Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi there,

Can anyone help me find my Father, Grand Parents or siblings?

My Fathers name is Stephen Thompson; born June 13th 1951.

He worked in the mine collieries between the mid 70's and early 90's,

He was also a doorman and understand he worked at the old Roxy nightclub, this may not be 100% right.

He was also in and out of prison for most of his life to my knowledge.

His dad (my Grand Father) is called Ernest Albert Thompson a.k.a "Porky"; born Jan (not 100%) 1929.

His mum (my Nan) is called Doreen Thompson (maiden name was France), I have no birth date for Doreen.

They were married to each other March 1951.

I have two former addresses:

504 Petre Street, Grimesthorpe S4 (no longer standing)

the other..

177 (possibly), Albert Road, Woodseats, S8.

I also was told they may have lived at somewhere in Woodhouse once upon a time..

My father was married to a lady named Susan Thompson, I do not know here maiden name.. but I understand they had children together but I do not know there names either.

Lastly, my name is Jude Jeffrey Wilson; born June 15th 1983, I am 31 years old.

I have a sister named Alicia Melody Thompson

My Mother is Ruth Laura Ann Wilson.

If anybody has any information at all about anyone from Thompson family then please get in touch.

Kind Regards

Jude

Edited by JudeWilson

Ah get sum photos on can never have enough I tried to put failed every time:confused: still keep putting a few in retro though not everyone has a commy!!!!

------------

Hi Pigeon, I keep looking at your sat pics in metro keep up the good work.

not been on here for sometime and its really gone down hill, could do with

some sparkle on this grimmy forum but i can see anymore, well all

reunions have finished i see.

Hope your ok. hihi

------------

Hi Pigeon, I keep looking at your sat pics in metro keep up the good work.

not been on here for sometime and its really gone down hill, could do with

some sparkle on this grimmy forum but i can see anymore, well all

reunions have finished i see.

Hope your ok. hihi

Yes Brian, it seems to have gone quiet of late. I scratch my head now about what to put on, but I keep tuning in. Must keep it alive eh!

Peter.

I keep walking past the Sheffield Arms it looks in a sad state, anybody know any news about what is going to happen to it.

I keep walking past the Sheffield Arms it looks in a sad state, anybody know any news about what is going to happen to it.

Good question Southweller it was for sale but signs gone now someone down there will make some enquiries watch this space!!:hihi:

Yes Brian, it seems to have gone quiet of late. I scratch my head now about what to put on, but I keep tuning in. Must keep it alive eh!

Peter.

--------------

Yes Peter i've done the same but keep tuning in as said.

Mind you i'am still struggling with my photobucket since having this new

brower, can't get pics on forum but somethink or someone will

get me going i'am sure.:) Brian

--------------

Yes Peter i've done the same but keep tuning in as said.

Mind you i'am still struggling with my photobucket since having this new

brower, can't get pics on forum but somethink or someone will

get me going i'am sure.:) Brian

Ah get going love the pics and banter :help:

Hello! Good evening and welcome to all. Must have taken me over a year to meander through the two 'Anyone come from Grimesthorpe' threads but have enjoyed visualising some of the descriptions of places and events even though some of my own experiences were not as pleasant. I cannot now remember all I've read so I suppose I'll have to start reading them all over again and add any applicable memories I may have that may interest.

I get the impression that many who contribute may be a few years older than I, not a lot, so names are not all known to me though I do remember Mr Gathercole at Grimesthorpe Junior whom I've heard mention.

I smile about my mother in the late 50s always telling me that we would soon get a council house with a bath when the council purchased and cleared Birdwell Road, Southwell Road and Wansfell Road et.al. She has passed so would have still been waiting. Who says the council does not get things done.

