Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi Alan, glad it wasn't true. Strange the lad should have told me a story like that.

I remember seeing a 'photo of Albert Parr outside the Victoria Hotel on 'picturesheffield'. Can't find it today but a lot of the old Grimesthorpe pics. have been removed now for some reason.

My parents moved in to 5 Adsetts Street opposite the Vic. in 1938. I spent my childhood there from 1943 until we had to move out in 1957 for a bigger house up Shiregreen. I used to wash the Vic. landlord's ( I new him as Mr. Deakin) car on a Saturday morning for half a crown in the early '50s , couldn't believe the high rate of pay! One of the old pensioners in the pub yard was quite miffed :hihi:

Have you seen my post yesterday on Gillotts Bread?

Regards, Peter.

Peter R

I do not recall this incident at all and I lived opposite the bus stop next to the Crown Inn. On a brighter note though I do remember Albert parr catching the bus there, no one would know he was cheating as Carlisle Street East was all works he would then alight at Upwell St which helped him gain a bit of ground.

regards Alan

There are some super 1926 aerial pictures of the grimesthorpe area around skelwith road, holywell road, birdwell road on this site, just type in the search "grimesthorpe gas works".

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk

Hi Walt, Super pics. and easy to orientate, thanks for putting them on! If the wind had blown the aircraft a little more towards Upwell Street and Carlisle Street East I would have seen my home on Adsetts Street :hihi:

Regards, Peter.

There are some super 1926 aerial pictures of the grimesthorpe area around skelwith road, holywell road, birdwell road on this site, just type in the search "grimesthorpe gas works".

Another Grimesthorpian passed away dads older sister Gladys Sharrock nee Clarke..

It's interesting to note on these photos that Holywell Road finishes at the corner of Rothay Road, the stretch to Brightside didn't exist.

It's interesting to note on these photos that Holywell Road finishes at the corner of Rothay Road, the stretch to Brightside didn't exist.

Yes, my grandma's house at 43 Rothay Rd is the middle one of the block of 3 houses that can be seen on the top side of Rothay Rd nearest to Holywell Rd. They moved into that house in May 1924 when grandad got a job at the gasworks there.

Really interesting photos of that area; thanks.

Another Grimesthorpe passed away dads older sister Gladys Sharrock nee Clarke..

Hi pigeon, sorry to hear that, do you know when and where the funeral is?

Iv just been reading a book written by my nans cousin called Recollections of grimesthorpe and beyond by Alan Billiam.A very intresting read of memories of the area for the thoughs that grew up in the area.

Hello Jimmy1975. I've been speaking to Alan Billam and he asks if you can enlighten him who your Nan is please? If you or your Nan would prefer to talk to him, his phone number is: 01522 811177.

Good photos Mick, more like the Grimesthorpe and Brightside we remember from our younger days.

Yes, my grandma's house at 43 Rothay Rd is the middle one of the block of 3 houses that can be seen on the top side of Rothay Rd nearest to Holywell Rd. They moved into that house in May 1924 when grandad got a job at the gasworks there.

Really interesting photos of that area; thanks.

Hello John. I wonder if your Grandad knew and mentioned Walt Bannister. He lived on Birdwell Road and worked at the gasworks for many years?

Another Grimesthorpian passed away dads older sister Gladys Sharrock nee Clarke..

As i said or tried to, one of my relations maybe, a lot of Clarkes around, remember visiting them about 37 dad had alot of sisters plus my Grandad Clarke was still in Sheffield at that time(34/35/37)

Hi Walt, my dad always referred to Holywell Rd (passed Rothay Rd) as 'the new road' so I suppose it was built when he was young.