Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

come on frank it's petre st not petra call yourself a milk man.:hihi:

UP'S A DAISY. Not anymore just drink it.

Apparently there used to be a Grimesthorpe Bridge Railway Station.

Does anyone know where it was, or anything about it ?

Grimesthorpe bridge station was a temporary station on the Sheffield and Rotherham railway. Apparently this was in 1843, but it was only in use for about three months while different parts of the line were being built/extended .

Grimesthorpe bridge station was a temporary station on the Sheffield and Rotherham railway. Apparently this was in 1843, but it was only in use for about three months while different parts of the line were being built/extended .

The location was at Grimesthorpe Junction. Which I think is near near the Upwell St Bridge.

Grimesthorpe Junction 1904. The old station must have been buried under all these tracks.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/rh200/NewhallRoad.jpg

Walt. On this next map you can see the line running into your Dad's coal yard.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/rh200/NewhalltoUpwellSreet.jpg

Grimesthorpe Junction 1904. The old station must have been buried under all these tracks.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/rh200/NewhallRoad.jpg

Walt. On this next map you can see the line running into your Dad's coal yard.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/rh200/NewhalltoUpwellSreet.jpg

The first photo, is of Cardigan Sidings, the line went on towards town and terminated at Wicker Goods, where Tesco is now. Going the other way it went on to Rotherham, terminating near where the police station is now.

Sheffield to Rotherham Railway, opened Nov 1838, from Wicker Goods Yard to Rotherham, journey time 17 mins. No stations in between until Grimesthorpe Bridge opened not long after, which closed in 1843.

The first photo, is of Cardigan Sidings, the line went on towards town and terminated at Wicker Goods, where Tesco is now. Going the other way it went on to Rotherham, terminating near where the police station is now.

Thanks for the info George. There's another station on the first map which I didn't know existed. In the bottom left hand corner, you can see the words Goods Station. It was just off Stevenson Road on land now occupied by scrap yards.

There's another station on the first map which I didn't know existed. In the bottom left hand corner, you can see the words Goods Station. It was just off Stevenson Road on land now occupied by scrap yards.

I think that's where the coalmen used to bag their coal from the railway carriages Ralph, before Burnette and Hallamshire opened a big complex somewhere around the bottom of Duke St with hoppers to fill the bags instead of having to shovel it, but I could be wrong.

I think that's where the coalmen used to bag their coal from the railway carriages Ralph, before Burnette and Hallamshire opened a big complex somewhere around the bottom of Duke St with hoppers to fill the bags instead of having to shovel it, but I could be wrong.

The goods yard on Stevenson Road was where my dad collected his coal from the railway wagons after Upwell Street Wharf shut to coal merchants around 1965.

Skippy, the Burnett & Hallamshire place was just off Bernard Road. ( the entrance was between where Bernard Road goes over the parkway and under the railway). We used to fetch smokeless fuel from the hoppers there.

Thanks for the info George. There's another station on the first map which I didn't know existed. In the bottom left hand corner, you can see the words Goods Station. It was just off Stevenson Road on land now occupied by scrap yards.

That's right, Attercliffe Goods Yard, I used to maintain the cranes there, also Tommy George, and his sons had their scrap buisness there

tommy george used to keep pigeons on the tip on cyclops st in the 50s

tommy george used to keep pigeons on the tip on cyclops st in the 50s

yep, thats him.