Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi Dors, good to hear from you again, you and skippy will be preparing yourselves for a long hard winter, won't you?

waaaaahaaa waaahaaaa Bonfire at bottom of Clevedon st /Barbie on bondi beach not much differance really:hihi: glad its getting busy again is the Arms still open???

Hi Dors, good to hear from you again, you and skippy will be preparing yourselves for a long hard winter, won't you?

------------------------------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/UpwellSt25-2013_zps27c70213.jpg

Hi George, Another picture of Upwell St, i remember the paper shop

at the top and the bottom shop is where i bought my sweets from.

i never knew the owners names, can you remember Truswells Lorries

parked on that bit of Land next to the shop.

That was a nice picture Cat631 put on here of the Cottages, loverly

old pictures arn't they. :thumbsup:

brian1941 the paper shop at the bottom of Wensley street was owned by old Mrs Robinson, Graham Lees grandmother.The sweet shop was Stentons. Jean J

[quote=beezerboy;

by the way meet the wife.

You cradle snatcher Mr Sowter, haha.

Sure will. It was only 10 degs centigrade this morning, it felt a bit chilly. Warmed up this arvo though

---------- Post added 15-05-2013 at 16:23 ----------

If this works the older guys should know the building ,by the way meet the wife.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/beezerboy/summer--2010109.jpg

Glad you put that photo on - Trev couldn't remember that building when we spoke about the area - now he can see it for himself. Eileen looks very cute.

---------- Post added 15-05-2013 at 16:26 ----------

waaaaahaaa waaahaaaa Bonfire at bottom of Clevedon st /Barbie on bondi beach not much differance really:hihi: glad its getting busy again is the Arms still open???

Yep! I can see the similarity.

yep 100% correct dont think I know Ann Wood though? sure its not Ann Littlewood? they were a big family from bottom of willoby st near corporation depot .

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 17:41 ----------

Thanks for that my late father knew them both very well....

Ann and bob wood had a daughter called Debbie wood who married kevin broadhead Debbie sadly died a few years ago Ann now lives in chapeltown Ann`s mom was Mrs Yangley who lived at 17 skelwith road Ann had a brother John who emigrated to Canada

---------- Post added 15-05-2013 at 10:12 ----------

yep 100% correct dont think I know Ann Wood though? sure its not Ann Littlewood? they were a big family from bottom of willoby st near corporation depot .

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 17:41 ----------

Thanks for that my late father knew them both very well....

It was more like Lloyd street than Willoughby st Willoughby st didn't have a continuation where as the other streets did .wade street,lloyd street, robey street and popple street all continue after hinde street the littlewoods were between wade and lloyd................x

---------- Post added 15-05-2013 at 10:16 ----------

Some one has passed on to me a few back copies of The Star Retro. In the Saturday, Feb 2nd edition are two good photos of Keith Lemm hosting an open day at Wincobank Chapel.

Wesley hall was across from the boys club ,the boys club was opened by Frankie Vaughn if I remember rightly..........x

Edited by sand_dollars

I had plenty off good times at the grimesthorpe boys club with trev and plum,i can remember the camping weekends in "Lucy" the old van they had , and how trev was strict and plum let us get away with murder.Great days.Jim.

Don't suppose the plum you mention is Ray Plum from either Clevedon or I think Draper Street? My dad was Secretary of Firth Vickers Football Club in the fifties and Ray played in the team. I remember getting a lift from him in his old 1930s Riley coupe. I'm nearly 70 and Ray was a few years older than me. Last saw him at Rotherham Show about 15 years ago. He was showing flowers.

The Boys Club was opened by Frankie Vaughn, and i think he also opened the clubs at Longley and Blackburn the same day. And of course as most people in Grimesthorpe will know 'Plum' is Keith Lemm.

The Boys Club was opened by Frankie Vaughn, and i think he also opened the clubs at Longley and Blackburn the same day. And of course as most people in Grimesthorpe will know 'Plum' is Keith Lemm.

I remember his black rimmed glasses lol and a few other things too

I remember his black rimmed glasses lol and a few other things too

I can remember Debbie now she lived at wincobank near to where I was lodging at the time she used to call round and visit us on Jedburgh st and the Littlewoods did live at the very bottom opposite corperation access to yard down the jennel, sue littlewood is on here under the name minetiger!