Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

As i said or tried to, one of my relations maybe, a lot of Clarks around, remember visiting them about 37 dad had a lot of sisters plus my Grandad Clarke was still in Sheffield at that time(34/35/37)

Hi flyer, can you remember where you visited them and when, and any sisters names?

If you look on 'the Discussions' page of the Forum, there is a petition to try to stop more houses being built on our old play ground...Wincobank Hill. 2000 signatures are needed before Monday....please help stop more houses being built on 'our hill'.

Hello John. I wonder if your Grandad knew and mentioned Walt Bannister. He lived on Birdwell Road and worked at the gasworks for many years?

Like a lot of people at that time Grandad never spoke at all really about work or past years . He retired when I was 5 in 1949 . Its a shame I never asked him about the past; he would have had lots of tales to tell.

If you look on 'the Discussions' page of the Forum, there is a petition to try to stop more houses being built on our old play ground...Wincobank Hill. 2000 signatures are needed before Monday....please help stop more houses being built on 'our hill'.

Hey up geo once you could not even go metal detecting up there now they building? somethings not right :suspect:

Like a lot of people at that time Grandad never spoke at all really about work or past years . He retired when I was 5 in 1949 . Its a shame I never asked him about the past; he would have had lots of tales to tell.

My Granfather also worked at the gas works, he worked there well past age 65 must have been the late fifties when he finished. I remember we used to meet sometimes outside Lem`s shop as he would be catching the bus back to Pitsmoor.

Hi flyer, can you remember where you visited them and when, and any sisters names?

very hard being as i was put in fullwood homes from 40-46 i've tried to search out Sheffield Clarkes but so many, the only place i remember visiting was one of dads sisters lived on that two?? house st(slack something)?? across from the Barrack tavern on Penistone rd must have been all of 3-4 mother use to send me up with a goodie bag from our shop at 511 Penistone remember my mother saying cousin Percy was drown swiming in the Don but had to be early 30s the other relations not got the faintest what part of Sheffield they lived I'm pretty sure one of the sisters came from or lived in Doncaster

Another Grimesthorpian passed away dads older sister Gladys Sharrock nee Clarke..

Really sorry to hear about Gladys, we only came back from holiday yesterday and just catching up and read it, I've let Mum know and will tell my Nan tomorrow. Can you let us know when funeral is please, I'm friends with your Mum on facebook if you can message me on there cos I go on there everyday, cheers x

Hi Pigeon, Sorry to here about Gladys, give her family my condolences please.

Hi Flyer, Have you done anything to try and trace your ancestry, although I haven't got very far with ours, due to the uncertainty of how Grandad spelt his name with or without the e. I do know we orginated in Rotherham, and after he married Grandma his family had nothing to do with him. There ia also a Clarke that lives in the same yard as my mum and he is no relation to us at all.

Hi Flyer, Have you done anything to try and trace your ancestry, although I haven't got very far with ours, due to the uncertainty of how Grandad spelt his name with or without the e. I do know we orginated in Rotherham, and after he married Grandma his family had nothing to do with him. There ia also a Clarke that lives in the same yard as my mum and he is no relation to us at all.

No I gave up far too many Clarkes allthough my father Fred Clarke lived at 511 Penistone rd from pre war to when those house's came down,now my mothers side was easy Fullylove& harden's not a lot of them around, as i said know dad had family in Sheffield but I remember my mother saying when they got married they moved in with sister in Doncaster, that was 1930, traced the wedding Fred Clarke to Florence Harding Doncaster 1930 that was as far as I got

Yes, found out how to do it and have written my password down now. I am going to try and name the ones on the Owler Lane Picture that you could not remember.I think I left Grimesthorpe too young to remember anyone on the forum. Peter Suter? Joanie Clegg? Pauline Marshall? Irene Carless? Frankie Brown? Jennifer Suter? Lawrence Suter and later his wife Pat(nee Baker)from Stradbroke.Barbara Sorby is another one.

Hi Tara Misu, could you answer a few questions for me please? I remember the name Warrender. I lived at no. 5 Adsetts street and noted that you lived at no.27. Were you in the yard opposite Suters Shop, next to the steelworks on Adsetts Street? I have noted that you traced a relative living at Grimesthorpe in 1841. Would you know when Adsetts Street was built as I have always wondered?

Where can I find the 'photo you refer to as I remember Irene Carless who lived opposite me. I have commented to you in the past about her.

Regards, Peter.