Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi George, Robert used to live in next yard to me, next door to my cousin, Tony Atkinson, if I remember correctly, he passed away in the 70s, he was a year younger than me, (I think), I do know how and where he died, but don't think it wold be correct to post it.

I'm Roberts brother, he died 12 march 1976, he was 24, we all still talk about him, well the three that are left Janet, Joy and me the youngest Ian do, I was only 13 when he died, top lad, wish he had been around to see Wednesday have some good times like I have, he would have loved getting one over United at Wembley circa 1993

Can anyone tell me exactly where Gledall's greengrocers was?

I thought it was either on the corner of Grimesthorpe Rd and Margate Street or halfway between Margate Street and Botham Street:

Rumour had it that Mr. Gledall used to crop puppies tails and then someone told me, I think it was Pip Harker, that he used to bite 'em off:

Gledalls shop was at the top of Grimesthorpe actually on Grimesthorpe Road nearly opposite the fields on the right hand side going up .T.he house backed onto cyclops street. Mrs Gledall ran the greengrocery shop and Mr Gledall and his sons kept pigs at the bottom of that field

Gledalls shop was at the top of Grimesthorpe actually on Grimesthorpe Road nearly opposite the fields on the right hand side going up .T.he house backed onto cyclops street. Mrs Gledall ran the greengrocery shop and Mr Gledall and his sons kept pigs at the bottom of that field

I lived on cyclops st, & if i remember? the gledalls shop was on the left hand side going up grimesthorp rd about 5-6 house's from the Dawson's & faching the law's & the toyn's our backs fach't there backs. I was the milk man at that time.

If anyone has a copy of the bookmark produced by Alan Billam (author of the book on Recollections of Grimesthorpe) The picture of the street party after the war was over, actually was in Gledalls yard which backed onto the yards of the houses in Cyclops street. Some names from that photo Doreen and Betty Thompson, Jean and Rita Thompson, Sylvia Dawson, Kath and Geoff Bingley, Vic Toyne, Pat Boulby, Peggy and Mavis Parnell. Is anyone ancient enough to remember anybody on the photo?

I'm ancient enough to remember some of the people ,the Thompson girls & the Parnell's I haven't seen the picture, but as I remember Gledall's shop was on the left side going up.Can anyone remember the day trips to Blackpool illumination.My mum was a friend of Florrie Thompson they used to go out together. Jean J

If anyone has a copy of the bookmark produced by Alan Billam (author of the book on Recollections of Grimesthorpe) The picture of the street party after the war was over, actually was in Gledalls yard which backed onto the yards of the houses in Cyclops street. Some names from that photo Doreen and Betty Thompson, Jean and Rita Thompson, Sylvia Dawson, Kath and Geoff Bingley, Vic Toyne, Pat Boulby, Peggy and Mavis Parnell. Is anyone ancient enough to remember anybody on the photo?

Sorry to say i havent seen the book or the photo in Alan's (Recollections of Grimesthorp), the Billam's back was direclly faching ours,& yes i knew all of those names you mentioned, most of them being milk customy's of Oldfield's.

Hey Granny,

Thanx for the speedy reply:

Did you know the Harkers, The Williams's and or The Worships?

Cheers,

Phil Pryor

Sorry to say i havent seen the book or the photo in Alan's (Recollections of Grimesthorp), the Billam's back was direclly faching ours,& yes i knew all of those names you mentioned, most of them being milk customy's of Oldfield's.

Sounds like you lived on Cyclopse Street:

Do You remember Philip ( Pip ) Harker ? I think his Dad's name was Brin:

He had a sister whose name escapes me but she was very pretty and a subject of many schoolboy fantasies:

Or The Worships, who lived close to Gleddalls and Trevor Williams ?

I'm ancient enough to remember some of the people ,the Thompson girls & the Parnell's I haven't seen the picture, but as I remember Gledall's shop was on the left side going up.Can anyone remember the day trips to Blackpool illumination.My mum was a friend of Florrie Thompson they used to go out together. Jean J

DO you mean the Farnells? went to school with Peter Farnell of Cyclops street .

Hi Grimesthorpe, just phoned my uncle who is a friend of Alan Billams and keeps in touch with him on a regular basis. The book is progressing but is not published as yet. Alan is funding it himself and therefore progress is hampered. Yes I recall all the names you mentioned but I actually lived on Botham Street North but spent a lot of my time at my Grandmas (Bingleys) on Grimesthorpe Road. I remember Mrs Thompson's trips as I was a good friend of Jean and Rita. Jean being a bridesmaid at my wedding.

Hi Tonio, The other photo at the moment I can only think of a couple of names, sat by me is Pat Dudley (she lived on Crown Hill) next to her is I thnk Anne Fairweather. There was Carol Gibbs, Veronica? . next to Fred Tanzer is Linda Billingham. The Gloria that JeanJ is thinking of her surname was Roe.

Hi, is this photo on here?

I think a relative of mine is on it, it would be interesting to see.

Thanks

Jane