A sad thing is to have seen Wincobank Hill part built on, sanitised, hazards to the life and limb of every child removed, (the two gun stands), the black heaps that were better than any modern day skate board park. I used to enjoy standing and looking all around from atop the stands, zooming down the black slag hills on a crappy mongrel bike put together that had more patches on the inner tubes than there were inner tube. Great also to lay on my back on the hill side in the fine grass looking up and listening to the skylark whistling as it rose vertically higher and higher till it could hardly be seen or heard. Also got the greatest shock when I found in the grass the one and only Stag Beetle I've ever seen in my life. It was huge, especially the jaws at 3" across. Its colours were fantastic, iridescent like petrol shinning on the top of water. You just did not see such a thing in Grimesthorpe, or I bet certainly not now. Also wonder if skylarks are still around. Never mind for now.

One person I've not heard mention of is Old Man Woods, the woodwork teacher at Owler Lane. Had some respect for him till one day he threatened me with what he called his Double Diamond, his cane. He called it Double Diamond as he claimed it worked wonders, it didn't as even though he only threatened me with it once I subsequently lost all respect for him as he had proved he was just another that thought violence was an okay thing.

To finish for the time being, there were many great things in and around Grimesthorpe one being Firth Park pond. I used to go there as a youngster sailing little yachts and less often, due to the price of fuel pellets, the Jetex speed boat that you could buy from Hobbies next to the Peace Gardens. Hated the burns you used to get from the engines when used but survived. I see the pond is now just a concrete wasteland with token basketball poles at both ends. Never seen the number of parents and children gathered there as I remember seeing when little.

More to come if of any use.

Hello! Good evening and welcome to all. Must have taken me over a year to meander through the two 'Anyone come from Grimesthorpe' threads but have enjoyed visualising some of the descriptions of places and events even though some of my own experiences were not as pleasant. I cannot now remember all I've read so I suppose I'll have to start reading them all over again and add any applicable memories I may have that may interest.

I get the impression that many who contribute may be a few years older than I, not a lot, so names are not all known to me though I do remember Mr Gathercole at Grimesthorpe Junior whom I've heard mention.

I smile about my mother in the late 50s always telling me that we would soon get a council house with a bath when the council purchased and cleared Birdwell Road, Southwell Road and Wansfell Road et.al. She has passed so would have still been waiting. Who says the council does not get things done.

A sad thing is to have seen Wincobank Hill part built on, sanitised, hazards to the life and limb of every child removed, (the two gun stands), the black heaps that were better than any modern day skate board park. I used to enjoy standing and looking all around from atop the stands, zooming down the black slag hills on a crappy mongrel bike put together that had more patches on the inner tubes than there were inner tube. Great also to lay on my back on the hill side in the fine grass looking up and listening to the skylark whistling as it rose vertically higher and higher till it could hardly be seen or heard. Also got the greatest shock when I found in the grass the one and only Stag Beetle I've ever seen in my life. It was huge, especially the jaws at 3" across. Its colours were fantastic, iridescent like petrol shinning on the top of water. You just did not see such a thing in Grimesthorpe, or I bet certainly not now. Also wonder if skylarks are still around. Never mind for now.

One person I've not heard mention of is Old Man Woods, the woodwork teacher at Owler Lane. Had some respect for him till one day he threatened me with what he called his Double Diamond, his cane. He called it Double Diamond as he claimed it worked wonders, it didn't as even though he only threatened me with it once I subsequently lost all respect for him as he had proved he was just another that thought violence was an okay thing.

To finish for the time being, there were many great things in and around Grimesthorpe one being Firth Park pond. I used to go there as a youngster sailing little yachts and less often, due to the price of fuel pellets, the Jetex speed boat that you could buy from Hobbies next to the Peace Gardens. Hated the burns you used to get from the engines when used but survived. I see the pond is now just a concrete wasteland with token basketball poles at both ends. Never seen the number of parents and children gathered there as I remember seeing when little.

It will be of use Long Ago. All memories are of importance, and welcome to the forum

Great memories and welcome to the thread :thumbsup:

Mod Note:

Posts have been removed as they were reported to our attention.

If you wish to discuss this further, please contact the helpdesk for further discussion.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/support/index.php?act=tickets&code=open

Closing thread. Please feel free to create part three of this discussion.

Thank you.