Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

morning trev/dors,other two newhall rd and attercliffe rd near worksop rd.hope you enjoyed them thought you'd like to frame them.sunk a few in whoker eh trev.:love:sheila xx

The pics are great Sheila, I'm going to send them to my sons and daughter to give them an idea of where they came from. They will not even be able to imagine what life would be like there. They find it really hard to believe it when we tell them that growing up in Grimey was fantastic, but life is what you make it wherever you are.

Dors.

Hi Nettie

Flo has helped me out there I ought to have guessed. Does Doyle live near me now?

Hi Christine,

I have sent you a pm

Vividly. I have a photograph somewhere of a Circle outing to Bakewell, it's in the park by the swings and has about 10 children on it with Mrs Watson. We loved the graveyard there too! Do you remember rehearsing in the Guild Room for a show that I don't think ever actually happened? Songs from the Sound of Music and I seem to remember "Put on a Happy Face"! We must have been about 11?

I have so many good memories from when we went to the Circle the list would be really long but yes we did rehearse for a show - one of many I seem to recall. we were so enthusiatic and I can still hear one of Mrs Watson's many catch phrases in her Scottish accent "be quiet gerels the bootchers underneath".

My memories include the annual trips to Cleethorpes with tea at the Winter Gardens, singing the Rainbow Flag, the wind up record player and mixing bulb fibre in the kitchen sink to plant hyacinth bulbs every year---and I could go on and on.

The pics are great Sheila, I'm going to send them to my sons and daughter to give them an idea of where they came from. They will not even be able to imagine what life would be like there. They find it really hard to believe it when we tell them that growing up in Grimey was fantastic, but life is what you make it wherever you are.

Dors.

hi doreen,thought you'd like the botham st one bet minniej liked it even better it was our watering hole.

sorry for delay getting back to you got a streaming cold and felt rubbish last few days.:love:sheilaxx

Finally got back to reading the thread up to the new part.

Thanks Keith for the story I remember going to the Adlephi at the end of Newhall Road on Saturday mornings and the Sunbeam (I Think) on Attercliffe road next to Sid ? bike spares shop with the yo-yo competitions.Attercliffe baths saturday mornings and walking home then getting a clip from me dad for being late back for dinner.

Nettie i'll be interested to find out about Hawkshead Boys memories don't think there be anything juicy :evil:

Doyle it was a pleasure not seen you in the village anytime you need a lift to or from a reunion just shout

Weer Did All t’ Watter Come From? Part Two.

One morning as Roger Fowler and I ran down Little Lane on our way to Grimesthorpe School, we could hear a terrible roar. Was it The bogey men? No, ‘t was t’ Dyke in full flood after a night of heavy rain.

It must have been Roger’s turn to pee in it and just as he climbed on the wall, the much bigger opposite wall collapsed into the raging torrent below. Assuming we would be blamed and a fate worse than bogey men awaited, we ran away and didn’t stop ‘til we got to school. For a few weeks after this incedent we went to school via Chambers Lane and kept our secret until today.

So, after all this excitement, weer does all t’ watter come from? It comes from roundabouts here.

DSCN6454.jpg

Longley Park Swimming Pool.

Just think, many of us could have been swimming in mucky dyke watter without realising it. Longley Swimming Pool is long gone and the next few photos show the area as it is now.

DSCN6065.jpg

DSCN6066.jpg

LBaths-1.jpg

Bagley Dyke begins in Longley Park. Rainwater soaks from the high ground of the park and many years ago springs formed a pond where eventually the swimming pool was excavated. After heavy rain, a pool of water still collects in the same area.

dog_enjoying_flooded_path_pond-1.jpg

longley_bathsjpg2.jpg

I don’t know if any of the spring water was used to top-up the swimming pool, if it did, I’m sure it must have passed through a refridgeration unit. On the sunniest and hottest of days, the water was always icy cold.

There is nothing left to give even a hint of what was once there save for a manhole cover that marks the beginning of Bagley Dyke’s journey to Grimesthorpe.

first2manholes-1.jpg

To Be Continued.

Cat Not only did I do the same peeing but some of mine originated from the swimming pool at Longley as had no option when you jumped into the freezing water it just started and you couln't stop it. Probably drank a few gallons of the stuff in my time.

Finally got back to reading the thread up to the new part.

Thanks Keith for the story I remember going to the Adlephi at the end of Newhall Road on Saturday mornings and the Sunbeam (I Think) on Attercliffe road next to Sid ? bike spares shop with the yo-yo competitions.Attercliffe baths saturday mornings and walking home then getting a clip from me dad for being late back for dinner.

Nettie i'll be interested to find out about Hawkshead Boys memories don't think there be anything juicy :evil:

Doyle it was a pleasure not seen you in the village anytime you need a lift to or from a reunion just shout

hi bantumbuddy,

hi bantumbuddy,

sorry about that i'll hit the right button one day.don't think the pictures was the sunbeam.think it could be pavillion down near broughton lane.sheila

By the way geotom you would have known me by the surname Butler not changed the initial hence CBB

Welcome to the thread CeeBeeBee I finally guessed someone on the thread

sorry about that i'll hit the right button one day.don't think the pictures was the sunbeam.think it could be pavillion down near broughton lane.sheila

Yes it was not the Sunbeam, as someone mentioned in earlier post this was next to the Cannon Hall at Firvale, maybe you're right about the Pavilion on Attercliffe Road http://cinematreasures.org/theater/25760/. They used to have what would now be described as music videos, I fell in love with Susan Maughan and would go back ever week incase they showed her film.

Edited by Bantambuddy