Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi everybody,i don't post on here very often but I have just seen a name from my past, Mark Askham. If you wouldn't mind Pigeon, could you mention Tom Pinder to Mark when you next see him. He was(is) a friend of Gary Sargeant and Edgar Bird. Thanks in advance.

I remember E Sockets. lol x

do you remember sockets when they had small house window shop in a small row of houses out side the old gas company on upwell street

Good detective work Sheila,the Johnson'swho lived in the middle of Botham st was'nt any relation to me,I think mrs Johnson first name was Annie,there was another family with the name Johnson they lived on the opposite side of Botham st to me but nearer to the Hooker.

-------------

Jean J, Our norma said there was some johnsons that lived in

a yard across from hooker pub, Alan west and john hancock lived

in same yard, now, morma's cousin tony married one of the Johnson

girls.

---------- Post added 25-08-2013 at 19:36 ----------

I talk to Ann Johnson,i'll see if its her parents.Or she sometimes goes on forum.

----------------

Hi Sheila, Our norma seems to think they were twins in top yard of the

butlers opposit the Mrs Lily bows.

------

also she new three sister in the yard up steps you mentioned across

from bus stop, she also new a david shaw- his sister was a dancer.

Hope you having a good day, Brian.

do you remember sockets when they had small house window shop in a small row of houses out side the old gas company on upwell street

I find this interesting, didn't know that. As I mentioned some time ago on the thread, I used to buy my Dinky toys at Sockett's on Carlisle Road in the early 50's. Met up with them all again in 1966 when I was a sales rep.for Ever Ready and supplied their two shops at Firvale with batteries etc. over a period of six years. Last saw the daughter Barbara about 35 years later, when she was still running the smaller shop, which has now also gone , when I popped in for a chat about old times a few years ago.

Edited by PeterR

My sister and I rented a grotty furnished flat in the first house adjoining the row of shops where Socketts was. I remember it as quite a big shop with a double frontage?

My sister and I rented a grotty furnished flat in the first house adjoining the row of shops where Socketts was. I remember it as quite a big shop with a double frontage?

Yes Minimo, the property was/is double fronted and went quite a way back inside. It was on Barnsley Road just past Skinnerthorpe Road. I would have to check, but from memory, it was firstly a Co-op store and then John Banners who had the store at Attercliffe.

The other smaller shop at Firvale was/is further along the row of shops, just before the turn off onto Owler Lane. I knew someone who had a flat on Owler Lane, not far past the shop, about 50 years ago.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

It's the one at Firvale I was thinking of. I couldn't remember the road, it was of course Owler Lane.

The landlord used to come into the flat when we were at work. The people upstairs told us he would poke around, even in the wardrobe, to make sure we didn't have an electric heater.

Electricity was 'free' but gas was on a slot meter.

Charming gent he was - not.

Edited to add, thankfully we were there for only a short time about 1972.

Edited by Minimo

sockets had a shop on Barnsley rd across the rd from the sunbeam then moved to fireval

---------- Post added 26-08-2013 at 19:31 ----------

sockets had a shop on Barnsley rd across the rd from the sunbeam then moved to fireval I played football with Geoff in the 60s for grimsthorpe with big lou hinchcliff

sockets had a shop on Barnsley rd across the rd from the sunbeam then moved to fireval

---------- Post added 26-08-2013 at 19:31 ----------

sockets had a shop on Barnsley rd across the rd from the sunbeam then moved to fireval I played football with Geoff in the 60s for grimsthorpe with big lou hinchcliff

Since when has Barnsley rd or firvale been in Grimesthorpe

Since when has Barnsley rd or firvale been in Grimesthorpe

My appologies if I appear to digress too much sand dollars. I do recognise the importance of not flooding the Grimesthorpe page with irrelevance. Socketts had shops at Grimesthorpe and I was merely discussing how they had moved on, and related issues.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

My appologies if I appear to digress too much sand dollars. I do recognise the importance of not flooding the Grimesthorpe page with irrelevance. Socketts had shops at Grimesthorpe and I was merely discussing how they had moved on, and related issues.

Regards, Peter.

hey sweetie you don`t have to apologise to me I remember sockets too to be honest they all seemed to merge into one them days .........x

hey sweetie you don`t have to apologise to me I remember sockets too to be honest they all seemed to merge into one them days .........x

I think that is because we lived in close knit communities and we could go out to play with our friends for hours on end, kids who went to Grimesthorpe School had friends living in the Owler Lane area, Page Hall, upper and lower Grimesthorpe, and the churches and youth clubs attracted children from as far away as Firth Park, so the areas did merge in to one. Also our mums had no need to go into the town centre to shop as all their needs were to hand in the locality.