Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Here's our BB company outside where we stayed at St. Helier,Jersey in 1957

jersey1957.jpg

Names I have are left - right : front Joe Cooper & John Bennett;

next row up : Barrie Reynolds, Peter Webster, Me (John Moore), Keith Wild, Leonard Foster, Geoff Cottam;

next row up, Charlie Wise, Ian Reynolds, Tommy Fisher, Mick Furniss, Graham Wells;

next to top row : ?, Derek Tingle.

top row: : ? , Tony Walton , Harry Jarvis

John

Edited by johnpm

Hi Cat,

Ian Pinhorn was a friend of mine largely because we lived nearby - me at 97 Hinde House Lane - he was around no 121. His dad had been captain of the Reform Chapel football team and I think its because of those contacts Ian went to Reform Chapel.

Talking about the Chapel football team here it is about 1950 :

churchbbfootballteam1950ish.jpg

front row Terry Wilson, Alan Stanley, Harry Pinhorn, Derek Onions, Charlie Wise; back row Gordon Kay, ?, Jim Moore (my dad), Ken Hanwell, Les Cusworth & Bill Hargreaves (trainer).

Charlie Wise was a professional foorballer at Notts County for a short while (reserves I think) and also had trials for Yorkshire at cricket. He apparently gave up his football job because he didn't agree with all the gambling that went on travelling to and from games.

John

Edited by johnpm

Just got got back from hols, and i am well watered, but wish we could go in ther for one, what memories eh:hihi:

we'res tha been nah.hope you enjoyed it anyway.:thumbsup:

Hello John.

I think the two extreme left and right are the Reynolds brothers but don't know the others. In one of your earlier posts you mentioned the name Pinhorn, I went to school with a lad called Ian Pinhorn. Not sure if it was only at Owler Lane Infants or Grimesthorpe too. Did you know him?

The two girls on top row are Margaret Eades on the left and Janet Brewin on the right.

Here's a pic of them in GLB uniform outside Backdoor of 24 Moss St about 1956.

img228a.jpg

six years before i was born and seem to remember the face on the right?

Hello Wigglybus and welcome to the Grimesthorpe thread. Miss Hanson was my music teacher in the mid fifties. I read somewhere that she was the longest serving teacher at Grimesthorpe School, forty years.

This is the link to the last page of Part One of the Grimesthorpe Thread. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107518&page=360

Hi Cat,, We had nicknames for a lot of the teachers, ie Benny MR Hill [ Woodwork]. DAN was Mr Godfrey. Stan Stan the womans man, was Mr Francis. Can you remember Miss Hansons nickname ? SEE YOU SOON.

Bagley Dyke, part 400 and something.

Looking across Owler Lane, T’ Dyke runs under the front gardens of the houses to the left of centre, they are on the junction of Popple Street, Owler Lane and Dunmow Road. Don Smith, an officer in the 21st. St. Thomas’s Boys Brigade, lived in one of these houses. The houses to the right are on Dunmow Road.

DSCN6572.jpg

Grimesthorpe Colliery was behind the houses on the corner of Dunmow Road and Owler Lane in the area now occupied by mature trees. Wincobank Hill is in the distance.

DSCN6570.jpg

The colliery was a drift mine, there were no vertical shafts. Instead, a sloping tunnel (drift) headed under Owler Lane and down to the coal seams. (On the map, the drift is to the left of the engine house). These tunnels would have linked to other workings, mined from another entrance near Grimesthorpe School. (Note the tramway disappearing off the top of the map).

GrimesthorpeColliery-1.jpg

GrimesthorpeSchool-1.jpg

> Grimesthorpecollierynearschool.jpg

Jeanj’s mother remembered the pit entrance being near the old quarry, opposite the top of Upwell Hill. The quarry is now full of trees.

upwellquarry.jpg

The waste or spoil from the mining operations had to be got rid of and was transported in wagons up a tramway then tipped on Wincobank Hill. The tramway on the next map is the continuation from the colliery map. The inverted heart shape is the pit tip and the engine house, housed a steam engine to haul the full tubs up the tramway.

Grimesthorpepittip-1.jpg

Hinde House Lane is on the left of the map.

Grimesthorpe Colliery commenced operations in the 1870s but couldn’t have been very profitable and was closed by 1900.

Years later, this spoil heap came to be known as The Grey Hills. I do not exaggerate when I say, Wincobank Hill is almost unrecognisable from when we were kids. Perhaps for the better, it is now almost covered with many trees of differing varieties.....and dog sh*t.

The only clue to the site of the grey hills is a small grey area on this footpath.

