Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Just came across this,

Wincobank Hill John Nixon, 19th Century. Sheffield City Libraries.

When summer comes on and the sweet month of June,

With its lovely attractions puts all things in tune,

If the artist should try he would fail in his skill,

To pencil the beauties of Wincobank Hill.

On natures vast grandeurs we look with delight,

The scene all around is a beautiful sight,

The flowers with fragrance the air they do fill,

These are the productions of Wincobank Hill.

How lovely, delightful, transporting it looks,

All around we see forests, meadows and brooks,

Where sweet purling waters down the valley do rill,

These are the beauties of Wincobank Hill.

No noise nor confusion through the district is heard

But the sweet noise of the warbling bird.

The schoolboys with echoes the air they do fill,

That is all that molests us on Wincobank Hill.

Then who would not wish on this hill to reside,

Where nature shines forth in the noblest of pride.

Our hearts unto Him should with gratitude fill,

Who gives us these blessings on Wincobank Hill.

Great changes, however, were about to take place with the building of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal in 1819 and the Sheffield to Rotherham railway line in 1838. By the middle of the century heavy industry and workers housing had spread down the Don Valley and, although the steep terrain restricted development to the lower slopes of the hill, the prospect was changed dramatically.

Hard to imagine.

Hi all, The shop I was asking about was a cafe, Geotom sent me a cutting of the star and it was in there. There was a big painting on Chambers Lane of a soldier and a Welcome home boys sign and a Union Jack. I'm sure the houses at the top of the lane was back to back (Annie lived in one), the pavement to them was a lot higher than the road. then there was a cottage on is own just round the corner from the Bowling Green. I worked at Homeric for about 18 months, just before I got married. I worked in thetop wharehouse then down stais in the bottom, Amy was the manager there and I'm trying to think of the others. How is Nettie keeping these days? I hope eveyone is well.

Hi all, The shop I was asking about was a cafe, Geotom sent me a cutting of the star and it was in there. There was a big painting on Chambers Lane of a soldier and a Welcome home boys sign and a Union Jack. I'm sure the houses at the top of the lane was back to back (Annie lived in one), the pavement to them was a lot higher than the road. then there was a cottage on is own just round the corner from the Bowling Green. I worked at Homeric for about 18 months, just before I got married. I worked in thetop wharehouse then down stais in the bottom, Amy was the manager there and I'm trying to think of the others. How is Nettie keeping these days? I hope eveyone is well.

Hello Gemini2 all seems well not had anyone moaning Aunt Gladys (dads sister) had the funeral last week they all gone now aunt Bette gladys and Tom hope alls well at your neck of the woods ??? gaz

Hello Gemini2 all seems well not had anyone moaning Aunt Gladys (dads sister) had the funeral last week they all gone now aunt Bette gladys and Tom hope alls well at your neck of the woods ??? gaz

We're all fine here. I think Evelyn is still alive She is our cousin but I don't know about Auntie Rosie's daughters. Evelyn was Jackie Davies (elder) sister.

We're all fine here. I think Evelyn is still alive She is our cousin but I don't know about Auntie Rosie's daughters. Evelyn was Jackie Davies (elder) sister.

Know the name will ask mum? she aint been on here for a while must visit soon and do gardens for her:roll:

Hi Guys, Does anyone have any idea when the next reunion is this year

and where will it be held, i'am sorting some holidays out.

Hi Guys, Does anyone have any idea when the next reunion is this year

and where will it be held, i'am sorting some holidays out.

I think it was agreed that it would be the last Friday in October which would make it the 26th October. I assume the venue will be the Ball Inn on Upwell Street.

I think it was agreed that it would be the last Friday in October which would make it the 26th October. I assume the venue will be the Ball Inn on Upwell Street.

Ah that club at Chapeltowns been mentioned lets have some opinions ? Balls fine but may get full due to demise of the Arms?

Owler Lane School football team, about 1958. (The year is chalked on the ball but it's not very clear).

Can you name them?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/rh200/P1050944.jpg

Top left I think it was Mr Godfrey Head Teacher.

2nd row 3rd from left Rex Bacon

!st row 1st from left (possibly) Rodney Brown.

2nd from left Ian Parkinson.

4th from left Alan Helliwell.

Goal keeper I think lived top left hand side of Botham st.

top 5th from left Malcolm xxxxxxxx springs to mind.

All were born 1943/4 I was born 43 and left at end of 57 although Rex Alan & Ian were my classmates.

Regards Alan Howsam

Edited by woodturner

Top left I think it was Mr Godfrey Head Teacher.

2nd row 3rd from left Rex Bacon

!st row 1st from left (possibly) Rodney Brown.

2nd from left Ian Parkinson.

4th from left Alan Helliwell.

Goal keeper I think lived top left hand side of Botham st.

top 5th from left Malcolm xxxxxxxx springs to mind.

All were born 1943/4 I was born 43 and left at end of 57 although Rex Alan & Ian were my classmates.

Regards Alan H

Malcolm Dickinson my uncle. Love it! I'll send hime a copy.

Regards

Brinny

Thanks cat631 another one for my family album

Regards

Brinny

Yes, I believe Mr Godfrey is top left. I recognise Rex Bacon middle row 3rd from left, who lived on Upwell Lane. Rodney Brown front row first on left, was in my class. I believe the centre with the ball is Robert Hudson.

Thanks CAT631 regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR