Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hello Brian. Sorry to say I never went in The Who Can Tell, must have missed a good pint.

I dont know where the water you heard was coming from but if it wasn't a sewer, it would have ended up in The Don. Having said that, in those days, perhaps the sewers went in The River Don too.

This is part of an 1850 map of pre Grimesthorpe. The asylum being sited about fifty yards from the corner of Adsetts Street and Carlisle Street East. It doesn't show a water coarse. There was very little else in the area at that time.

At the bottom right hand of the map is the Sheffield To Rotherham railway line.

http://s20.postimg.org/i1x0kdk19/DSCN8889.jpg

Sorry it's a bit blurred. The text reads: Licensed Victuallers Asylum.[/quote

--------------------------------

Hello Ralph, Back again.

I have now understood and digested your wording of your post, i am

bewildered about the water and as the map shows nothing regards

Sping water ect?, i have theory.

Ralhp i think you could have a picture of the pub, at the end of

the pub to the right downstairs was the juke box room.

Now above that room it was occupied by two people ( Private )

i now wonder if maybe i could have heard water from there living

quarters.

Although i could hear water in the celler and believing what

the Landlord said could have been a PORKY Hm.

This is my last on this Ralph so i'll close and thank you for your time

and effort with the map. Cheers Ralph. Brian.

PS, i'am sending picture of the pub and hope Photobucket as

put itself right.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 12:53 ----------

Ralph, Here is the picture Who can tell

i hope it comes through. Brian.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Photo1502_zps4df89c0e.jpg

-----------------------

Fire away Mike,:hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 18:52 ----------

-----------------------

Bit late getting back to you Sheila about Who'ker.

--------------

Where great when everyone had gone home the odd sunday Nights,

Charlie use to say hurry and stop on celler head while everyone had

gone.

Somut Eles yer didn't know Sheila. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 19:00 ----------

Ah brick yard red dust all over place :hihi:

Of course i knew Bri, but we used to take a couple of crates of pale ale out.Don't forget there was quite a lot of us in our gang so we used to take it in turns every weekend at someones house.Cheese and onion grated before we went out slapped on breadcakes when we got in.Eee them were days lad.By the way that pub down from John Heath was Guards Rest sure i said Grapes and i can't be bothered going back to look.x

Hello, All: Greetings from Guelph, Ontario, Canada...have been reading through the threads for some time, planning to write down some of my memories, just had my 64th birthday so I'd better get cracking while I'm still here. We lived at 7 Bland Street and I can still vaguely remember some of the neighbours' names. Mrs. Crossland was at #5. The gennel beside was bricked up at the street end and was used to store potatoes? by the chip shop, although they had a black shed in the middle of the common yard. Can't remember the names of #3 or #1. Then, there was a wall adjacent to ? on Carlisle Street. The Hills lived next to ?; they had three daughters, June, ?, and Kathleen, who was my age. Beside the Hills was the back of the chip shop and next was the cobbler's? I think their name was Levick? The gennel to Carlisle Street was next with the butcher's shop? beside. Then, I think there was a hardware store, baker's, and newspaper shop on the corner. The Copnells owned the newspaper shop. I think their daughter's name was Susan. She went to a private school (I don't know what you call them in England); whereas, I went to Owler Lane then Grimesthorpe. I remember a few names from school but will save further memories until next time. In closing, the #1 item on my Bucket List is to visit the old country again--haven't been back since 1975 and much has changed, of course. Last summer, I took a virtual walk via google maps and, surprisingly, could still find my way from where our house would have been to all of my family, where their houses would have been. As they say, time's a wasting.

Of course i knew Bri, but we used to take a couple of crates of pale ale out.Don't forget there was quite a lot of us in our gang so we used to take it in turns every weekend at someones house.Cheese and onion grated before we went out slapped on breadcakes when we got in.Eee them were days lad.By the way that pub down from John Heath was Guards Rest sure i said Grapes and i can't be bothered going back to look.x

---------------------------

Hi Sheila, Yes i'am glad you remember them times, saturday nights

was a night i always looked forward to and calling into that Arab cafe

on Carlisle st. :|

It was on a corner near the Telephone box, can you remember

big Ann working behind the counter she had a girl called Tracy and

i think they live up Shiregreen now. Bri

Did she have a son nick name Binge??? if its who I think it is they went to live on the Oval at Firth Park just down road from the Pickhards :help:

