Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hope I'm OK talking about Cyclops St again. Cyclops St was a cobbled street until it passed Margate, then at some point it turned to gravel although as I recall it still had curbs, then you got grass competing with gravel and a small rocky surface until the road or street just petered out into the grass that eventually became Smithies field. It's been touched on before I know, but I think there were the remains of what was once some wooden buildings or housing of some description before it blended into Smithies. When they built some small manufacturing factories (how many?) at the top of Cyclops St, my mother who lived on Botham St got a part/time job mashing teas etc at the Sheet Metal/Fabricating one, this was prior to Her and Dad being eventually moved as part of the general slum clearance that was taking place at that time. Firshill Croft was where they went and where they lived out their lives in happiness, peace and tranquility.

Edited by fleetwood

Does anyone remember playing football at the end of Skelwith Rd? Two elderly sisters lived at the end house, I can't for the life of me remember their names but I remember if the football went over their wall and onto the garden that was that you'd never get it back.

On occasions we would go further up where a goat belonging to Henry Cook would be happily grazing in the field, sneaking along on our bellies we would sometimes make it to the Gooseberry bush, unfortunately on more than one occasion Farmer Cook let loose his dog Nell and all hell would break loose as everyone scattered!

We moved to East Lancs when I was 11 but memories like these are still as clear in my mind as the day they happened. I still drive up that way when I come back on occasions as I have relatives in the Woodhouse area, it's all changed but if you close your eyes just for a second it all comes back......Happy days!

Hi John,

I took this pic yesterday from outside the gate. Despite my previous reservations, it's convinced me that the location is the same as your pic. on page 311. The brick houses must have been just behind the dyke which, I noted, runs parallel to and at the side of Upwell Street at that point, and maybe the houses backed onto the same yard as the houses on Upwell Lane.

Regards, Peter.

PetersPhonedownload4thFeb2014026_zpsc37ac603.jpg

Did they call it Upwell Terrace ?

Did they call it Upwell Terrace ?

Hi solujon,

If you are refering to the houses in the pic on page 311, nothing is shown in my 1991 "AZ street atlas". Maybe someone can go back further than this? I can't remember the houses, but they were obviously there! I'd assumed they were on Upwell Street, even though the dyke must have been in front of them as it runs parallel with the side of the road at this point.

However, if you are refering to the genel/jennel over the other side of the outbuildings in the photo. This genel links Upwell Lane to Upwell Street. I can't remember street signs on the walls and nothing is shown in my 1991 "AZ street atlas".

However the genel near Chambers Lane at the opposite end of Upwell Lane also links Upwell Lane with Upwell Street, and is shown in the atlas and named Little Lane. I know there is a street sign on the side wall of the Ball Inn at the Upwell Street end of the genel, but don't believe there is one at the other end.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

For all that lived in Cyclops Street and knew "the Dunn" family my Auntie Marie (Marie Dunn) passed away on Thursday morning. I'm posting as I know a few have discussed Cyclops Street and lots knew the Dunn family as a huge family of 10 children. RIP Marie x

For all that lived in Cyclops Street and knew "the Dunn" family my Auntie Marie (Marie Dunn) passed away on Thursday morning. I'm posting as I know a few have discussed Cyclops Street and lots knew the Dunn family as a huge family of 10 children. RIP Marie x

Please pass our condolances on to the family, as you know the Dunns have always been part of my life. Tell your mum to ring Annette anytime she needs to talk, We have also let Janis know and she sends her love.

David

Just a little observation, I think the Dunn family moved into Cyclops St after the war (2nd), as I recall their access was through the jennel next to the corner shop.

Fleetwood the gennil was between the greenwoods and the higgins nos 36 and 38

We're all fine ta, busy working and looking for holidays, I hate having the chore of looking, it was soooo much easier when all we knew was skeg :hihi: x

try Benalmedina its great and only a couple of hours away:thumbsup:

Hi everyone, it is Brooke Terrace Fred Hearnshaw lived on there he had a drapery shop on Carlisle Road opposite the bottom of Moss st he had a daughter called Pauline, I should imagine some of you on here would have known her. Jean J

Hi everyone, it is Brooke Terrace Fred Hearnshaw lived on there he had a drapery shop on Carlisle Road opposite the bottom of Moss st he had a daughter called Pauline, I should imagine some of you on here would have known her. Jean J

Didn't she take ballet lessons