Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi June, do you mean Harrisons the fruit and veg shop at the corner of Adsetts Street and Grimesthorpe Road, opposite the Victoria Hotel? can't recall any other Harrisons. Mr. H. wore a brown smock and a big trilby. He would send me on an errand to the shops and reward me with fruit with the over ripe bits cut off! Kept his horse and cart in stables at the 'Old Bowling Green'. A pic of his son Walter taken in the 1920's was on Picture Sheffield.

Regards, Peter.

Hi again June, have just checked and the pic of Walter Harrison is still on despite a lot of the Grimesthorpe pics being removed for some reason. He is a child standing with a horse and cart in the 1920's and must have been in his thirties when I was a child. In pic are Grimesthorpe School, the corner of the Victoria Hotel and houses up Grimesthorpe Road. Go to http://www.picturesheffield.com click Search Picture Sheffield, click Search Database, type in Walter Harrison.

Regards, Peter.

Hi Pat,

I remember that the house on the corner of Botham St. and Carlisle Rd. used to be a shop at one time. The back door would have been in your yard. I remember going there when I was little. Can you remember the name of the people that owned it? Was it Drabble?

Hi Dors,

From my childhood visiting Patricia gro and her Mum and Dad, I do remember the name Lily Drabble. I don't know if they had a shop though.

Hopefully Pat will return to SF and clarify it.

Hi ya guys.

Thought i'd look at thread as not been on for awhile,

i dont believe this thread is three pages back.

Seems like its gone down pan since it was mentioned it become-

a chat room. ???

I remember it always been the Active thread of all.

Hi ya guys.

i don't believe this thread is three pages back.

a chat room. ???

Hi brian 1941, yes, your right, it happens now and again, someone comes on, who's not from Grimesthorpe...no names, but look back a short way...upsets people and then you don't hear of them again, only to come on and moan. It's happened before, the thread will gather strength and come back again.

Iv been reading some old Grimesthorpe history which someone might find intresting.It was wrote by George Launders (born Oct 28th 1862) he lived in a cottage by the brook (dyke) he states that a school called the Academics in 1868 was run by Miss Beardshaw on Upwell St, in a cottage opposite the old doctors.He also recalls walking on a path at the top of Wheel Lane(Chambers Lane) to Carlise St, then under a archway under the railway onto Brightside Lane,then on Newhall Road to the bridge onto the path at the side of the Don to school on Zion Lane. It is a intresting read with many facts of this area,

Southweller.

I was one of those who complained and yes I did come from grimesthorpe.

I stick to my point that some of the posts on here were just chatter. True grimesthorpe memories are always welcome. See the post by geotom as an example of non grimesthorpe chat.

its very noticable that when one asks a real question you never get a reply my very first on Grimsthorpe was trying to find my lost roots but seems two yrs ago there was NO Clarkes living in or ever had lived in Grimsthorpe now two yrs later twud seem they're all over the place they are just very shy and dont like to admit they know or are Clarkes

Iv been reading some old Grimesthorpe history which someone might find intresting.It was wrote by George Launders (born Oct 28th 1862) he lived in a cottage by the brook (dyke) he states that a school called the Academics in 1868 was run by Miss Beardshaw on Upwell St, in a cottage opposite the old doctors.He also recalls walking on a path at the top of Wheel Lane(Chambers Lane) to Carlise St, then under a archway under the railway onto Brightside Lane,then on Newhall Road to the bridge onto the path at the side of the Don to school on Zion Lane. It is a intresting read with many facts of this area,

Southweller.

Hi Southweller Where did you get the book from, I would like to know when the houses in Southwell Road was built. I recall dad saying they were built in a hurry because the railway was supposed to have come that way and our side of the road doesn't have gardens and the ones on Upwell st. had separate wash houses. Also does anyone know where the records are kept for the church yard. I know my dad's dad is buried there but not the grave.

Hi ya guys.

i dont believe this thread is three pages back.

a chat room. ???

Buddy Brian never mind one bit talking to you on any thread but for me personal my slight anoy at at Grimsthorpe thread goes way back when trying to ask a question only to be drowned out by "lets go down to the pub"and "how often do you change your rubber knickers" and when I hit the wrong button two old ladys was discusing how falsely boost up numbers by idle chat, at that time did make me a little mad the Moderators could have put a stop to S.F abuse but I did get a P.M says you'll get nowhere as one of the mods mother comes from Grimsthorpe so they can do no wrong over the last two years this as proven to be true as no other thread is allowed this freedom mumble mumble moan grumble:rant::rant::rant::hihi::hihi::hihi:

its very noticable that when one asks a real question you never get a reply my very first on Grimsthorpe was trying to find my lost roots but seems two yrs ago there was NO Clarkes living in or ever had lived in Grimsthorpe now two yrs later twud seem they're all over the place they are just very shy and dont like to admit they know or are Clarkes

I think you'll find there are plenty of Clarkes on here and have been since the start, and as for them NOT living in Grimesthorpe I think you'll find they're on the 6th generation!

Perhaps the Clarkes that you're related to don't like to admit they're related to you?

Edited by janie-m
spelling

Hello Gemini. The grave yard records and location maps for St. Thomas's are kept in Sheffield Archive on Shoreham Street.

I think you'll find there are plenty of Clarkes on here and have been since the start, and as for them NOT living in Grimesthorpe I think you'll find they're on the 6th generation!

Perhaps the Clarkes that you're related to don't like to admit they're related to you?

And i think you'll find that none had any reason to not admit since all i ask is there any Clarkes you have fallen into the same trap that being in your nasty way just to attack anyone who may not agree with your chating,now on this i may be wrong but I'm pretty sure janie was one of the names that came up while back trying to get false thread replys to boost up numbers