Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi PeterR - If you lived on Adsetts St did you know Raymond Butcher? I went to the same schools as Raymond.

Sorry I don't recall the name. I left Grimesthorpe in 1957 though. The years must have erased some memories also:hihi:

When saw the man in the flat cap I thought it was my Uncle Tom (Tommy Clarke), he lived on Cleveden St.

Yes my grandad probley going to club:suspect:

Is your sister Doreen? I last saw her at Firth Browns in about 1960. Afraid I don't remember you though, but I left Grimesthorpe in 1957.

my sister was doreens mother I am not from grimesthorpe I just put my nose in now and again but I married a girl from grimy

Hi awoollen, it was Les' Rhodes, we were big mates, went all over together, until we started 'courting'.... now that's an old saying.... and then we lost contact, used to see Mick & Terry up Firth Park, but haven't seen them for years.

they live over shiregreen ronksly rd

I also knew him as Mr. Harrison at the time. He would send me on an errand and pay me in fruit with the over ripe bits cut off. I appreciated it though :hihi: He kept his horse and cart at the Bowling Green stables.

---------------

Peter, I remember playing in and around them stables, i didn't know

that Mr H arrison had a horse and cart to be honest.

But i can remember the Landlady from the Bowling Green coming outside

and telling us young kids, dont be caught playing round there when

the Mr comes home. :confused:

cle.jpg

---------------

Hi, Was that a garage at the bottom of addsets on the photo,

---------------

that's clevedon st

Hi awoollen, great photo's. The one looking down Southwell Rd, I'm not sure, but it looks like my dads car on the right side.

You said your sister lived in Harrison's fruit shop yard, would that be Mrs Rhodes, Lee's mother?

Hi Geotom, Remember one of the first cars your dad had, when you went out in it ,all our gang ran at the back pretending to push it.Happy days long ago.

my sister was doreens mother I am not from grimesthorpe I just put my nose in now and again but I married a girl from grimy

Thanks Alan. There was a 'photo on 'picturesheffield' of the front of your sister's house showing the steelworks wall at the bottom side and a couple of houses at the top. Unfortunately it has been removed now along with many other pics of Grimesthorpe, but should be available at Sheffield City Libraries. I could see over the wall from our backyard. Often wonder what happened to them. I remember that Doreen's dad was a crane driver but don't know where. Years later I was a clerk at Firth Browns and in one department I was sent on a training course so I could stand in if the full time crane driver didn't turn up. It was great as a 20 year old, loading up to ten tons at a time in one go onto eight wheeler lorries and rail wagons. Those were the days:)

Edited by PeterR
Added more info.

---------------

Hi Brian, as Alan says you're looking down Cleveland Street. The pic is taken from Carlisle Road with The Wellington Inn in the left foreground . Cleveland Street crossed Adsetts street as far as the steelworks wall, or in today's speak, into a cul-de-sac. There were houses on both sides with a big entrance to a yard on the right.. That yard had steelworks over the wall onto Adsetts Street if you see what I mean. There was a small 'entry' to the yard on the left...over that wall was our big yard up to Harrisons shop. I think it's the steelworks wall on the pic which you're mistaking for a possible garage.

This piece of wall can still be recognised today. Just look for where the wall was attached to the ends of the houses either side, the mortar there is not pointed and is rough.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR
more information

---------------

Peter, I remember playing in and around them stables, i didn't know

that Mr H arrison had a horse and cart to be honest.

But i can remember the Landlady from the Bowling Green coming outside

and telling us young kids, dont be caught playing round there when

the Mr comes home. :confused:

Hi Brian, I lived four doors away from the shop and was born in 1943. I would have been about four when I first became aware that the horse and cart were 'parked ' outside the shop first thing in the mornings. Presumably Mr. Harrison would have been to the fruit and fish markets.

There is a 'photo on 'picturesheffield' of Mr. Harrison's son Walter (I incorrectly have referred to Mr. Harrison on a previous quote as Walter) taken in the 1920's with a previous horse and cart. They are standing at the junctions of Adsetts Street, Grimesthorpe Road and Earl Marshall Road. The corner of the Victoria Hotel, Grimesthorpe Junior School and houses up Grimesthorpe Road are in view.

Nice story about being caught playing outside the Old Bowling Green

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR
More information added

Hi Brian, as Alan says you're looking down Cleveland Street. The pic is taken from Carlisle Road with The Wellington Inn in the left foreground . Cleveland Street crossed Adsetts street as far as the steelworks wall, or in today's speak, into a cul-de-sac. There were houses on both sides with a big entrance to a yard on the right.. That yard had steelworks over the wall onto Adsetts Street if you see what I mean. There was a small 'entry' to the yard on the left...over that wall was our big yard up to Harrisons shop. I think it's the steelworks wall on the pic which you're mistaking for a possible garage.

Regards, Peter.

It is the steel works wall we had our bonfires on that bit of land at bottom of street there was another boozer at bottom just visable in the photo:help:cant remember its name though???nowt like a few pictures to kick life back into thread:love:think thats Butlers chippy opposite wellington top of street.

Edited by pigeon
??