Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Ok it was worth asking no one seems to remember her though our Mag.says she was around the area a lot.

Ok it was worth asking no one seems to remember her though our Mag.says she was around the area a lot.

I asked about Brenda Lambkin no body knew her either ! :confused:

I asked about Brenda Lambkin no body knew her either ! :confused:

Check with the people who went to the Ball reunions, she's on the photos. Lives in the Kimberworth area.

I was in Millhouses Park with my grandchildren today and seeing them have their first paddle on the boats on the boating lake evoked many childhood memories of my own. I could vividly remember going to the park with my mum and dad on the number 17 bus from Upwell Street I just wondered if any one else remembers making such a long journey, having picnics in the park, splashing in the paddling pool and sailing in the paddle boats. One strong memory I have is my mum taking us one day just after it had rained and the scent from the wall flowers in the flower beds is one I will never forget. Happy Days!

Do you remember going to Bakewell Park on the bus with the Co-op Circle? I have a photograph of us somewhere. We went to Clee every year on a coach as well!

Our David works at forge masters he machines the massive casting.Have only got photo's of family members outside 42 cyclops st.Do you know of a Rita Thompson our Margaret is trying to find out what became of her.

Hiya Rita Thompson lives on Longley Hall Farm along with her sister Doreen and both are still going strong but defo has never made cricket Bats to my knowledge lol

Thanks for that info.nice to get a sensible reply.will pass it on to our Margret she will be so glad to find out.

Do you remember going to Bakewell Park on the bus with the Co-op Circle? I have a photograph of us somewhere. We went to Clee every year on a coach as well!

I certainly do I can recall the photograph there may be a copy at my mums I will have to check.

Fish and chip tea at the Winter Gardens after a day spent on the beach, riding the little dipper and the horses down near Wonderland and then into Wonderland spending up all our money, winning little prizes on the stalls or machines and taking home presents for our mums! Happy days

I certainly do I can recall the photograph there may be a copy at my mums I will have to check.

Fish and chip tea at the Winter Gardens after a day spent on the beach, riding the little dipper and the horses down near Wonderland and then into Wonderland spending up all our money, winning little prizes on the stalls or machines and taking home presents for our mums! Happy days

Ah get sum photos on can never have enough I tried to put failed every time:confused: still keep putting a few in retro though not everyone has a commy!!!!

What times did the Buzzer/Siren go off every day. I think it sounded at twelve noon and 5.30 teatime but did it also go of in the evening?. When as youngsters we were up wood no one had a watch in them days so the only way of knowing the time is when the siren went off, either that or go down and have a look at Jimmy Childs clock.

What times did the Buzzer/Siren go off every day. I think it sounded at twelve noon and 5.30 teatime but did it also go of in the evening?. When as youngsters we were up wood no one had a watch in them days so the only way of knowing the time is when the siren went off, either that or go down and have a look at Jimmy Childs clock.

Remember the sirens golng off occasionally going in the Firth Brown / English Steel area but don'y know exactly where or when.

I was really surprised when I saw the Tour de France running through that area.would have had a problem keeping up with them on our old BSA's and Wiggies Gaspipes. It was good to see how things have changed

In the 1960's it went off in the morning at 7.30am, not sure about the afternoon exactly but I think it was about 4.15pm - 4.30pm

I can remember catching the 17 bus through Attercliffe where more boarded en route to millhouses sure it went right through to the lido gates but could be mistaken....:confused:

You could be right there Pigeon but we always got off the bus at the terminus just opposite the park, I don't know why because it meant that we then had to cross the main road to get into the park.

---------- Post added 15-06-2014 at 08:43 ----------

Has anybody heard owt about the Grimesthorpe community center opposite the church?

---------- Post added 15-06-2014 at 08:50 ----------

Hi CeeBeeBee, The dance school has now moved out of the centre to her husbands gym, which has left the centre with a big void, therefore we need more groups to be interested in the centre to bring the money in for the upkeep. If anyone is interested send me a private message.