--- hi shelia,

thanks for you reply- i have just seen it going through the treads,

i sometimes get behind.

and i named you sue instead of shelia.

your old next door neighbour peter knowels that live on cyclops st

lived on vickers rd age 67yrs.

the funeral was at city rd on jan 15th, but i was surprise there wasn`t

any responce from around.

i went to the funeral and keith catling and wife among others.

p.s hope your keeping well, do you ever miss them good old days in -

crown and who-can-tell and downing them pints of ale.

bye.

certainly do miss those days brian,good times.

Looking forward to 12th March.

Having remembered my Grandad telling me about a Zeppelin raid on Sheffield in the first world war and about 50 years ago visiting the memorial with him to the dead on Effingham Road, i've found a website:

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffieldsfirstraid1916.htm

which is in depth to say the least. It also mentions roads off Petre Street which were affected and 'Cossey Road' still exists today, being off Forncett Street which runs parallel to Carlisle Street East. Hope its of some interest.

Having remembered my Grandad telling me about a Zeppelin raid on Sheffield in the first world war and about 50 years ago visiting the memorial with him to the dead on Effingham Road, i've found a website:

which is in depth to say the least. It also mentions roads off Petre Street which were affected and 'Cossey Road' still exists today, being off Forncett Street which runs parallel to Carlisle Street East. Hope its of some interest.

VERY INTERESTING BIT OF NOSTALGIA (big words for a clarke) thanks :thumbsup:

My gt grandma Elizabeth Bellamy nee Pigott was killed on 26 Sep 1916 in the Zeppelin raid. She lived at Writtle Street which doesn't exist now but ran off Sutherland Road near the top. She was standing near the window looking after my mum who was 9 months old & in a cot & was hit in the back by a large piece of shrapnel. She died shortly afterwards.

Hi johnpm my cousin lived at 43 Writtle st early 1960,s after a while they changed the name to either Maxted or Maxwell I can,t just remember.

Hi johnpm my cousin lived at 43 Writtle st early 1960,s after a while they changed the name to either Maxted or Maxwell I can,t just remember.

Hi Jean,

What a coincidence ! My gt grandparents lived at no. 43 too !! I think my gt grandad lived there until he died in 1936.

Do you know if any photos exist of Writtle Street?

hi jean ,its maxwell.i lived on maxwell way but a continuation of that went into maxwell st,which came out where sutherland rd baths was.maxwell way was at the top of sutherland rd.see yoy at the reunion.sheila x

hi jean ,its maxwell.i lived on maxwell way but a continuation of that went into maxwell st,which came out where sutherland rd baths was.maxwell way was at the top of sutherland rd.see yoy at the reunion.sheila x

Hi Sheila, I have an old map showing Writtle Street. It connected Maxwell St. and Sutherland Rd. Going up Sutherland Rd. Writtle Street was the next left after Maxwell Street. See You at the reunion.

Hi Sheila, I have an old map showing Writtle Street. It connected Maxwell St. and Sutherland Rd. Going up Sutherland Rd. Writtle Street was the next left after Maxwell Street. See You at the reunion.

that was maxwell way dave i lived at 24.see you later .

sorry johnpm I haven,t seen any photos of writtle st but I will ask my cousin next time I speak to her see if she has got any.

sorry johnpm I haven,t seen any photos of writtle st but I will ask my cousin next time I speak to her see if she has got any.

Thanks Jean. I wish I could get to the reunion but I live 100 miles away at Guisborough and the price of petriol these days makes it an expensive trip !

Maybe I will try to come if one is held in the summer time & can combine it with other things.

John

[quote=johnpm;

I wish I could get to the reunion but I live 100 miles away. John

Thats a walk in the park here John, Dor's used to do that everyday when she was working, petrol is about 12 bob a litre here and we feel we are getting ripped off, what's the price there nowadays.