Edited by pigeon
recall

Hello, All: Greetings from Guelph, Ontario, Canada...have been reading through the threads for some time, planning to write down some of my memories, just had my 64th birthday so I'd better get cracking while I'm still here. We lived at 7 Bland Street and I can still vaguely remember some of the neighbours' names. Mrs. Crossland was at #5. The gennel beside was bricked up at the street end and was used to store potatoes? by the chip shop, although they had a black shed in the middle of the common yard. Can't remember the names of #3 or #1. Then, there was a wall adjacent to ? on Carlisle Street. The Hills lived next to ?; they had three daughters, June, ?, and Kathleen, who was my age. Beside the Hills was the back of the chip shop and next was the cobbler's? I think their name was Levick? The gennel to Carlisle Street was next with the butcher's shop? beside. Then, I think there was a hardware store, baker's, and newspaper shop on the corner. The Copnells owned the newspaper shop. I think their daughter's name was Susan. She went to a private school (I don't know what you call them in England); whereas, I went to Owler Lane then Grimesthorpe. I remember a few names from school but will save further memories until next time. In closing, the #1 item on my Bucket List is to visit the old country again--haven't been back since 1975 and much has changed, of course. Last summer, I took a virtual walk via google maps and, surprisingly, could still find my way from where our house would have been to all of my family, where their houses would have been. As they say, time's a wasting.

Hi Ramshead, I lived at 46 Bland St., if you are just 64 you must have been in same year at school as me as I am 64 in July, but I just can't place you, as for Susan Copnell, I don;t know about a private school because I remember her being in the same class as me, please let me know your name, see if it rings a bell

Did she have a son nick name Binge??? if its who I think it is they went to live on the Oval at Firth Park just down road from the Pickhards :help:

just remembered the name now Tracy Woodliff but will stand corrected:hihi:

just remembered the name now Tracy Woodliff but will stand corrected:hihi:

Tracy Woodliffe lived on Cyclops St,had a sister forgot her name but she had a brother called Stephen sure he had red hair.

---------- Post added 15-04-2013 at 20:55 ----------

Ann's in a wheelchair now Bri she adopted Tracy.x

Hi cat631, I lived on Adsetts Street from 1943 to 1957 so this map particularly interests me. Am trying to orientate. Presumably the railway line is in the same position now as in 1850 and given that it runs parallel with Carlisle Street East, is the asylum situated on the left just past Adsetts Street when travelling towards the city centre on Carlisle Street East??

Regards, Peter.

The location of The Sheffield and Rotherham Licensed Victuallers Association asylum is shown on the next maps.

It was not an asylum for the insane but a place for Association members to spend their retirement in comfort and safety. The buildings became known as Alms Houses and in 1879 the residents moved to new premises on Abbydale Road South. The Alms Houses were absorbed into Grimesthorpe's housing as industrialisation expanded and became Nos. 11 to 17 Lincoln Place.

They were demolished about 1967.

http://s20.postimg.org/nin2oa8x9/P1000269.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/hk99e1pyl/P1000271.jpg

Edited by cat631

Tracy Woodliffe lived on Cyclops St,had a sister forgot her name but she had a brother called Stephen sure he had red hair.

---------- Post added 15-04-2013 at 20:55 ----------

Ann's in a wheelchair now Bri she adopted Tracy.x

yes it was steve and he did have red hair !

The location of The Sheffield and Rotherham Licensed Victuallers Association asylum is shown on the next maps.

It was not an asylum for the insane but a place for Association members to spend their retirement in comfort and safety. The buildings became known as Alms Houses and in 1879 the residents moved to new premises on Abbydale Road South. The Alms Houses were absorbed into Grimesthorpe's housing as industrialisation expanded and became Nos. 11 to 17 Lincoln Place.

They were demolished about 1967.

http://s20.postimg.org/nin2oa8x9/P1000269.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/hk99e1pyl/P1000271.jpg

Thankyou for that intriguing info. Didn't know that there were houses off Bland Street and had no idea about the existence of Lincoln Place and Knowsley Place.

My dad used to keep his motorbike and sidecar in a garage at the top of Bland Street. On the map is shown what appears to me to be an entrance between nos. 10 and 14 into a courtyard. Possibly no. 12 was demolished to create this, as I remember going through a covered arch to garages which were set out like the property on the map.

This would be about 1947 when I was 3 or 4 years old. At least this is how I have remembered this for the past 65 years, but I could be mistaken I suppose.

On Picture Sheffield is a 1902 photo of James Cottam omnibus proprietor and general carter of Bland Street, with his coach and horses. Wonder if he stabled them in the property at that time.

Edited by PeterR

--------------------

Hello Sheila, Yes they were good nights and dont forget we played

darts at 501 a tanner a man, never won the kitty money though. :hihi::hihi:

----------------

That pub sounds more like Guards rest.

---------- Post added 16-04-2013 at 19:17 ----------

By, those were the days my friends when you could rely on the trams,

are you in this picture, three people upstairs at front one looks like me.

Just for fun, this tram on upwell st is making its way to page hall, but

where was the first stop after it came from under the Bridge.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Upwellst-2-_zpsb8343320.jpg

Edited by brian1941