Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

to cat631,hi there just been reading your info on Bland st.thank you for the maps.Also would like to say hi to peterr? &fishcake&.I was born at 16,bland st, in 1936 and i'm one of the suter clan,now in canada,cheers clydesdale.

Would that be the same family as Terry Suter : :huh:

Hi all, Just been bowsing through the different subjects and came across one Sheffield from the air. There are a few photos of Grimesthorpe Gas Works, and the is no road over to the station and the school (I presume the one by the traffic lights junction of Jenkin Road is on Rose Hill(?). The photos were taken in the 1920s. I know my dad always called the top of Holywell Road the new road. It also name the farm as Grange, That is if I got the orentation right. There are allotments where Readymix was.

Gemini2 Station Road is the one that runs from what is now Meadowhall Road by the large group of buildings on the upper left of the picture just by the railway line running over Meadowhall Road adjacent to Weedon Street. Brightside School is the last building of the two on the edge of the photo upper left of Station Road. Jenkin Road is not visible. Our house is not built yet as they were built in the gap between the tow rows of terraced houses on Skelwith Road. I remember my mum saying that Skelwith Road was a dirt track when they first moved into the house.These houses and those of Skelwith Close were built and owned by Lord William Fitzwalter who's land it was.

Sister was called June would be round 67/68 yrs old.Dont know the brother.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Hunsleystmethodistchurch_zps3866e412.jpg

Hiya Sheila/ Jean J, Been looking at sheffield pictures, this methodist

church on Hunsley st can you ever remember it been used for

weddings and christening's befor it was Wigfalls.

PS, i can't. Brian. :|

Edited by esme
Quote tags

to cat631,hi there just been reading your info on Bland st.thank you for the maps.Also would like to say hi to peterr? &fishcake&.I was born at 16,bland st, in 1936 and i'm one of the suter clan,now in canada,cheers clydesdale.

I assume you will have known the Green family who lived on Bland Street.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Hunsleystmethodistchurch_zps3866e412.jpg

Hiya Sheila/ Jean J, Been looking at sheffield pictures, this methodist

church on Hunsley st can you ever remember it been used for

weddings and christening's befor it was Wigfalls.

PS, i can't. Brian. :|

From data at Sheffield Archive, Hunsley St Methodist chapel started doing baptisms in 1891 (presumably it was built about 1890) & ceased in 1949 which presumably is when it closed perhaps joining with the Grimesthorpe Rd chapel which was built 1924 & closed 1972

Edited by esme
Quote tags

Hi Sheila/Brian, I can't remember anything going on there but digging way down in my memory my grandads brother was the caretaker there,what was spoke of through the family was that my grandad went to look after it when his brother went away over night and my grandad had the fright of his life and he turned grey over night,a cat had jumped on his bed. JeanJ

Hi Flo Fennel, I started going to Brownies in 1977 and followed through to Guides,I was the first to get my Baden Powell badge, they'd stopped doing the Queens Guide in Guides at that time and had moved it to Rangers. I had to leave St Thomas' to go to St Hilda's for Rangers with Mary Robinson but it wasn't the same. I'll probably know who you are if you was still involved then. Thank you for your wishes, I'll keep you all informed.

---------- Post added 05-11-2013 at 13:58 ----------

I remember going to centre for the Christmas fete, All the stalls, playing Bingo, cups of tea in the back, the dumb waiter used to fascinate us too, we loved pulling the ropes. Then as we got older and more mischievous we put my little brother in it and sent him up, we got in some right trouble for that. It's all boarded up now but I'm sure it's still behind it, I might make that one of my missions when we've got the major stuff out of the way. Thank you for wishing us well. There will be updates as things progress, we're remaining positive :)

At the time you joined Brownies Janie I was Brown Owl at Crookes Valley Church, the other side of the city. Was Christine Crossey (nee Timmins) your Brown Owl? Lovely, lovely lady.

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 18:48 ----------

Hi all, Just been bowsing through the different subjects and came across one Sheffield from the air. There are a few photos of Grimesthorpe Gas Works, and the is no road over to the station and the school (I presume the one by the traffic lights junction of Jenkin Road is on Rose Hill(?). The photos were taken in the 1920s. I know my dad always called the top of Holywell Road the new road. It also name the farm as Grange, That is if I got the orentation right. There are allotments where Readymix was.

It was indeed called Grange Farm, Henry and Gladys Cook (my Godmother) and their daughters Barbara and Margaret. Hence the nickname "Cookies". I spent many happy hours with them.

Hi Sheila/Brian, I can't remember anything going on there but digging way down in my memory my grandads brother was the caretaker there,what was spoke of through the family was that my grandad went to look after it when his brother went away over night and my grandad had the fright of his life and he turned grey over night,a cat had jumped on his bed. JeanJ

Was only 2 when it closed Jean,but like you things come back.Where the wall is with the open doorway it was a small yard and in the corner there was about 6 steps going down and it led to a small room.Dont know what it was but will check with our Sue and make sure I haven't dreamt it.:hihi:

------------------

Hey up JeanJ, I bet that was spooky specially if lights was out. :suspect:

I wished now i'd had gone in that building and had a look round even

though it finish up as wigfalls.

I like old churches/chapels and missions, every time i walked down

Hunsley st i never failed to take a sneeky look at the building.

Hope your well. Brian.

PS, soon be Christmas. :partyhat::banana:

After the success of his book, Recollections of Grimesthorpe, Alan Billam has written another. A Soldier From Sheffield is the story of Alan's dad in the First World War when he served and survived with The Machine Gun Corps and The Tank Corps.

The book is a limited edition of 200 copies. Alan can be contacted on: 01522 811177.

---------- Post added 14-11-2013 at 02:31 ----------

i1r0.jpg

f6oo.jpgnwdp.jpg

---------- Post added 14-11-2013 at 02:35 ----------

Further to Janie's post about St.Thomas's Church Hall.

The Foundation Stone was laid in 1906 by Miss Vickers. I wonder who she was?

At the time you joined Brownies Janie I was Brown Owl at Crookes Valley Church, the other side of the city. Was Christine Crossey (nee Timmins) your Brown Owl? Lovely, lovely lady.

---------- Post added 13-11-2013 at 18:48 ----------

It was indeed called Grange Farm, Henry and Gladys Cook (my Godmother) and their daughters Barbara and Margaret. Hence the nickname "Cookies". I spent many happy hours with them.

Hi, yes it was Christine Crossey but she was nee Minnis, her Dad used to play organ in St Thomas' church. Mr Minnis tried to teach me how to play the bugle & drums with a man called Mr Hall as the boys brigade didn't have enough members for a band so joined with the guides. I preferred to play the drums, you couldn't talk playing the bugle only I suspect that was the plan all along to keep me quite :hihi: Roy Crossey was the only man who could make my brother behave just by opening his mouth.

I was a year younger than Christines daughter and my brother was a bit younger than her son and we was all in guides or boys brigade so we all grew up together. I only saw Christine the other day, looking well, she is a lovely lady.

Would that be the same family as Terry Suter : :huh:

Hi ,pidgeon,yes thats correct,terry is my cousin,they lived on clevedon st in the yard behind my grandmothers shop on the corner of adsetts st.I am living in canada about forty miles east of vancouver in a place named langley b.c.Hope we can keep in touch. bye for now.arthur