Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi All just seen this thread as not been on for a while. I used to live on Whiteways Road, Grimesthorpe - surname was Stevnson then. Went to Whilteways school between 1981-85

Hi All just seen this thread as not been on for a while. I used to live on Whiteways Road, Grimesthorpe - surname was Stevnson then. Went to Whilteways school between 1981-85

---------------

Hiya, Welcome to the club and feel free to join in with the gossip.

Brian. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 12:45 ----------

Hi I lived at 60 Botham st we had a front room, living kitchen,2 bedrooms,attic,and a cellar.Jean J

----------------

Hiya Jean j, Our Norma's uncle lived at No50 botham st

his name was Tommy Gould, that was in Lily Marsh yard left hand side

going down.

The rooms in his house was same as yours. Brian.

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 16:33 ----------

The houses above the Who Can Tell only had one room downstairs, and maybe one bedroom and an attic, I think some had a slop kitchen, but Mazda 5 would know for sure, she lived there.

----------------

Hi Skippy, Just been looking on assie map, was the fire anywhere

near Darlington point. Brian.

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 18:39 ----------

Cant recall him bri,think what was the shop must have been front room.I can remember it being a library mrs scott,then greengrocers then an hairdressers.

-----------------------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Gowerstchurch022_zps57603c66.jpg

Hiya Sheila, :wave: Another picture of gower st, is that Elsmere rd leading

upto that chuch at top, not sure if it did stand at top of sunderland rd.

Brian.

Edited by brian1941

---------------

Hiya, Welcome to the club and feel free to join in with the gossip.

Brian. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 12:45 ----------

----------------

Hiya Jean j, Our Norma's uncle lived at No50 botham st

his name was Tommy Gould, that was in Lily Marsh yard left hand side

going down.

The rooms in his house was same as yours. Brian.

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 16:33 ----------

----------------

Hi Skippy, Just been looking on assie map, was the fire anywhere

near Darlington point. Brian.

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 18:39 ----------

-----------------------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Gowerstchurch022_zps57603c66.jpg

Hiya Sheila, :wave: Another picture of gower st, is that Elsmere rd leading

upto that chuch at top, not sure if it did stand at top of sunderland rd.

Brian.

It is Bri but half way up it split into two.Ellesmere rd and Petre st.

Darlington Point is an 8 hour drive from the fires Brian.

Hi Sheila, When i lived behind hairdrsser and next door down there was

the entrance to our yard, can you remember the peoples name next house

down from that entrance. I'am thinking a name keith. Brian.

The houses above the Who Can Tell only had one room downstairs, and maybe one bedroom and an attic, I think some had a slop kitchen, but Mazda 5 would know for sure, she lived there.

yes we had one room downstairs and slop kitchen and upstairs one bedroom and attic very crowded there was 2adults and 4 children i used to go to slipper baths when I got older

---------- Post added 24-10-2013 at 19:48 ----------

I have been trying to keep up with all the chat dad been in hospital three times this year a 12 week stay then home for 2wks home again for 2 weeks then he had a mild stroke visiting every day takes it out of you so I have been neglecting myself had to go hospital my self with different organs not to worry what did we used to say never mind it will come out in wash I hope everyone is ok

Hi Sheila, When i lived behind hairdrsser and next door down there was

the entrance to our yard, can you remember the peoples name next house

down from that entrance. I'am thinking a name keith. Brian.

Can only recall Mr/Mrs Boam I know they had a son but don't know his name.

Hiya Sheila & Brian did Bill Hawkins live in that yard at the top of Moss Street at the back of your house. Jean.

Hiya Sheila & Brian did Bill Hawkins live in that yard at the top of Moss Street at the back of your house. Jean.

Yes Jean but the house came under Hunsley St,he lived next but one to Mum.Hope your well love.x

----------

Hi Jean J, When Billy Hawkins left pitsmoor some years ago,

reasons unknown he went to live at the salvation amy backside

Atkinsons down moor.

But he did move out at some point, never see him for years. :suspect: Brian.

Edited by brian1941

Hi pigeon - yes, old directories are great for bringing back memories! Here are Hunsley Street scans for 1942 and 1971..:)

JUST BEEN LOOKING AT THE RECORDS AND NOTICED THEY ALL HAD JOBS OF SOME DESCRIPTION? NOBODY WAS UNEMPLOYED NEVER KNEW HARRY WHATTEM WAS A GAS MAN? ALWAYS THOUGHT HE HAD HIS OWN BUSINESS IN THAT BIG YARD OF HIS WITH PC BILLAM ON GUARD:hihi:

Hey up cuz? weerz tha been?

Been busy working, we now do 12.5 hour shifts n we seem to get more night shifts than we did before n I don't function well from nights, my body clock is all over the place. I tend to look on forum when I'm at Mum's but not had chance to catch up lately. Hope you are all ok?, I keep up with bits from your Mum on facebook :-) x

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 17:03 ----------

Hiya, not sure if anyone saw a feature in The Sheffield Star 19/10/2013 about Grimesthorpe Family Centre? If you google 'Community centre on brink of closure' sheffield star, it will bring it up. Many of you will know the centre and many will have some memories of weddings, parties, pantomimes, girl guides, brownies etc, I know my family have at least 4 generations of memories there.

The feature is appealing for help as we had just had the boiler condemned and couldn't afford to have it fixed, we haven't paid for a new one as the star stated, we simply haven't got the money, thanks to a gas leak which left the centre with a massive bill. Thankfully a past member who used to come to the youth club and is now a gas fitter, felt he wanted to help and managed to get the heating back in full working order through his contacts at a faction of the price. We now desperately need help with pointing, new roof, damp proofing and other jobs, we recently had a grant for new windows which has made a massive improvement with warmth downstairs.

We desperately need help so if anyone knows of anyone who can help, we are a registered charity, please get in contact or pop to the centre. Mondays is Attercliffe dog club, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays is dancing, Wednesday nights is youth club, Saturday is ballroom dancing and Sunday mornings is Karate. It would be lovely to hear stories and memories.