Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

The houses above the Who Can Tell only had one room downstairs, and maybe one bedroom and an attic, I think some had a slop kitchen, but Mazda 5 would know for sure, she lived there.

The houses above the Who Can Tell only had one room downstairs, and maybe one bedroom and an attic, I think some had a slop kitchen, but Mazda 5 would know for sure, she lived there.

Think your right Trev,i'm seeing Linda Hanwell on Friday i'll ask.hope your both well and keep safe.xx

I hope you`re save from the bush fires Skippy. Brother in law lives at Engedine which is a bit closer to the Blue mountains than you I think.

If I can remember correctly, why the lack of 'odd' numbers not showing the middle and upper section of Botham St, this would be on the right side looking down. I was asking hillsbro about another matter quite sometime ago and if I remember correctly he said the houses were classed as 'back to back' and not registered or recorded as such, now we all know that wasn't the case...
Hillsboro is correct regarding the usual content of Kelly's directories. Back-to-back houses were also known as "court" houses, and the directories normally give only the court number without listing individual householders (see Hillsboro's post #6004 on the previous page - the scan of Hunsley Street shows "Court 1"). The postal addresses of court houses were "1 ct 1...", "1 ct 2..." or "1/1...", "1/2..." etc. Sometimes the court numbers were not given in directories - if Nos. 35+ on Botham Street were back-to-back houses, or otherwise smaller than the ones lower down, this might explain the omission from directories (I have the 1965 directory which also doesn't show them). Otherwise it could simply have been a mistake by the compiler of the directory, though this would be very unusual. Edited by beechnut

Think your right Trev,i'm seeing Linda Hanwell on Friday i'll ask.hope your both well and keep safe.xx

-----------

Hiya Sheila, Been looking on cyclops st at your old number

56, looks like a W Wilson lived there, i thought you were the last in

that place the list says 1973. ;)

-----------

Hiya Sheila, Been looking on cyclops st at your old number

56, looks like a W Wilson lived there, i thought you were the last in

that place the list says 1973. ;)

We were Bri,but only rented he was the landlord.We left 4th august 72.

.. - if Nos. 35+ on Botham Street were back-to-back ... this might explain the omission from directories..
Hi beechnut - I just looked at the 1911 census return for Botham Street. The odd-numbered houses 35+ had only 3 rooms, while those lower down were larger, so it does seem that they might have been back-to-back houses. If so the court number was presumably missed off the Kelly’s listing.

Hi I lived at 60 Botham st we had a front room, living kitchen,2 bedrooms,attic,and a cellar.Jean J

Hi beechnut - I just looked at the 1911 census return for Botham Street. The odd-numbered houses 35+ had only 3 rooms, while those lower down were larger, so it does seem that they might have been back-to-back houses. If so the court number was presumably missed off the Kelly’s listing.

hillsbro - On my previous answer I was in no way implying that I didn't believe your records in not showing quite a number of houses on your 'scans' because the powers that be at the time was labeling these houses 'Back to Back'. All I meant was while these houses were small, I don't remember any of them being actually traditional back to back housing.

hillsbro - On my previous answer I was in no way implying that I didn't believe your records in not showing quite a number of houses on your 'scans' because the powers that be at the time was labeling these houses 'Back to Back'. All I meant was while these houses were small, I don't remember any of them being actually traditional back to back housing.
I know - I was just curious as to whether they were indeed back to back, so I looked at the 1911 census (unfortunately there are no useful photos on the picturesheffield.co.uk site!) It would be very unusual for large numbers of non-court houses to be missed out of directories. The fact that Nos. 35+ had 3 rooms suggests that they were back to back (3 rooms usually means living room, bedroom and attic). The "Who Can Tell" had 6 rooms and the houses further down mostly 5.

:hihi:

I know - I was just curious as to whether they were indeed back to back, so I looked at the 1911 census (unfortunately there are no useful photos on the picturesheffield.co.uk site!) It would be very unusual for large numbers of non-court houses to be missed out of directories. The fact that Nos. 35+ had 3 rooms suggests that they were back to back (3 rooms usually means living room, bedroom and attic). The "Who Can Tell" had 6 rooms and the houses further down mostly 5.

MOST of my reletives went in the who can tell :hihi:

I hope you`re save from the bush fires Skippy. Brother in law lives at Engedine which is a bit closer to the Blue mountains than you I think.

Engadine is 40 minutes up the freeway from us, and closer to the Blue Mountains as you say, we are getting the smoke from the fires that are burning around the Southern Highlands, but it's mostly farming land where we are, and the wooded areas are a good distance from us, so we usually miss these things, except the smoke.

I seem to think Jean Higginbottom's in laws live or did live at Engadine at sometime ????

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 11:41 ----------

[quote=hillsbro;

The "Who Can Tell" had 6 rooms and the houses further down mostly 5.

I know for sure that the brick company houses had 3 bedrooms, front room, back room, large kitchen, seperate bathroom and toilet inside, hot water boiler behind the fireplace, so they were well before there time, no attic, but I think there was an access in one of the ceilings somewhere to get into the roof cavity.

Edited by skippy