DSCN6562.jpg

The next path follows the ridge of Wincobank Hill passing the site of a concrete, wartime searchlight stand and up to the site of the gun stand, both have been demolished.

DSCN6564.jpg

On top of Wincobank Hill, part of the ancient hill fort can still be defined but I couldn’t find the site of the old gun stand. The football pitches are no longer used and gradually reverting to nature

DSCN6545.jpg

DSCN6541.jpg

DSCN6549.jpg

DSCN6560.jpg

Meanwhile, back at The Dyke!!!

From the old pit yard, T’ Dyke runs parallel with Owler lane for a few yards under the front of the prefabs in this 1952 photo

Lifeboysabt1952.jpg

The same view in 2009.

DSCN6573.jpg

Then turns across the bottom of Wensley Street and under the gap between the houses into what was P.O. Middleton’s haulage yard.

DSCN6185.jpg

DSCN6576.jpg

Another similar view from 1952 with The Reform Chapel parade, probably heading to Firth Park for The Whit Sing

whitwalk1952.jpg

DSCN6577.jpg

Bagley Dyke is about to make it’s grand entrance into the light of day at the back of here, what used to be, Stenton’s Sweets and tobacco shop.

DSCN6186-1.jpg

Thanks to John Moore for the use of his photos.

To be continued, I'm off to the pub!!!

Hello Cat.

Fascinated with your photos of the Dyke and Grimesthorpe Colliery. I knew the Dyke well and used to play on the quarry ground at the top of Upwell Hill sixty years ago but never knew about the colliery entrance.Also used to roam

all over Wincobank Hill but wouldn't recognise it now. Still great to see the pictures.

Hi Cat,, We had nicknames for a lot of the teachers, ie Benny MR Hill [ Woodwork]. DAN was Mr Godfrey. Stan Stan the womans man, was Mr Francis. Can you remember Miss Hansons nickname ? SEE YOU SOON.

Hello Dave, I don't remember a nick name for Miss Hanson but remember 'Doc' Rotherham at Owler Lane. Our woodwork classes in the old chapel on Rushby Street with 'Benny' Hills were the highlite of the week for me. I shared a work bench with Alligin and at the end of each lesson we had to clean up before going home, my job was to take any big things to the store cupboard while Roger swept the bench. He always cleaned up in double quick time, finishing long before the rest of 'em. Then I caught him one day sweeping up all the sawdust and shavings and hiding it under the tool stand.

The old chapel is still there and is now a washing machine repair place.

Did anyone guess. 'Dan' Godfrey in the photo?

Just thought of another, 'Paddy Ruttle'.

Edited by cat631

johnpm, in an earlier post you mention Joe & Pam Cooper Pams maiden wouldn,t be Hill would it?if so,I went to school with her older sister June.Joe was in my class at owler lane.cat put the class photo 57/58 on the forum for me on the first part of ( Anyone from Grimesthorpe) post 306 6115.

wigglybus, I was at Grimesthorpe school about 1950,I also had a short spell in GB at the Reform chapel I remember mrs Yates & miss Mariot. The Reynold brothers lived over the wall from my grans garden, she lived on Upwell hill, the Websters lived in the same yard as the Reynolds, Mavis Webster used to sing solo on the sermons,I used to be one of the girls that sat on the tiered platform. Jean J.

hi my dad lived in grimesthorpe his name is gary lillford anyone rember him hes 57

johnpm, in an earlier post you mention Joe & Pam Cooper Pams maiden wouldn,t be Hill would it?if so,I went to school with her older sister June.Joe was in my class at owler lane.cat put the class photo 57/58 on the forum for me on the first part of ( Anyone from Grimesthorpe) post 306 6115.

wigglybus, I was at Grimesthorpe school about 1950,I also had a short spell in GB at the Reform chapel I remember mrs Yates & miss Mariot. The Reynold brothers lived over the wall from my grans garden, she lived on Upwell hill, the Websters lived in the same yard as the Reynolds, Mavis Webster used to sing solo on the sermons,I used to be one of the girls that sat on the tiered platform. Jean J.

Jean J, Not sure about Pam Cooper's maiden name - it may have been Hill. Will try to find out.

John

The two girls on top row are Margaret Eades on the left and Janet Brewin on the right.

Here's a pic of them in GLB uniform outside Backdoor of 24 Moss St about 1956.

img228a.jpg

Hi Pigeon,would that be the bottom yard on the right,seem to recognise the windows.sheila

Hi Pigeon,would that be the bottom yard on the right,seem to recognise the windows.sheila

yes janet lived next door...