Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

The burnt out building did belong to wigfalls,it came onto Champs Hill.

------------------

Thanks for that Sheila -stranger, horse trough problem sorted now

for grimesthorpe.

If youv'e read my thread, have put picture of trough in gower st.

---------------

When i started work ending of 50s i worked at sheffield brick comany

down rutland rd, i use to get my bus outside the church in gower st

opposite them shops near libarary.

I saw that trough every morning uptill they pulled the church down

sometime 1964. Brian.

Hope your well :love:

------------------

Thanks for that Sheila -stranger, horse trough problem sorted now

for grimesthorpe.

If youv'e read my thread, have put picture of trough in gower st.

---------------

When i started work ending of 50s i worked at sheffield brick comany

down rutland rd, i use to get my bus outside the church in gower st

opposite them shops near libarary.

I saw that trough every morning uptill they pulled the church down

sometime 1964. Brian.

Hope your well :love:

That would have been a number 8 or 9 bus, think it depended on which direction the bus was going.

That would have been a number 8 or 9 bus, think it depended on which direction the bus was going.

---------------

Spot on Solujon, yer got good memory as no8 was going down

rutland rd and no9 coming back. :thumbsup:

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/HorseTrough1900-19_zps509e2a69.jpg

Hiya Pigeon, Done checks on sheffield pictures plus with library and archives,

there were only 20 troughs around sheffield.

The nearest one was in gower st in 1900ths, toll bar in pitsmoor burngreave had one,

hunters bar and places in fulwood.

So it seems grimesthorpe didn't have a trough unless we all got confuse and

that it could have been a tin bath we saw, probably put there from old houses.

hihihi

AH that must be it then another Grimesthorpe mystry solved!:hihi: Tin bath remains hidden at back of tardis for 200 years:confused:

------------------

Hiya johnpm, Was hoping someone might have a picture of

the church. :):)

Here is photo of Gower St Methodist Chapel courtesy of solujon who hasn't worked out how to post it. Sorry its quite a small file.

GowerStSheffieldMethodistChapel_zps9a2c672a.jpg

It was a Wesleyan Reform Chapel which in 1881 seated 274 . On the day of the Sheffield Independant's Religious census taken on 20 Nov 1881 it had an attendance of 104 in the morning & 240 in the evening!

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Gowerstchurch015_zps314abb31.jpg

Hi Johnpm, This is the church i was on about in gower st,

it was hard to look up as it came under - wicker congregational church.

I put a picture on this thread of a horse trough 1900th and it was at

back of the church top corner gower st and burngreave rd corner.

Think i've got it right. Brian. :|

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 19:06 ----------

Here is photo of Gower St Methodist Chapel courtesy of solujon who hasn't worked out how to post it. Sorry its quite a small file.

-----------

Snap mate, we've put the picture on together how's about that then.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I have mentioned this before, on Hunsley St in the yard above the chapel which had a large opening to the street, I suppose large enough for a vehicle to drive in and out of. I think only one family lived in there but it was the nature of the work that went on, there was some sort of workshop in the yard and I know there might have been a furnace of some description operating. The fella who I assume was the man that lived on the premises was making large round shallow baskets (they may have been of varying diameters, probably 3 to 4ft). He would take what appeared to be tree branch approx. 11/2" to 2" in diameter and make a hoop then weave slats of wood criss crossing and fastened them to the outer ring. He would have these completed baskets stacked high, so he had a thriving business of some sorts but what they were used for or the application I have no idea. Can anybody throw any light on the subject.

If Barnsley Rd is behind this church and Spital Hill to the left, then the bus stop was for the #34 & #35, and I paid many a visit to the urinal on the corner on my way home from the Coliseum.

Re Fleetwoods basket maker , my wife says the family was called Waltham (or something like that) and the girl was Janet, She thinks the Epplestones could help you .

---------- Post added 15-10-2013 at 01:25 ----------

Just remembered, there was also a urinal at the other end of Gower St on the corner at Sutherland Road I think.With all the pubs they came in handy.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Gowerstchurch015_zps314abb31.jpg

Hi Johnpm, This is the church i was on about in gower st,

it was hard to look up as it came under - wicker congregational church.

I put a picture on this thread of a horse trough 1900th and it was at

back of the church top corner gower st and burngreave rd corner.

Think i've got it right. Brian. :|

---------- Post added 14-10-2013 at 19:06 ----------

-----------

Snap mate, we've put the picture on together how's about that then.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Hi Solujon, Sorry to "put a spanner in the works" but Wicker Congregational church & Gower St Wesleyan Reform chapel it seems are different buildings. Wicker Congregational church was on the junction of Burngreave Rd & Ellesmere Rd but it was only its rear schoolroom that was on Gower St. It was built in 1854. According to the London Gazette, Gower St Wesleyan Reform chapel was solemnised for marriages on 4 Feb 1918 & ceased to be used for public worship on 8 Aug 1944. A map I have dated about 1950 shows both the Congregational chapel & what I think must be the old Wesleyan Reform chapel on the northern side at the far end of Gower St.

GowerStchapel1955_zps3a3a83a4.jpg

An OS map produced in the 1950's is clearly more up to date & appears to show what was the Wesleyan Reform Chapel as a laboratory.

GowerstOS1950s_zps710f9e9a.jpg

So it appears there is no photo of the Gower St Wesleyan Reform chapel available but it may be that building is still there if someone who lives in Sheffield can go & look & photo it.

Edited by johnpm

I have mentioned this before, on Hunsley St in the yard above the chapel which had a large opening to the street, I suppose large enough for a vehicle to drive in and out of. I think only one family lived in there but it was the nature of the work that went on, there was some sort of workshop in the yard and I know there might have been a furnace of some description operating. The fella who I assume was the man that lived on the premises was making large round shallow baskets (they may have been of varying diameters, probably 3 to 4ft). He would take what appeared to be tree branch approx. 11/2" to 2" in diameter and make a hoop then weave slats of wood criss crossing and fastened them to the outer ring. He would have these completed baskets stacked high, so he had a thriving business of some sorts but what they were used for or the application I have no idea. Can anybody throw any light on the subject.

Would that be number 24, the Blakeleys?

Re Gower St chapel, I have looked on Google Street view & there is a building occupied by Low Cost Taxis around the position where the chapel was & the taller brick building behind it looks remarkably like the front of a chapel!!