Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Great photos John, one little question, does the stage in the side chapel still exist? As you probably remember that's where they held the Panto's, they were very professional with excellent costuming, they had make -up artists come in to do all actors make-up, as I have said before, it was all very professional.

---------- Post added 14-03-2014 at 15:16 ----------

Hi beezerboy - The two postings answered my questions, one company left or went out of business, at some point another company took over the premises and it would seem to be doing similar work in the fabricating industry. Thanks a bunch.

Hi Fleetwood, I didn't get into the hall but from my previous visit I think the stage is still there.

This photo of GWRC doing HMS Pinafore ( don't know precise year but think its late 1940's or early 50's) will interest you.

hmspinafore.jpg.

Here is my mum & dad madge & Jim Moore - don't know what show is

jim-madge.jpg

& one of my dad Jim(middle) , Uncle Ken Morris (right) & Les Cusworth (left)

les-jim-ken.jpg

I was down in Sheffield last weekend for Great Sheffield Flood 150th Commemorations as my gt gt grandad John King was killed in it. last Sunday morning I went to the Reform Chapel Anniversary service & took a variety of photos inside & out which may bring back memories to Grimesthorpians who went there. One or two you may not recognise!

John

Superb photos John. Brought back many memories, particularly as not been back to the Church since the late 1960's. The internal shot of the organ and front area reminds me of the annual Sermons as a youngster (1950's), when we seemed to be perched precariously on the temporary seating in front of the adult choir. Despite the covering over the bench seating, you could often see down through gaps to the floor which seemed to be far below.

I was down in Sheffield last weekend for Great Sheffield Flood 150th Commemorations as my gt gt grandad John King was killed in it. last Sunday morning I went to the Reform Chapel Anniversary service & took a variety of photos inside & out which may bring back memories to Grimesthorpians who went there. One or two you may not recognise!

P1010615_zps7a54deed.jpg

P1010616_zpsb166c521.jpg

P1010619_zps1a3ae3c8.jpg

P1010620_zpsd44c057f.jpg

P1010621_zpsd902e909.jpg

P1010622_zpsae83713f.jpg

P1010626_zps71f87057.jpg

P1010628_zps9feffccf.jpg

P1010629_zps217377b2.jpg

P1010630_zps7b43fc1e.jpg

P1010631_zpsdea0965c.jpg

John

Great photos John. They brought back lots of happy memories x

Hi Fleetwood, I didn't get into the hall but from my previous visit I think the stage is still there.

This photo of GWRC doing HMS Pinafore ( don't know precise year but think its late 1940's or early 50's) will interest you.

hmspinafore.jpg.

Here is my mum & dad madge & Jim Moore - don't know what show is

jim-madge.jpg

& one of my dad Jim(middle) , Uncle Ken Morris (right) & Les Cusworth (left)

les-jim-ken.jpg

I have just read a history of Reform Chapel & see that Light Operas were given in the 1930's so these photos must have been of light operas given in the late 1930's. After the war Pantomimes were performed for 6 consecutive evenings each February.

If anyone is intere4sted I can scan teh history & put it on here.

John

Great picturesJohn,brought back memories of when I was on the sermons , all the girls wore white dresses and the boys in white shirts and black trousers. Jean J

I have just read a history of Reform Chapel & see that Light Operas were given in the 1930's so these photos must have been of light operas given in the late 1930's. After the war Pantomimes were performed for 6 consecutive evenings each February.

If anyone is intere4sted I can scan teh history & put it on here.

John

Hi John,

I went to Sunday School there and was in the Lifeboys and also Boys Brigade for a short while until we moved to Shiregreen in 1957. I remember a pantomime. First time I had seen/heard live music.

Would be very interested in history of Reform Chapel if you put it on here.

Regards, Peter.

Here is a photo Barrie Reynolds just sent me of the 53rd Life Boys at Staithes in 1955. Lots of opportunity for "face spotting" here! Its also a very historic photo of Staithes as it shows the (now demolished) railway viaduct.

53rdLifeBoysStaithes19551150x710_zpseae709d3.jpg

Great picturesJohn,brought back memories of when I was on the sermons , all the girls wore white dresses and the boys in white shirts and black trousers. Jean J

Hi Jean J - This might have been brought up before and I apologize if I'm treading old ground but did you know Kim, Claire and John Sykes who lived on Upwell Hill?

History of Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Church

A number of histories have been written by Les Cusworth (except the 1951 version). I have copied :

a) 2001 150th Anniversary of orginal church (now school room) being built

b) 1997 Centenary of new church being built

c) 1951 Centenary of orginal church being built

d) History of the Organ prepared by Les in 1991.

They are all pdf files & I can't work out how to get them on here (if anyone knows please tell me!).

Otherwise send me an email & I will send them to you.

John

Edited by johnpm

Here is a photo Barrie Reynolds just sent me of the 53rd Life Boys at Staithes in 1955. Lots of opportunity for "face spotting" here! Its also a very historic photo of Staithes as it shows the (now demolished) railway viaduct.

53rdLifeBoysStaithes19551150x710_zpseae709d3.jpg

Hi John,

Lovely to see this photo which appears to be taken from what is now near the top end of the public car park, due to the position of the huts and railway viaduct. I am so pleased as I cannot recall the photo being taken, but am Peter Rowley in the middle of back row. (Same position as my school class photo of 1957, this being due to my height!). Rex Bacon, later of "The Four Mimes" and "The Discos" fame, is on the same row, third boy from right. And of course Charlie and Amy Wise on the right.

My two brothers and I were taking photos last year on a nostalgic trip, when the young lady manager invited us onto the site to look around. We looked inside one of the huts, which had seperate bedrooms, unlike the barracks style accommodation of double bunks down each side all those years ago!

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Fleetwood, I knew the Sykes very well John was in the Australian navy ,Kim & Clare were twins Kim was a teacher ( I think of blind children ) Clare married one of the Trustwells , haulage co, their mum was a dressmaker she made most of my dresses as a kid. When I was a baby my two cousins had gone down to play with Clare when there was a thunder storm and a thunder bolt fell down the chimney & rolled down the cellar steps my cousins had white dresses on which got covered in soot & they got their ears boxed for getting dirty. Jean J

Hi Fleetwood, I knew the Sykes very well John was in the Australian navy ,Kim & Clare were twins Kim was a teacher ( I think of blind children ) Clare married one of the Trustwells , haulage co, their mum was a dressmaker she made most of my dresses as a kid. When I was a baby my two cousins had gone down to play with Clare when there was a thunder storm and a thunder bolt fell down the chimney & rolled down the cellar steps my cousins had white dresses on which got covered in soot & they got their ears boxed for getting dirty. Jean J

I played with them a lot as kids and we all went to the Reform Chapel together due to the Boys Brigade and other activities. Kim and Clare as you mentioned were twins they were born in Africa as their dad was in the civil service in government out there. They had a picture on their china cabinet of their Dad with the Duke of Windsor (the one that abdicated to marry Mrs Wallis Simpson) taken in Africa, apparently their Dad was acting as some sort of body guard while the Prince was visiting there.

Edited by fleetwood
Correcting some historical facts,