Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi Fleetwood, Got your PM but system won't let me reply. Says you do not accept PM's. Suggest you check that "Enable Private Messaging" is checked in "Edit options" on "Settings & Options" part of Private Messages section.

John

The box for 'enable private message' has been ticked all the time. Not sure what the problem is. I will try to check with forum and see if they can help, but sometimes that takes days to no resolve. We seem to have done everything we can at this end, please try one more time.

fleetwood

The box for 'enable private message' has been ticked all the time. Not sure what the problem is. I will try to check with forum and see if they can help, but sometimes that takes days to no resolve. We seem to have done everything we can at this end, please try one more time.

fleetwood

Tried again twice but no luck with PM. Hope you can sort it out!

John

Hi everyone - this is my first post on the 'Grimesthorpe Thread', although I've enjoyed reading and following it for some time.

Unfortunately my first post is on behalf of the family of Trevor Green ( my older brother)to inform 'Grimesthorpians' who may have known him of him passing away on the early evening of 27 December 2013, following a long fight against terminal illness. Trevor resided as a child and young person at Southwell Road, at Upwell Street following marriage to Dorothy his wife (behind Mr. Willie's gentleman's hairdresser's), and more recently since the 1970's at Rainbow Avenue Hackenthorpe with their children Elizabeth and Neil.

To those who may wish to know funeral arrangements, I will make a further post when they are known. My apologies if this my first post post is out of sync. with the thread.

Tony Green

Hi again everyone - greetings.

Further to my post regarding the passing away of Trevor Green, may I now please take the opportunity to inform everyone of the relevant details of Trevor's funeral arrangements.

The funeral will take place in Sheffield at the 'City Road Cemetery' City Road, Sheffield S2 1GD, at 2.45pm. on Monday 13th January 2014, immediately followed by a 'buffet reception' to celebrate his life at the 'Fairway Inn', Birley Wood, Birley Lane, Sheffield S12 3BP; which is around 1.5 miles from the cemetery.

At the request of Trevor's family, they request no flowers please, but donations in lieu of flowers may be made to the Macmillan Cancer Support (Macmillan Nurses who helped Trevor and his family so much) OR to Cancer Research UK.

Kind regards,

Tony Green.

Tried again twice but no luck with PM. Hope you can sort it out!

John

To johnpm - Have it on good authority now that my 'being able to receive PM's is up and running'. Made changes as per recommendation from Forum. Thanks from fleetwood

To johnpm - Have it on good authority now that my 'being able to receive PM's is up and running'. Made changes as per recommendation from Forum. Thanks from fleetwood

Hi Fleetwood, Sent you a PM to check all is ok now. John

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 19:06 ----------

Hi John,

Sorry, but I'm unable to help with identification. However, I'm trying to orientate re the buildings. Would this be the view if entering the gates and looking to the right, behind the stone house? If so the water pump would be behind the outbuildings. If this is the case, the position of the brick terraced houses confuse me as I recall houses adjacent to the pavement, but these look further back. I'd appreciate your comments.

Regards, Peter.

Hi Peter, I am sure the photo is of Reform Chapel Yard & have sought advice from Jeanette Jessop (lived near it) who agrees.

Regards, John

Hi Fleetwood, Sent you a PM to check all is ok now. John

Oooops! I just sent him one as well :hihi:

Hi johnpm and pigeon thanks for your PM's, all is good now and thank you for your trouble. Keep in touch. fleetwood

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 17:10 ----------

Happy New Year to all my Grimesthorpe friends.

Here is a photo of the 53rd (Reform Chapel) BB band in 1939/1940. Peopla identfied by Eric Foster are kneeling on left Ken Whitman, kneeling 3rd from left Colin Lomas, next to him on end Ken Maynard, stood 2nd right Eric Turner and my dad Jim Moore standing in centre. Does anyone else have elderly relatives who can identify anyone else?

battbandwinners.jpg

John

This is my take on the photo john, the two lads on the extreme right would have been closest to the caretakers backdoor, the buildings behind could be the caretakers tool storage area and their outside loo. The outside gates leading to Upwell Lane(with a waiting bus possibly outside) would be close to where the picture was taken from or close to it). The backdoor to the church would be closer to the right side of the shot, right of that area would have been the doors leading into the side of the chapel. Or have I got it completely wrong?

Edited by fleetwood

Hi johnpm and pigeon thanks for your PM's, all is good now and thank you for your trouble. Keep in touch. fleetwood

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 17:10 ----------

This is my take on the photo john, the two lads on the extreme right would have been closest to the caretakers backdoor, the buildings behind could be the caretakers tool storage area and their outside loo. The outside gates leading to Upwell Lane(with a waiting bus possibly outside) would be close to where the picture was taken from or close to it). The backdoor to the church would be closer to the right side of the shot, right of that area would have been the doors leading into the side of the chapel. Or have I got it completely wrong?

You have it spot on Fleetwood!

You have it spot on Fleetwood!

Hi johnpm and Fleetwood,

I feel that most of what Fleetwood says fits. However, the entrance to the building in shot if it is in fact the Sunday School and stage/ Lifeboys and B.B. area, would have been ahead and just out of shot to the left of pic and the Chapel back entrance would be out of shot to the left. This also does not account for the brick houses as, from their position on the pic, they would have been over the dyke which is not possible. Therefore the shot could be of a different building altogether. What do you think? I'll try to have another look next time I'm down in Sheffield.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I never knew Peter joined the RAF he didn't stay in long if so. Paul is alive and well, Jean and Margaret have sadly passed away. Auntie Jenny is good didn't know she was a footballer though! Yes they had a black lab called Ni@@er you couldn't do that now!!!

I'd love to see any old photos and hear any stories anyone has on the Dunns.

Hi try looking on Friends reunited Owler Lane and Grimesthorpe Junior Schools your mum may be on some of the photos on there. If you are successful and find your mum on any of them can you tag her. If your mum can remember me I was Christine Butler and the dates you give correspond to when I went to those schools.

My mother was born in Chambers Lane and I know that area where it started and where it came out between the Bowling Green and English Steel. I know there was a jennel? on other side of the Bowling Green that came out onto Upwell St, my question is, wasn't there another wider jennel? that ran almost at the side of the Reform Chapel again connecting Upwell Lane to Upwell St.

My mother was born in Chambers Lane and I know that area where it started and where it came out between the Bowling Green and English Steel. I know there was a jennel? on other side of the Bowling Green that came out onto Upwell St, my question is, wasn't there another wider jennel? that ran almost at the side of the Reform Chapel again connecting Upwell Lane to Upwell St.

Hi Fleetwood,

Both jennels are still there. The one at the side of the Reform Chapel has the remains of the old water pump near the Upwell Lane end. I used to use the other jennel at the side of what was the Bowling Green pub to access the Vic picture house on Upwell Street as a child. A little frightening in the dark! This is now rather muddy at the bottom end and virtually unpassable.

Regards, Peter.