Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Moss St was the topic awhile ago, so I am wondering if anybody remembers the Atkin family that lived in the first yard below and next to Oldfields Dairy, this would be at the top on the left hand side looking down the hill. Am probably dating myself but I was in the same class as Peter Atkin at Owler Lane School.

Just started a new job and recognised a face from Grimesthorpe Mark Askham eldest of 3 brothers Elsie Askhams other lads were Micheal and Martin they lived on Draper Street.... :thumbsup:

Moss St was the topic awhile ago, so I am wondering if anybody remembers the Atkin family that lived in the first yard below and next to Oldfields Dairy, this would be at the top on the left hand side looking down the hill. Am probably dating myself but I was in the same class as Peter Atkin at Owler Lane School.

Was the house in a yard on it's own,and did they have an Alsatian dog the name rings a bell?

---------- Post added 19-08-2013 at 20:36 ----------

-------------

I only come across them today just going through a few things,

were good though Sheila.

Do i know this jean who spoke to you earlier.

don't think so Bri,Jean married my dad's cousin.

To 'rf2690' you maybe right on all counts, I am going to try and look into this a little further.

Think you could be right there Jean,knew it was something else before secondhand shop but not a P.O.Come on Dors can you remember.Hope your well Jean.:love:

I think there was a pet shop there at one time. How's that for a coincidence? Trev and I were only talking about those shops the other day. The post office was on Carlisle Rd, can't remember exactly where but think it was in the the first block of shops. I was trying to remember all the shops, can still remember quite a few but not all.

I think there was a pet shop there at one time. How's that for a coincidence? Trev and I were only talking about those shops the other day. The post office was on Carlisle Rd, can't remember exactly where but think it was in the the first block of shops. I was trying to remember all the shops, can still remember quite a few but not all.

Dennis Collins swap shops one on corner opposite school and one on upwell st bobbies were always calling in and looking for mucky books illegal in them days:hihi::hihi:butchers was on other end of block and a fruit shop in middle where Muriel Dawson worked.

Edited by pigeon
cut

Just started a new job and recognised a face from Grimesthorpe Mark Askham eldest of 3 brothers Elsie Askhams other lads were Micheal and Martin they lived on Draper Street.... :thumbsup:

I remember a family called Askham, but don't recognise any of those names, I think it was Paul Askham? that was at school, but not in my year, he was younger than me.

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 12:06 ----------

Did Jean use to work in the butchers,just got a flash of her stood on that step.?

---------- Post added 13-08-2013 at 21:10 ----------

Strange what pops into your head Bri don't know why I thought of the gates.

I asked Sandra, no her mum(Jean) didn't work in buchers shop.

I remember a family called Askham, but don't recognise any of those names, I think it was Paul Askham? that was at school, but not in my year, he was younger than me.

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 12:06 ----------

I asked Sandra, no her mum(Jean) didn't work in buchers shop.

my imagination then George,can remember her best from Dr.leddy's

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/TJHughes-1-2013_zps38778eee.jpg

-------------

Just thought i'd put this picture on here, the new T J Hughes on the moor

opening next month sept 2013. T J Hughes staff setting up the shop.

Dont rush to spend your pennies.

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 17:51 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/TJHughes-1-2013_zps38778eee.jpg

-------------

Just thought i'd put this picture on here, the new T J Hughes on the moor

opening next month sept 2013. T J Hughes staff setting up the shop.

Dont rush to spend your pennies.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/TJHughes-2-2013_zps21030bab.jpg

This is the back side of the new market, look to the right the tallest

part of the building is the fish/meat and other things.

On front facing the moor are retail shops.

If your looking Goteom- Goerge i looked out for you today. :thumbsup:

Edited by brian1941

Hi Sheila just had my thinking cap on,going down Hunsley st on left hand side past the chapel, the shop on the corner,(in the early 50's) was a greengrocer and florist, on the block opposite as you said were a newsagent,post office with the telephone box outside,then came a pea& pie shop,then Hollands cobblers,can't remember what in between,mrs Hind I think her name was,at the end she sold wool,haberdashry and bric- a-brac,the shop on the very end corner of Carlisle road /Bland st was a beer off,the pet shop I was talking about was at very bottom of Hunsley st on the right after Ruthin st.

Left at the bottom of Moss st there was Allisons butchers,a hardware shop,a passage,Williamsons barbers, greengrocer,Mortimers grocery,Jack Ashers butchers,Dorothy Fletchers hairdressers,(Emma Green who lived on the right hand side of Hunsley st worked for the hairdresses) next came Pixleys(Buttons) bread shop,at the bottom of Grimesthorpe rd was the co-op chemist.Butlers fish and chip was on opposite corner to the Wellington. the blockof shops across the rd was the Victoria (pub) Walshes wet fish shop,Dennis Collings Fred Hearnshaws clothes shop,Newspaper and tobacconist,then I think there was a small grocery shop then the Wellington. Hope this helps any ones memory.Hope you are keeping well Sheila.Jean.

Hi, I havent been on for a while but was wondering when the next reunion was as I am looking forward to seeing everyone again. xx

Hi Sheila just had my thinking cap on,going down Hunsley st on left hand side past the chapel, the shop on the corner,(in the early 50's) was a greengrocer and florist, on the block opposite as you said were a newsagent,post office with the telephone box outside,then came a pea& pie shop,then Hollands cobblers,can't remember what in between,mrs Hind I think her name was,at the end she sold wool,haberdashry and bric- a-brac,the shop on the very end corner of Carlisle road /Bland st was a beer off,the pet shop I was talking about was at very bottom of Hunsley st on the right after Ruthin st.

Left at the bottom of Moss st there was Allisons butchers,a hardware shop,a passage,Williamsons barbers, greengrocer,Mortimers grocery,Jack Ashers butchers,Dorothy Fletchers hairdressers,(Emma Green who lived on the right hand side of Hunsley st worked for the hairdresses) next came Pixleys(Buttons) bread shop,at the bottom of Grimesthorpe rd was the co-op chemist.Butlers fish and chip was on opposite corner to the Wellington. the blockof shops across the rd was the Victoria (pub) Walshes wet fish shop,Dennis Collings Fred Hearnshaws clothes shop,Newspaper and tobacconist,then I think there was a small grocery shop then the Wellington. Hope this helps any ones memory.Hope you are keeping well Sheila.Jean.

---------------

There loverly memories Jean, this co'op chemist corner of grimesthorpe

rd bottom end when they moved didn't the shop become Dennie collins

secone hand shop. Brian. :confused: