Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

I've zoomed this pic a few times and can't see the object being a horse trough, it's described by Picture Sheffield as an electrical distribution box .Also the hill is quite steep there and may not have been a very god spot to park a horse and cart. All that aside, I thought there was one there.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps4d168881.jpg

I've zoomed this pic a few times and can't see the object being a horse trough, it's described by Picture Sheffield as an electrical distribution box .Also the hill is quite steep there and may not have been a very god spot to park a horse and cart. All that aside, I thought there was one there.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps4d168881.jpg

Hi beezerboy and everyone.

I lived at number 5 Adsetts Street, a few yards from the Victoria Hotel and the club. Could see them, the electricity distribution column, police box and school all from our front door step. I was there from birth in 1943 until leaving in 1957. I'm sure there was no horse trough during my time. Click this.... http://www.picturesheffield.com.... and type in 'electricity distribution column' to get close up pics. I reported to picsheff that the pic. was the wrong way round. They have rectified this now, although their notes still show upgrade in progress. There are three other pics. of columns around the city also.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I lived on Botham St, went to Grimesthorpe School and Owler Lane School, there was definitely a horse trough behind the police box.

I lived on Botham St, went to Grimesthorpe School and Owler Lane School, there was definitely a horse trough behind the police box.

----------

Hiya Fleetwood. Any idea what year you saw it, i use to go in

Grimesthorpe club in 60/70S didn't see out about then. :huh:

Sheila where does Steve Taffinder lives we used to hang out together with Mick Ward hope your both well hehe

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 17:50 ----------

I don't remember a horse trough I went to grimi school from 58 to 62 and used to go into the club

Hi fleetwood.

This stirs my memory, but I think it was a grit bin with a sloping lid. It was up against the back of the police box. I wouldn't put my life savings on that view though, it's too long ago now to be that sure!

Sheila where does Steve Taffinder lives we used to hang out together with Mick Ward hope your both well hehe

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 17:50 ----------

I don't remember a horse trough I went to grimi school from 58 to 62 and used to go into the club

-------------

What number house did you live at in cyclops st hehe.

Hi fleetwood.

This stirs my memory, but I think it was a grit bin with a sloping lid. It was up against the back of the police box. I wouldn't put my life savings on that view though, it's too long ago now to be that sure!

I remember the bin you are talking about, this trough was probably 8ft or so behind that bin, it was a free standing unit probably 4ft high and measured approx. 3ft by 8ft and looked to be made of metal. I don't know when it was finally removed but it was there in the forties and early fifties.

Hi fleetwood.

--------

Peter, I do agree with you there was a grit bin near the police box,

i use to take some home in a small bread bag and then put it in

a carrier bag so no one could see it. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Brian.

I remember the bin you are talking about, this trough was probably 8ft or so behind that bin, it was a free standing unit probably 4ft high and measured approx. 3ft by 8ft and looked to be made of metal. I don't know when it was finally removed but it was there in the forties and early fifties.

Now that does seem familiar. Could it have been of concrete panels, although that would be a bit leaky, and parallel with Earl Marshall Road opposite the school where the lollypop man would be. Or is my mind playing tricks? If only there was a photo around!

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 21:39 ----------

--------

Peter, I do agree with you there was a grit bin near the police box,

i use to take some home in a small bread bag and then put it in

a carrier bag so no one could see it. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Brian.

Risk of a clip around the lug 'ole from the bobby in those days eh Brian? :)

Edited by PeterR

its called whats tha up to. memories of an attercliffe bobby by martyn johnson.great book :thumbsup:

Ah a bet thas kept em in overtime over years :hihi::hihi:

Further info on the trough, as I said before it looked to be made of metal and I'm thinking it looked like cast iron to me which makes sense really what with Sheffield's steel industry going 'gang busters' around that time, they probably made hundreds like that. The position of the trough was definitely parallel to Grimesthorpe Rd not the other way as someone mentioned, in essence it was pointing towards the school and Grimesthorpe club as it was known at the time.