Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

no defininately the lodge,forge was corner of newhall/don rd.it was bang next door to monogram.sheila

yes your right sheila, thanks for correcting me

yes your right sheila, thanks for correcting me

walked past it thousands of times in 60s frank coming from tony's.:thumbsup:

had a pint in ball then walked up past dyke to Bowling Green pub its been renovated anybody know what its going to end up as?

Edited by pigeon
missed a word out

Come on now Bantambuddy

Does it really count as guessing someone's name

if you post AFTER they have told us :hihi:

I think not!!!!

:hihi::hihi:

Ah but i guessed from the clues on reading the post so did not come to the naming bit before I guessed :P:nod: So in my book that counts

Come on now Bantambuddy

Does it really count as guessing someone's name

if you post AFTER they have told us :hihi:

I think not!!!!

:hihi::hihi:

I'm with you there NettieJ he hasn't exactly said after which clue he guessed my ID I had to go back to all his posts to fathom his ID

Hi Christine,

I have sent you a pm

Have at last got round to replying to your pm

Just discovered this site so hope you won't mind if I join in now and then.

I was at Grimesthorpe school in 1943- in Miss Hanson's class.She was a good teacher though I thought a bit of a martinet.

My social life centered around the Reform Chapel and the Girls'Life Brigade - it was known as the naughty ninth in my day but we had some wonderful times especially when we went to camp at Matlock. Oh those midnight feasts! Miss Codrington was the captain and Miss Lynch her lieutenant.

Mrs Yates was mentioned. Her husband was the Superintendent of the Sunday School and Mrs Yates ran the Young Ladies' Bible Class in the upstairs room of the schoolroom.

Does anyone remember the Saturday night pea and pie suppers?

Hello Wigglybus and welcome to the Grimesthorpe thread. Miss Hanson was my music teacher in the mid fifties. I read somewhere that she was the longest serving teacher at Grimesthorpe School, forty years.

This is the link to the last page of Part One of the Grimesthorpe Thread. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107518&page=360

Edited by cat631

I was at Grimesthorpe school in 1943- in Miss Hanson's class.She was a good teacher though I thought a bit of a martinet.

My social life centered around the Reform Chapel and the Girls'Life Brigade - it was known as the naughty ninth in my day but we had some wonderful times especially when we went to camp at Matlock. Oh those midnight feasts! Miss Codrington was the captain and Miss Lynch her lieutenant.

Mrs Yates was mentioned. Her husband was the Superintendent of the Sunday School and Mrs Yates ran the Young Ladies' Bible Class in the upstairs room of the schoolroom.

Hi wigglybus,

I wonder if I knew you as I went to the Reform Chapel. I started in the Life Boys in 1955/56 and went right though the BB, even became an officer before I married and left the area in the early 70s. I went to Sunday School there and to the evening service and then to the youth club after the service. I took part in the shows and pantos we put on for the OAPs at Christmas. I can only remember going to one of the pie and pea suppers tho'. The last time I was there was in March 2007 for the 75th anniversary reunion of the 53rd BB Company.

Hi Wigglybus, I was born 1944 & spent a great deal of time at Reform Chapel in Life Boys ( joined about 2 years before The Miller) , BB ( boy & Officer) , Sunday School, Youth Club etc. Also at Grimesthorpe School. You will know my mum and dad, Madge & Jim and Uncle Ken well. Left Sheffield in 1976.

Do you know who I am?

Out of interest, Mr Yates was BB Captain before Charlie Wise. Miss Lynch died only about a year ago aged about 96 I think.

You will remember Janet Brewin from GB I think - her husband Tony comes on this site sometimes.

Les & Bessie Cusworth,Renee Marriott , Gordon & Janet Kay & Joe & Pam Cooper all still go to Reform Chapel.

Very sad news recently was the death of Ian Reynolds earlier this year.

John

Edited by johnpm

Hi wigglybus,

I wonder if I knew you as I went to the Reform Chapel. I started in the Life Boys in 1955/56 and went right though the BB, even became an officer before I married and left the area in the early 70s. I went to Sunday School there and to the evening service and then to the youth club after the service. I took part in the shows and pantos we put on for the OAPs at Christmas. I can only remember going to one of the pie and pea suppers tho'. The last time I was there was in March 2007 for the 75th anniversary reunion of the 53rd BB Company.

Hello The Miller.

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I must have just missed you as I left Sheffield in 1953 but I remember the pantos too. They were great. It's amazing what costumes you could make with some blackout material and

coloured bias binding. Who produced the pantos in your day? If I remember right it was Mr Walkington? in mine. He also conducted the anniversary sermons. The girls all wore white frocks (even if only borrowed) and we sat

on a tiered platform.It's a wonder nobody ever fell off because it was as high as the balcony.

Hello Johnpm

It's really nice to hear from you.Can't quite place you but as I am a good ten years older than you, you would have been only nine or ten when I left Sheffield. I knew the Marriott family well, Renee,Joan and Geoff. They lived almost next to Grimesthorpe school if I remember right. Renee and Joan were stalwarts of the GLB and tried in vain to keep our gang in order. Sorry to hear about Miss Lynch. She was a lovely person. Geoff was in the BB and was so handsome, all the girls chased him, even more so when he joined the RAF and came home in his uniform.I remember Les Cusworth, not sure about the others though. It's a long time ago and the memory is a bit rusty but just talking about those days brings back happy memories.