Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi geotom, I remember Alf Webster he lived over our gardenwall, if I remember rightly he lived in the same yard as the Reynold boys, he had two sisters Mavis who was older and Carol who was younger and Phillip was the youngest.Mavis was a good singer she used to sing a solo on the sermons at the Reform Chapel at whitsuntide.Jean J.

Hi JeanJ, I knew there was Alf, Phillip, and a sister who married a taylor, but I didn't know of another sister, until I was talking to Alf's grandson.

Hello George. I remember Alf Webster and Peter Webster. I think they were cousins and lived a few doors from each other on Owler Lane.

Where did you see Alf?

Edited by cat631

Hello Steve H:

I'm sure thats right. I seem to remember that Shirley left Grimesthorpe school before the 11 plus year-presumably because the family left the area.

How come your good lady recognised her? Is she on the photo too?

Hi benbob, Shirley was about a year younger than my wife, they knew each other from sunday school etc. She lived on Brathey Rd end of Skellwith, her brother Brian still lives in same house.

think alf was a good footballer who played for grimesthorpe b.c.with our paul and the 4mimes charlie gray,barry whitingham.

Hi Ralph, I'm teaching his grandson, said he remembers you.

These Proctors you refer to lived on Birdwell Road. Cliff, the father, daughter Jean and son Keith. Can't remember Mam's name. Walt may know. My brother sees Jean occasionally, she still lives in the Firth Park Area.

Just remembered: Keith is also called Cliff

thats them Cliff worked at forgemasters (Brightside) jean lived on Bellhouse road two sons and two daughters...

Hello everyone, it's November 5th and Bonfire Night again. I got thinking today about Bonfire Nights when we were kids and how much we looked forward to it. It wasn't a 'grown up' organised thing but something that we just did, every year.

Our gang's preparations started in the Summer. Towards the end of the school holidays, and running out of things to do, our thoughts turned to collecting bommy wood. Although the term 'bommy wood' included wood, it also meant anything that would burn so Jimmy Child's tip was our favorite scrounging place. I remember loading old railway sleepers on our trolleys and rolling lorry tyres down Wincobank Hill, one of them demolishing a greenhouse in the allotments.

The tip watchman, an eldely chap called Bert Roddis did his best to scupper our pilfering. "Gerrart on it yer thievin' little buggers, if a catch yer yer'll get me stick across yer arses".

All our hard won bommy wood was destined for here.

DSCN6132.jpg

The junction of Holywell Road and Rothay Road. In the fifties, this was an area of 'spare ground', we don't hear about 'spare ground' these days, probably because it's all been built on. Anyway, this piece of 'spare ground' was known as The Back Ollers, why? I have no idea apart from there being a few 'ollows.

The bonfire gradually grew in hight and great pride was achieved in having the biggest bonfire in the area. This was only surpassed by the the number of three piece suites we collected. Great for sitting in comfort around the fire and always thrown on, last.

Once the fire was lit and going well, it was time for the best bit, throwing fireworks about. Squibs, Little Demons, Bangers and Jumpers, none of those sissy 'Golden Rains' for us. The Bangers made ten times the noise if we threw them down the terrace passages then ran like 'ell when the 'grown ups' chased us. "Yer little sods, yer've freetened bloody dog to death".

The fireworks all gone, it was back to the bonfire for some serious cooking. I can still taste those potatos today, black and charcoal on the outside, raw on the inside.

Then it was time to chuck on the old settees before going home, filthy and stinking of smoke.

No, we didn't have a bath before going to bed, November 5th is on a Thursday, bathnight is Monday.

:loopy::loopy:

Hello everyone, it's November 5th and Bonfire Night again. I got thinking today about Bonfire Nights when we were kids and how much we looked forward to it. It wasn't a 'grown up' organised thing but something that we just did, every year.

Our gang's preparations started in the Summer. Towards the end of the school holidays, and running out of things to do, our thoughts turned to collecting bommy wood. Although the term 'bommy wood' included wood, it also meant anything that would burn so Jimmy Child's tip was our favorite scrounging place. I remember loading old railway sleepers on our trolleys and rolling lorry tyres down Wincobank Hill, one of them demolishing a greenhouse in the allotments.

The tip watchman, an eldely chap called Bert Roddis did his best to scupper our pilfering. "Gerrart on it yer thievin' little buggers, if a catch yer yer'll get me stick across yer arses".

DSCN6132.jpg

The junction of Holywell Road and Rothay Road. In the fifties, this was an area of 'spare ground', we don't hear about 'spare ground' these days, probably because it's all been built on. Anyway, this piece of 'spare ground' was known as The Back Ollers, why? I have no idea apart from there being a few 'ollows.

The bonfire gradually grew in hight and great pride was achieved in having the biggest bonfire in the area. This was only surpassed by the the number of three piece suites we collected. Great for sitting in comfort around the fire and always thrown on, last.

Once the fire was lit and going well, it was time for the best bit, throwing fireworks about. Squibs, Little Demons, Bangers and Jumpers, none of those sissy 'Golden Rains' for us. The Bangers made ten times the noise if we threw them down the terrace passages then ran like 'ell when the 'grown ups' chased us. "Yer little sods, yer've freetened bloody dog to death".

The fireworks all gone, it was back to the bonfire for some serious cooking. I can still taste those potatos today, black and charcoal on the outside, raw on the inside.

Then it was time to chuck on the old settees before going home, filthy and stinking of smoke.

No, we didn't have a bath before going to bed, November 5th is on a Thursday, bathnight is Monday.

YOU KNOW BATH NIGHTS ON A SUNDAY READY FOR SCHOOL MONDAY MORNING :hihi::hihi:

What wonderful memories. Am I right in remembering that there was spare ground both sides of that bit of road?

DSCN6132.jpg

did ya use to stand guard Ralph so your rivals didn't set fire to it.:hihi:

What wonderful memories. Am I right in remembering that there was spare ground both sides of that bit of road?

Yes you are right Morty, there was always a huge bonfire at the end of the "hollers" near Brathay Road

Just been on memories of Pitsmoor thread,someone mentioned the sack of coal race that took place at Grimesthorpe.Anybody shed any light on it,where it took place etc.In the dark recesses of my mind i can recall my dad doing this.Sheila