Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Yes I did brian,and no he's not a twin.

----------------

Thanks for that :love:.

There was a Methodist church down Hunsley st it closed in the 50s

then took over by Wigfalls, was it still there when your family moved

from grimesthorpe, i cant remember as i left in 1971/2. Brian.

----------------

Thanks for that :love:.

There was a Methodist church down Hunsley st it closed in the 50s

then took over by Wigfalls, was it still there when your family moved

from grimesthorpe, i cant remember as i left in 1971/2. Brian.

Sure it was Bri,mum/dad moved 72 also.I was on Cyclops st but left 72.

Sure it was Bri,mum/dad moved 72 also.I was on Cyclops st but left 72.

------------

I didn't no you could buy from that shop wigfalls, our Norma mentioned it

i thought it was a repair shop only.

Just thought Sheila when you said we all left in 1972, pity we all hadn't

had a leaving do when we were all moving on.

Or was there one i did'nt know about. :huh:

Sorry you think my post re Hinde House Lane isn't relevent to this thread. In fact I am a Grimesthorpian through & through. Went to Grimesthorpe school, spent 35 years attending Reform Chapel & BB & being involved with the Crossey's & other folk at St Thomas BB until my job moved me from Sheffield. My mum, uncle & grandparents lived on Rothay Rd from 1923 until grandparents & Uncle had died in the 1990's.

It had never occurred to me that anyone would consider Hinde House Lane people as not relevent to Grimesthorpe as its the people who make an area not precisely where they live so I think we should be careful not to be too parochial. If we do we risk excluding many who have wonderful memories of Grimesthorpe & the surrounding area!

I was looking at a map of Grimmy and the area wasn`t that big actually sometimes hard to see where grimy ended and pagehall started same with the cliffe and elesmere

I was looking at a map of Grimmy and the area wasn`t that big actually sometimes hard to see where grimy ended and pagehall started same with the cliffe and elesmere

And that is why I asked for a definitive map of its boundaries over the years

And that is why I asked for a definitive map of its boundaries over the years

I sent you a link to a few maps on google that may help

johnpm how near do you live to Whitby

Sorry you think my post re Hinde House Lane isn't relevent to this thread. In fact I am a Grimesthorpian through & through. Went to Grimesthorpe school, spent 35 years attending Reform Chapel & BB & being involved with the Crossey's & other folk at St Thomas BB until my job moved me from Sheffield. My mum, uncle & grandparents lived on Rothay Rd from 1923 until grandparents & Uncle had died in the 1990's.

It had never occurred to me that anyone would consider Hinde House Lane people as not relevent to Grimesthorpe as its the people who make an area not precisely where they live so I think we should be careful not to be too parochial. If we do we risk excluding many who have wonderful memories of Grimesthorpe & the surrounding area!

That's right John, you tell 'em.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6757/7q19.jpg

A map of the Parish of Grimesthorpe. Kindley passed on to me by Mr. Hugh Waterhouse.

Its border at one end was just to the north of Wincobank Hill and Colliery Road. The south eastern boundary was Brightside Lane and the south west, Carwood Road.

Grimesthorpe Road, Upwell Lane, Owler Lane and Firth Park Road as far as Firth Park Avenue formed the north west boundary.

The shape of the parish gave name to St. Thomas's Church magazine.............

'The Boot'. Its motto. 'The Pulse That Beats in the Heart of Steel'.

Edited by cat631

That's right John, you tell 'em.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6757/7q19.jpg

A map of the Parish of Grimesthorpe. Kindley passed on to me by Mr. Hugh Waterhouse.

Its border at one end was just to the north of Wincobank Hill and Colliery Road. The south eastern boundary was Brightside Lane and the south west, Carwood Road.

Grimesthorpe Road, Upwell Lane, Owler Lane and Firth Park Road as far as Firth Park Avenue formed the north west boundary.

The shape of the parish gave name to St. Thomas's Church magazine.............

'The Boot'. Its motto. 'The Pulse That Beats in the Heart of Steel'.

Well that looks pretty finite, thanks very much, surprised ,,at the amount to the eastern side,especially the Hawke St and the old English Steel Corp: plant

johnpm how near do you live to Whitby

Hi hehe, its 19 miles over the moors or on the coast road. I travel it every other Sunday afternoon as I sing in a choir there & originally went to the dentist ( a work colleagues wife) there as we couldn't get one in Guisborough. Its always very busy throughout the year but a really nice place. The North Yorks Moors Railway now goes there as well as Northern Rail from Middlesbrough.

Hi hehe, its 19 miles over the moors or on the coast road. I travel it every other Sunday afternoon as I sing in a choir there & originally went to the dentist ( a work colleagues wife) there as we couldn't get one in Guisborough. Its always very busy throughout the year but a really nice place. The North Yorks Moors Railway now goes there as well as Northern Rail from Middlesbrough.

Hi john do you remember wendy Holt of Willoughby street

Whitby great place went there yesterday, best resort on that coast and it is in God's own county, some really good fish restaurants.