Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Can only recall Mr/Mrs Boam I know they had a son but don't know his name.

------------

Hi Sheila, Have been going through that list of names on

Hunsley st, that shop on corner of Ruthin st but opposite

that other side on corner of Ruthin st there was a couple with a few

kids was their names Broomhead.

I always spoke to bloke but never new the name. Brian.

PS, Where's all that heavy wind we were getting, down south had some.

:|:|

------------

Hi Sheila, Have been going through that list of names on

Hunsley st, that shop on corner of Ruthin st but opposite

that other side on corner of Ruthin st there was a couple with a few

kids was their names Broomhead.

I always spoke to bloke but never new the name. Brian.

PS, Where's all that heavy wind we were getting, down south had some.

:|:|

Called the dad Albert and mother was Annie,kids were Betty,Kathleen,Iris and Jeffery.Can you remember Jean Worship used to go in wooker she passed away other day.And let the winds stop down south.

Been busy working, we now do 12.5 hour shifts n we seem to get more night shifts than we did before n I don't function well from nights, my body clock is all over the place. I tend to look on forum when I'm at Mum's but not had chance to catch up lately. Hope you are all ok?, I keep up with bits from your Mum on facebook :-) x

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 17:03 ----------

Hiya, not sure if anyone saw a feature in The Sheffield Star 19/10/2013 about Grimesthorpe Family Centre? If you google 'Community centre on brink of closure' sheffield star, it will bring it up. Many of you will know the centre and many will have some memories of weddings, parties, pantomimes, girl guides, brownies etc, I know my family have at least 4 generations of memories there.

The feature is appealing for help as we had just had the boiler condemned and couldn't afford to have it fixed, we haven't paid for a new one as the star stated, we simply haven't got the money, thanks to a gas leak which left the centre with a massive bill. Thankfully a past member who used to come to the youth club and is now a gas fitter, felt he wanted to help and managed to get the heating back in full working order through his contacts at a faction of the price. We now desperately need help with pointing, new roof, damp proofing and other jobs, we recently had a grant for new windows which has made a massive improvement with warmth downstairs.

We desperately need help so if anyone knows of anyone who can help, we are a registered charity, please get in contact or pop to the centre. Mondays is Attercliffe dog club, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays is dancing, Wednesday nights is youth club, Saturday is ballroom dancing and Sunday mornings is Karate. It would be lovely to hear stories and memories.

Hello Jane saw the article in the star can only wish you good luck with the project am sure all will work out positive in the long run!

Called the dad Albert and mother was Annie,kids were Betty,Kathleen,Iris and Jeffery.Can you remember Jean Worship used to go in wooker she passed away other day.And let the winds stop down south.

-----------

I use to imagine he had around 6 kids but there you go Sheila,

Albert you said, i though he had one of them comical face, :hihi: times

he made me laugh and times when i passed his place he'd be outside

on the wall at front.

---------- Post added 29-10-2013 at 16:16 ----------

Hi Sheila, If its Alan Worships wife Jean off Margate Drive then yes i

did know them, their back yard use to face our's over into 32, Cyclops st

when our Norma lived there. Brian.--- Hope your well.

----------

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 20:49 ----------

--------------

Hi Sheila, Looked in sheffield star, Jean Worship died oct 26th

age77, service city rd on nov 4th 10.45am.

Hello Jane saw the article in the star can only wish you good luck with the project am sure all will work out positive in the long run!

Thank you, I'll keep you all updated x

Many of you will know the centre and many will have some memories of weddings, parties, pantomimes, girl guides, brownies etc, I know my family have at least 4 generations of memories there.

It would be lovely to hear stories and memories.

The Parish Centre certainly holds a lot of memories for me such as dancing every Satuday night to Jack Start's Band when I was a child, attending family wedding receptions and parties, the annual Church Bazaar and the development of the Youth Club and coffee bar all those years ago. We held a table tennis marathon amongst other events to raise funds. I attended Brownies, Guides and Rangers and went on to Young Leaders in order to help with Brownies and many years later when I was District Commissioner for North West, was invited back to lead campfire singing at a Brownie Parents Evening. I think it was probably one of very few churches who had Boys Brigade partnered with Girl Guiding. My dad and his brothers were also in the BB there in the early 1900s, I still have his badges and medals. I wish you lots of luck and every success Janie.

The Parish Centre and St Thomas church was almost my second home, I spent hours there. The dumb waiter that was used to transfer food and tea urns from the downstairs kitchen to the little room behind the hall used to fascinate me and once the youth club opened life completely changed as we could meet up with all our friends in a warm and welcoming place. Hope all goes well with the fund raising.

If I can remember correctly, why the lack of 'odd' numbers not showing the middle and upper section of Botham St, this would be on the right side looking down. I was asking hillsbro about another matter quite sometime ago and if I remember correctly he said the houses were classed as 'back to back' and not registered or recorded as such, now we all know that wasn't the case, but there you go, so there's sides of Botham St intersected by Petre St that is not showing the people that lived there and if that's the case there must have been many other areas of Sheffield not recorded also.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/RefuseCollection-1960_zps64f68479.jpg

Hi Fleetwood, Remember these bins in grimesthorpe 1960,

the blokes would take and empty your bins and bring them back

for you every week. Dont do that now in sheffield. :loopy:

We dont give um a exmas box anymore. :hihi::hihi:

---------------

Hiya, Welcome to the club and feel free to join in with the gossip.

Brian. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 12:45 ----------

----------------

Hiya Jean j, Our Norma's uncle lived at No50 botham st

his name was Tommy Gould, that was in Lily Marsh yard left hand side

going down.

The rooms in his house was same as yours. Brian.

---------- Post added 21-10-2013 at 16:33 ----------

----------------

Hi Skippy, Just been looking on assie map, was the fire anywhere

near Darlington point. Brian.

---------- Post added 22-10-2013 at 18:39 ----------

-----------------------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Gowerstchurch022_zps57603c66.jpg

Hiya Sheila, :wave: Another picture of gower st, is that Elsmere rd leading

upto that chuch at top, not sure if it did stand at top of sunderland rd.

Brian.

Thanks Brian and i will do :)

The Parish Centre certainly holds a lot of memories for me such as dancing every Satuday night to Jack Start's Band when I was a child, attending family wedding receptions and parties, the annual Church Bazaar and the development of the Youth Club and coffee bar all those years ago. We held a table tennis marathon amongst other events to raise funds. I attended Brownies, Guides and Rangers and went on to Young Leaders in order to help with Brownies and many years later when I was District Commissioner for North West, was invited back to lead campfire singing at a Brownie Parents Evening. I think it was probably one of very few churches who had Boys Brigade partnered with Girl Guiding. My dad and his brothers were also in the BB there in the early 1900s, I still have his badges and medals. I wish you lots of luck and every success Janie.

Hi Flo Fennel, I started going to Brownies in 1977 and followed through to Guides,I was the first to get my Baden Powell badge, they'd stopped doing the Queens Guide in Guides at that time and had moved it to Rangers. I had to leave St Thomas' to go to St Hilda's for Rangers with Mary Robinson but it wasn't the same. I'll probably know who you are if you was still involved then. Thank you for your wishes, I'll keep you all informed.

---------- Post added 05-11-2013 at 13:58 ----------

The Parish Centre and St Thomas church was almost my second home, I spent hours there. The dumb waiter that was used to transfer food and tea urns from the downstairs kitchen to the little room behind the hall used to fascinate me and once the youth club opened life completely changed as we could meet up with all our friends in a warm and welcoming place. Hope all goes well with the fund raising.

I remember going to centre for the Christmas fete, All the stalls, playing Bingo, cups of tea in the back, the dumb waiter used to fascinate us too, we loved pulling the ropes. Then as we got older and more mischievous we put my little brother in it and sent him up, we got in some right trouble for that. It's all boarded up now but I'm sure it's still behind it, I might make that one of my missions when we've got the major stuff out of the way. Thank you for wishing us well. There will be updates as things progress, we're remaining positive :)

Hi All just seen this thread as not been on for a while. I used to live on Whiteways Road, Grimesthorpe - surname was Stevnson then. Went to Whilteways school between 1981-85

------------------

Hi Ikkleange, I knew two bothers on whiteways called them

ward brothers one of them joined police force.

------------

Not sure of year when all them house were built on whiteways but

we use to play football on that land.

I'am Brian off Hunsley st. :|:|

------------------

Hi Ikkleange, I knew two bothers on whiteways called them

ward brothers one of them joined police force.

------------

Not sure of year when all them house were built on whiteways but

we use to play football on that land.

I'am Brian off Hunsley st. :|:|

Hi Brian, not sure when the houses on Whiteways were built, but the 'new houses' on Earl Marshall Rd were built when I was at Owler Lane Infants School, 1957'ish. We used to go and play on the building site at lunch times, and got into trouble when we went back to school after diner time, late of course, because we were covered in mud, then when I got home, in trouble from my mum.