke is usually: a drain, a diversion or a flood control so our dyke, although not unique is unusual in not being called a brook. A search of Google for Sheffield dykes gives a few more unusual variations.

It crossed my mind as a kid, where did all this dyke water come from? I assumed it ran off Wincobank Hill and although some of it does, t’Dyke is swollen by many more streams on its journey to The Don.

A problem with tracing t’Dyke or Bagley Dyke to give its proper name, for most of its course it is below ground in culverts or pipes. Many years ago, t’Dyke was a typical stream meandering through green fields and open countryside before industry and the need for houses that followed, caused it to be built over.

Much of the fun we had playing in t’Dyke was tinged with danger, warnings came from all and sundry, especially ‘grown-ups’. ‘Don’t go in t’Dyke, it’s full o’ rats, the buggers ‘re vicious and if yer corner one it ‘ll go fer yer throat’. ‘Don’t forget to tie some string ‘round yer trouser bottoms, if yer surprise one it ‘ll run up yer trouser leg an’ bite yer willy’. No one explained what us little uns wi short pants should do.

‘Don’t lerrany dyke watter gerrin thi gob, tha ‘ll catch malaria, yeller fever, plague and nits. Oh, I nearly forgot, yer willy ‘ll drop off’. But the warning which scared me the most; don’t go near them tunnels, they’re full o’ bogey men and once they get yer, yer’ll disappear fer ever.

Rats there were and in abundance but usually long dead when we found them. Diseases it’s true were rife, we caught chicken pox, measles, mumps, impetigo and one of them , I can’t remember which, must have been really serious. I had a week off school and a visit from the School Board man, then a seeing to by the nit nurse when I went back. As for the bogy men, I never saw any but my pal Roger Fowler did. He told me some really scary stories about when the bogy men nearly gorrim darn a tunnel so I know it’s true.------------------------------------------To Be Continued.