Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi Fleetwood,

Both jennels are still there. The one at the side of the Reform Chapel has the remains of the old water pump near the Upwell Lane end. I used to use the other jennel at the side of what was the Bowling Green pub to access the Vic picture house on Upwell Street as a child. A little frightening in the dark! This is now rather muddy at the bottom end and virtually unpassable.

Regards, Peter.

Did the same thing Peter, if I was lucky I might even have a bag of scraps from the chippy at the bottom of the hill close to the Victory. I've mentioned this before that chip shop had all sizes of fish(stuffed) some quite large in glass cases around the walls. I remember seeing live acts with my Dad at the Little Regent across the road.

Hi johnpm and pigeon thanks for your PM's, all is good now and thank you for your trouble. Keep in touch. fleetwood

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 17:10 ----------

This is my take on the photo john, the two lads on the extreme right would have been closest to the caretakers backdoor, the buildings behind could be the caretakers tool storage area and their outside loo. The outside gates leading to Upwell Lane(with a waiting bus possibly outside) would be close to where the picture was taken from or close to it). The backdoor to the church would be closer to the right side of the shot, right of that area would have been the doors leading into the side of the chapel. Or have I got it completely wrong?

Ah always glad to help a fellow member :thumbsup:

what was the name of the man that played the base drum on the whitsuntide march i can see him in my mind but cant remember is name think it was a mr birch? anyone

Did the same thing Peter, if I was lucky I might even have a bag of scraps from the chippy at the bottom of the hill close to the Victory. I've mentioned this before that chip shop had all sizes of fish(stuffed) some quite large in glass cases around the walls. I remember seeing live acts with my Dad at the Little Regent across the road.

I lived on Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 up until 1957.

The stuffed fish seems to poke my memory. Used to have a bag of chips, must have missed out on the scraps :) .Sweets (Spice) from shop next door to Vic before going in. Unfortunately never went across road to see live acts though.

Just a bit more about the jennel next to Bowling Green. Access at the bottom is possible if you have wellies on. Also, the grey pebble dash is still on the wall plus the bits of broken glass on top.

I often go there for old times sake and If I bend on my haunches to child height, first checking that no one's looking, it takes me straight back in time :)

Edited by PeterR

I lived on Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 up until 1957.

The stuffed fish seems to poke my memory. Used to have a bag of chips, must have missed out on the scraps :) .Sweets (Spice) from shop next door to Vic before going in. Unfortunately never went across road to see live acts though.

Just a bit more about the jennel next to Bowling Green. Access at the bottom is possible if you have wellies on. Also, the grey pebble dash is still on the wall plus the bits of broken glass on top.

I often go there for old times sake and If I bend on my haunches to child height, first checking that no one's looking, it takes me straight back in time :)

its a long way to come let us know next time and we can have a pint in Ball:thumbsup:

Hi johnpm and Fleetwood,

I feel that most of what Fleetwood says fits. However, the entrance to the building in shot if it is in fact the Sunday School and stage/ Lifeboys and B.B. area, would have been ahead and just out of shot to the left of pic and the Chapel back entrance would be out of shot to the left. This also does not account for the brick houses as, from their position on the pic, they would have been over the dyke which is not possible. Therefore the shot could be of a different building altogether. What do you think? I'll try to have another look next time I'm down in Sheffield.

Regards, Peter.

Hi Peter, I think the problem may be one of perspective. There is certainly a gap between the end of the church schoolroom & the brick building next to it. That may well be large enough for the gennell that ran between. It's just the angle of the photo that forshortens how it looks.

John

Hi Peter, I think the problem may be one of perspective. There is certainly a gap between the end of the church schoolroom & the brick building next to it. That may well be large enough for the gennell that ran between. It's just the angle of the photo that forshortens how it looks.

John

Hi John,

I see what you mean John, but I recall houses only next to the caretakers house against the pavement. ( see picture sheffield ref. s20153 and s20160 and my post to you of 1st. Jan.) with outside toilets/ bin shelters in the back yard against the dyke wall . Can't recall any brick houses further back towards or on Upwell Street that would show on the pic. If the location is correct, the houses on your pic would have to be just out of shot to the right. However I'll try to have a look next time I'm down there.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Happy New Year to all my Grimesthorpe friends.

Here is a photo of the 53rd (Reform Chapel) BB band in 1939/1940. Peopla identfied by Eric Foster are kneeling on left Ken Whitman, kneeling 3rd from left Colin Lomas, next to him on end Ken Maynard, stood 2nd right Eric Turner and my dad Jim Moore standing in centre. Does anyone else have elderly relatives who can identify anyone else?

battbandwinners.jpg

John

------------------------

Hi Johnpm, Been checking your photo regards the boys in the

yard at reform chaple, there was a caretakers house near the big

gates the building behind the lads was an outside toilet on the left

of the picture but not sure the building on the right.

Does that help. Brian.

------------------------

Does that help. Brian.

THE guys on the left look like twins!

THE guys on the left look like twins!

-----------------

Hiya Pigeon, You said looks like twins on left, would that be at

front or back.

------------------------

Does that help. Brian.

You are right Brian. I think the building next to the toilets was a caretakers store. I also seem to remember the drain in the yard that is clearly visible to the left outside the schoolroom. Also a small garden outside the end of the schoolroom; you can just see its retaining wall at the side of the drainpipe going down the building.

John

-----------------

Hiya Pigeon, You said looks like twins on left, would that be at

front or back.

Hi the second and third on the left. I keep getting suspended for trivial things I say on the forum:hihi:dont mean to upset anyone so will appologise here!