Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi Bri,think it was swindell's.Can you remember harry cross being on commitee at grimey club.sheilax

-------------------------

Hello Shelia Love, Yes i do remember Harry Cross also his son

Ian Cross now live sheffield 5.

I think Harry was secretary of grimesthorpe club and with his cronies

the club shut down and i think we know why. :sad:

remember bayley's,brenda and frank parents.can recall david think there was another brother.and i remember mr shelton? the german fellow, had a pigeon hut top of hunsley st.

3 brothers david neil and Antony Bailey

-------------------

Hi Fleetwood, On and off i knocked about with Bob Pickering and to my

suprise one day they let me in, to your question about the room it

was one big massive room.

I remember the table under the window facing grimesthorpe rd just

around the corner. :suspect:

Hi brian1941 - The shop and entrance I am talking about was bang on the corner with the big shop window facing Botham St, there was another entrance to the house on Grimesthorpe Rd (don't know whether you would call it a back or front door). Did you ever go into the old shop area at all, I suppose what I am asking was there a door in the house that had access to that old shop? My way of thinking there would have to be, I realise I have flogged this issue to death so I won't talk about it again! But there again if a Pickering family member wants to come on and throw some light on this it would be sure appreciated. I have to mention this one thing though, I remember the Pickerings moving in from God knows where, Roland Pickering scared me to bloody death, I tried to make sure I kept out of his way.

To brian1941 - pigeon - rf2690 - Thanks for your info, 'Swindells' rings a bell actually but what a name for a business, get swindled at Swindells. Getting back to that mysterious shop at the top of Botham St, I wonder if that shop portion was ever lived in, as a kid I seem remember trying to look through the mucky window and it always looked like an old dilapidated discarded shop on the inside with an old counter and chopping block. I have often asked myself whoever had the shop, did they live on the premises or was it a lock-up separate from the house? As someone mentioned the Pickerings lived there at some point and they definitely had a large family, wouldn't they have turned that area into another room or something?

Fleetwood, the Bilton family lived at that corner house before the Pickerings. I remember my mother doing a bit of networking between them to arrange the move! The corner house was much bigger because it had been a shop. The Pickering family lived next door to us at 88 Botham Street - a large family. Let's see - Ma and Pa and then Dorothy, Roland, Raymond, Kenneth, Pat, Robert, Leslie, the in-laws the Shemelds and someone called Uncle Arthur. Eventually they did a swap and the Bilton family moved next door to us. My best recollection is of Kenneth Pickering. He was a nice lad. After we had pestered him for a while he would take us for a mad ride along Petre Street in a huge pram! Talk about making your own fun!

Fleetwood, the Bilton family lived at that corner house before the Pickerings. I remember my mother doing a bit of networking between them to arrange the move! The corner house was much bigger because it had been a shop. The Pickering family lived next door to us at 88 Botham Street - a large family. Let's see - Ma and Pa and then Dorothy, Roland, Raymond, Kenneth, Pat, Robert, Leslie, the in-laws the Shemelds and someone called Uncle Arthur. Eventually they did a swap and the Bilton family moved next door to us. My best recollection is of Kenneth Pickering. He was a nice lad. After we had pestered him for a while he would take us for a mad ride along Petre Street in a huge pram! Talk about making your own fun!

You forgot Malcolm,not sure if he died.But think there's only Bob and Pat left,possibly Malcolm but used to see him often in town not seen him for a few years now.See Bob every so often but can't remember Dorothy.

I spoke to Bob Pickering, possibly a year ago, and he used to go to the Attercliffe Lib's club on a Saturday night, I don't know if he still does.

I asked him about his cousin, Tommy, who I used to knock about with, but he hadn't seen him in a lot of years.

I think they moved up Arbourthorne when they started pulling the houses down.

Hi brian1941 - The shop and entrance I am talking about was bang on the corner with the big shop window facing Botham St, there was another entrance to the house on Grimesthorpe Rd (don't know whether you would call it a back or front door). Did you ever go into the old shop area at all, I suppose what I am asking was there a door in the house that had access to that old shop? My way of thinking there would have to be, I realise I have flogged this issue to death so I won't talk about it again! But there again if a Pickering family member wants to come on and throw some light on this it would be sure appreciated. I have to mention this one thing though, I remember the Pickerings moving in from God knows where, Roland Pickering scared me to bloody death, I tried to make sure I kept out of his way.

---------------------------

Hi Fleetwood, Yes Roland was a weird chap but we had some good

laughs, he had an allotment on Grimesthorpe rd which he took over

from his dad when he died.

He always give me a cabbage and broard beans, in the late 80s

i use to drink down attercliffe and he would bring some veggy and greens

into the pub and dish them out to customers.

-------------------

That was interesting info what Olgazoramov put on here about the

Biltons, although i didn't come into Grimesthorpe till 1955/6 and pickerings

house was as it was till it got knocked down

3 brothers david neil and Antony Bailey
remember this place

s20171.jpg

remember this place

s20171.jpg

LOOKS LIKE UPWELL ST???? have you got any more old photos we all like looking at them ...

You forgot Malcolm,not sure if he died.But think there's only Bob and Pat left,possibly Malcolm but used to see him often in town not seen him for a few years now.See Bob every so often but can't remember Dorothy.

Malcolm died a few years ago.

Did anyone see the class photo' in last nights 'Star'...it was Grimesthorpe Junior School, in the background Miss Hanson's name on the door.. in the photo' front row I think Kieth Smith and next to the teacher is Alan Ainsworth, so it would have been the year below my year.

Malcolm died a few years ago.

Thanks David,thought it funny not seeing him about but never thought to ask Bob.:loopy: