Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Yes Dave the one on the back row is called Smith.

Here is another photo taken the same day

BallInLadsparachute.jpg

ooh this gave me a chuckle, wonder if Whitto has seen it? I'll have to put it on facebook for people to look so they can take the mickey out of him for a change lol x

well done janie m you have chosen a good and rewarding career

Thank you, although it doesn't seem like it most of the time. I'm a week back at work from holiday and it already feels like it was months ago :( x

Didn't go to Reform Chapel but what is a Lord Wharton's Bible?

Phillip, 4th Baron Wharton lived 1613-1696 & was a famous Parliamentarian in the English Civil War. In his will he left land near York to support a charity which was devoted to the distribution of bibles to children for use outside of the school or church. The terms of the will required the recipient to learn by rote the 1st, 15th, 25th, 37th, 101st, 113th & 145th Psalms.

So I guess these were distributed through churches who gave them as prizes in this case. I went to Reform Chapel from about 1949 until moving out of Sheffield in 1976 & have no memory of them being given out during my time there although do recall seeing them somewhere. Does anyone else remember them at Reform Chapel?

Edited by johnpm

Phillip, 4th Baron Wharton lived 1613-1696 & was a famous Parliamentarian in the English Civil War. In his will he left land near York to support a charity which was devoted to the distribution of bibles to children for use outside of the school or church. The terms of the will required the recipient to learn by rote the 1st, 15th, 25th, 37th, 101st, 113th & 145th Psalms.

So I guess these were distributed through churches who gave them as prizes in this case. I went to Reform Chapel from about 1949 until moving out of Sheffield in 1976 & have no memory of them being given out during my time there although do recall seeing them somewhere. Does anyone else remember them at Reform Chapel?

I would occasionally go to Reform chapel Sunday School with the Farmer girls all I can remember is having to learn a verse from the bible and if you attended chapel you received a bible picture stamp to stick on your attendance card.

hiya one and all can anyone remember the old lady that lived at i think no 18 or 20 cyclops st in the 50s we thought she was a witch when we were kids and ran past her door bye

Thank you for the info. A lot of verses to learn!!

I don't remember them either John. I wonder when wigglybus attended the Reform Chapel :confused:

I would occasionally go to Reform chapel Sunday School with the Farmer girls all I can remember is having to learn a verse from the bible and if you attended chapel you received a bible picture stamp to stick on your attendance card.

I don't remember the attendance cards or the bible pictures either Chris. I remember that we used to have an awards night round about Pancake Day, where we would receive books as prizes for attending Sunday School, then we would go into the Church Hall and watch The Woody WoodPecker film as a special treat. :hihi:

I don't remember the attendance cards or the bible pictures either Chris. I remember that we used to have an awards night round about Pancake Day, where we would receive books as prizes for attending Sunday School, then we would go into the Church Hall and watch The Woody WoodPecker film as a special treat. :hihi:

We had Prizegiving around the same time I think, at Grimesthorpe Rd. Meths. Did you have SS Anniversary when you learned special hymns and stood on a platform, everyone wearing white? That's when our SS queen was crowned as well.

Hi johnpm - Around the mid forties at the 'Reform' I do remember a bible that was awarded if you could recite certain passages, the idea was that you learned and memorised the passage or a psalm at home and then sat down with Miss Lynch or the caretaker (also a teacher) at Sunday School, if you were able to repeat these, after a period of time you would be given the bible. The bible had a name but don't recall the name that's mentioned here.

You've got it Fleetwood!

If you went to Sunday school (even if you don't remember the Lord Wharton's), do you remember the Methodist Scripture exams? I think they were held at the Montgomery Hall in town and if you passed you got a prize. Can't imagine the youngsters doing anything like this now!

We had Prizegiving around the same time I think, at Grimesthorpe Rd. Meths. Did you have SS Anniversary when you learned special hymns and stood on a platform, everyone wearing white? That's when our SS queen was crowned as well.

Hi CornishRose, Yes, Reform Chapel had so called "Sunday School Anniversary Sermons" too. These were held on 2 sundays in May each year with services in afternoon & evening on both days. As well as children there was an adult choir of about 30 people.

When I was young in the 1950's & 1960's , on the first day there was also a small orchestra of violins etc. After the final service all children were given a sweet as we came off the platform.

I remember that us kids who went to morning sunday school used to go round other Churches Sunday School Anniversaries & write reports on them for our Church Mag !

The Sermons at Reform Chapel amazingly carried on until 1999.

The Sunday School Queen was crowned at a separate event held by The Girls Brigade.

Edited by johnpm